What happened to Brethren Arms?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: What happened to Brethren Arms?

  1. #1
    Junior Member

    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Location : 3
    Posts : 16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default What happened to Brethren Arms?

    I bought a BAP9 (standard 9" MP5) from Brethren Arms in 2015. It was, and still is, a fantastic piece. I started looking at picking up another one from these guys, but it seems they have completely fallen off the map. New reviews are awful. No response. No website.

    What happened? They seemed to have everything going for them.
    Last edited by USN45; 02-08-2020 at 11:38 PM.

  2. #2
    Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

    Join Date : Apr 2009
    Location : Northern Virginia
    Posts : 510
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

    Default

    Roller locks are a small market, "premium clones" are an even smaller market. Today, why would anyone buy a "BAP9" when they can buy an SP5? Or Dakota, which is probably the most well known and trusted clone brand. People are rightfully wary of new brands because there have been so many busts.

    In addition to those issues, I never felt their product line gave me a compelling reason to choose them. The extras that offered in order to stand out seemed like they were geared towards the wrong market. Things like Picatinny rails instead of sights, invisible welds, etc. The vast majority of roller delayed customers wants a gun to look like it rolled off the H&K assembly line in 1985.
    sickness and Chopstix Kid like this.

  3. #3
    HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Brad4065's Avatar
    Join Date : Dec 2009
    Location : That black SUV in your driveway
    Posts : 3,870
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)

    Default

    Uhhhhhh…..yeah.....so did IGF.

    Look where that went.....quickly!!!!!
    A redneck's famous last words...."Hey everybody, watch this!"

  4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Junior Member

    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Location : 3
    Posts : 16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by freeride1 View Post
    Roller locks are a small market, "premium clones" are an even smaller market. Today, why would anyone buy a "BAP9" when they can buy an SP5? Or Dakota, which is probably the most well known and trusted clone brand. People are rightfully wary of new brands because there have been so many busts.

    In addition to those issues, I never felt their product line gave me a compelling reason to choose them. The extras that offered in order to stand out seemed like they were geared towards the wrong market. Things like Picatinny rails instead of sights, invisible welds, etc. The vast majority of roller delayed customers wants a gun to look like it rolled off the H&K assembly line in 1985.
    I agree that people are "wary of new brands", but they had tons of pending orders that were taking months (apparently years at one point) to fulfill. Demand didn't seem to be an issue.

    Also, from what I remember, they had guns that "looked" factory-spec. That addresses both market segments you're talking about.

    On the surface it was a veteran-owned business that seemed capable of top-notch custom work. Doesn't make sense, at least to me, for them to completely implode.

  6. #5
    Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

    Join Date : Apr 2009
    Location : Northern Virginia
    Posts : 510
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by USN45 View Post
    they had tons of pending orders that were taking months (apparently years at one point) to fulfill. Demand didn't seem to be an issue.

    On the surface it was a veteran-owned business that seemed capable of top-notch custom work. Doesn't make sense, at least to me, for them to completely implode.
    The bold portion would explain a lot.

    And again, there are a lot of options for "top-notch custom work," why go Brethren? Particularly once they started getting a negative reputation. Then it all started collapsing very fast. They weren't like IGF that had many years of good reviews before things went south.
    Last edited by freeride1; 02-08-2020 at 11:54 PM.

  7. #6
    Junior Member

    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Location : 3
    Posts : 16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by freeride1 View Post
    The bold portion would explain a lot.

    And again, there are a lot of options for "top-notch custom work," why go Brethren? Particularly once they started getting a negative reputation. Then it all started collapsing very fast. They weren't like IGF that had many years of good reviews before things went south.
    I'm sure their absurdly long wait times had a lot, if not everything, to do with their business failure. I guess that's what I'm curious about: why they stopped delivering.

    I don't disagree there are other options, but they initially seemed like a capable shop.

  8. #7
    Really liking this HK Stuff Member

    Join Date : Sep 2006
    Posts : 450
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

    Default

    I looked at their prices and said 'yeah, nah..' They priced themselves out of the market.
    Slytiger likes this.

  9. #8
    HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

    Join Date : May 2004
    Location : TN
    Posts : 11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Once a reputation is impugned it is hard to recover
    Lamont likes this.

  10. #9
    H&K Certified Armorer
    Chopstix Kid's Avatar
    Join Date : Nov 2007
    Location : Michigan
    Age : 48
    Posts : 8,192
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

    Default

    "We make our own spec" was their motto. Greed and ego is what ruined them.
    flybynt likes this.
    Dakota Tactical (07/C2)
    H&K Certified Armorer
    B&T Master Dealer
    Roller Locks Made Right(TM)

    Looking for a Nanuk case?
    Enjoy 15% off site wide at Hidden Content
    Use code: JSTOP15

    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content


    War does not determine who is right - only who is left. ~ Bertrand Russell

    Hidden Content

  11. #10
    The Librarian
    Oicani's Avatar
    Join Date : Feb 2013
    Location : PA
    Posts : 5,294
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

    Default

    The lawsuit with HKparts.net didn’t help either.
    "...but just like every other clone, they are copies of the original and copies are never as good as the original."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links

 
 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

brethren arms

Click on a term to search for related topics.