HKPRO Forums banner

HK91 vs PTR91 GI

6K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  retrodog 
#1 ·
I am looking to purchase a 91. Debating between a HK91 off gunbroker or a PTR91GI. Is the PTR is lesser quality than the HK? I would convert the PTR to the a4 configuration. I’m planning more on shooting than just being a safe queen. Thank you

#7 ·
Their will never be more German G3/91s.
Hey, aren't you the same guy who previously posted:

"There will never be more German SP89/MP5Ks or HK94/MP5s"

Ok, maybe that was me. So don't be the dumbass that I was, and edit this out of your post.

#6 ·
Also consider the Greek manufactured Springfield Armory SAR-3 or SAR-3/8. They are a Greek license-produced semi-auto G3 made by Hellenic Arms, and are absolutely comparable. Cheaper too, if you can find one.

I bought one in 1989 and still have it. You'll be thankful later, if you go with an HK-91 or a licensed copy.

#9 ·
Welcome to the site!!! :biggrin:

If you can afford it, go with the original HK91.
Agreed!!! :wink:

Yes.

You can find HK91 under $2,000 fairly easily. Totally worth it to go with the real Mccoy. They are extremely nice and should hold their value or even appreciate during your ownership. Their will never be more German G3/91s.
$2K- $2.25K is possible!!! :biggrin:

Also consider the Greek manufactured Springfield Armory SAR-3 or SAR-3/8. They are a Greek license-produced semi-auto G3 made by Hellenic Arms, and are absolutely comparable. Cheaper too, if you can find one.

I bought one in 1989 and still have it. You'll be thankful later, if you go with an HK-91 or a licensed copy.
Also, the PARS International G3S--- with a little patience and searching, both can be had at $1.75K. :wink:

Tony

#10 ·
I agree if you can afford the real HK model then go for it. If not, the PTR91 is a viable alternative.

I have read here about problems with recent production PTR91's, but mine from two years+ ago has been flawless and if you weren't looking at the magwell roll marks you couldn't tell the difference.

In fact, I have seen HK91's with welds that weren't as good as my PTR91.

But, as a handgun collector, I know the value of having the real deal and not a knock-off or reproduction.

#12 ·
Absolutely cool. Great Old School look. I think I remember Springfield Armory initially called them G3 sporters or some such thing, and Oberndorf went through the roof. Kinda funny, actually.

I just saw this yesterday.

https://simpsonltd.com/springfield-armory-sar-8-rifle-c43801/

$2195

That may be highish, but I think I'd pay that, if I lived in a free state, and didn't already have a grandfathered one.

#14 · (Edited)
Have had my PTR GI for almost three years never had a failure to fire or failure to eject. More than 3000 rounds thru it and the bolt gap is still well in specs. These were the problems I had.
1. Flash hider came loose. A little red locktite fixed that.
2. Cocking handle pin cracked. A couple of bucks to fix although getting the spring in is a btch.
3. My trigger group started to loosen up. Repaired with a bit of rubber and some JB.
I think for less than $1K it is a great weapon. Collect an original HK but buy a PTR as your fun shooter.

As a shooting group we are pretty lucky that PTR is in business and we should support them. If they were not around. You wouldn’t be able to find an HK less than $3K and probably wouldn’t want to use it a Saturday fun gun like you can a PTR.

These 8 shots were in a 3” 10 ring at 100 yards without a scope.

Attachments

#18 ·
Yup. Those were a different animal. Shame they even used the same nomenclature.

I believe I read that those were so bad, Springfield Armory was at one point just exchanging them for new rifles of a different model, rather than trying to fix them.

#19 ·
Hard to say. They wouldn't give me a new one in exchange. They have the policy that they will only exchange or compensate you if you wear them out to the point that the trunion gets loose, or the barrel, or whatever.

The problem is that you have to potentially put thousands of rounds through them to get them to that point. I did the math about 10 years ago, after I talked to them about it, and figured out that I'd have to spend a few thousand dollars on ammo and shoot the gun a lot more than I wanted to just to get it to the point that I could turn it in for a replacement. So it sits in the safe, next to two actual HK91s and the Federal ammo chambered PTR 91. And since one of those HK91s is a safe queen, there's three guns there that almost never get shot. :biggrin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.