Issue with new PTR 91 GI....
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Issue with new PTR 91 GI....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Issue with new PTR 91 GI....

First post guys, so hello to everyone.
    Took rifle out and tried to put 40 rds out of it. Lock open action, insert mag, slap, chamber, BAM, gun cycles perfectly, chambers second rd and.....click. Manually cycle, live rd ejects with NO primer strike.
    Rechamber new rd......BAM, action cycles perfectly, chambers 2nd rd, and....click. Same thing.
    Took it down, thoroughly cleaned the gun, bolt, carrier. Did not do a great job initially of cleaning it before its first time out, so hoping it just had preservative in it.
    Any thoughts? Was shooting 2017 LC brass cased.

Oh.....on dry firing it....should the carrier move slightly when dry firing it? Seems to move a small amount forward. Worried maybe it is not fully chambering.

Again, thanks for any help guys. Love this thing.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Did you take apart the carrier and locking piece to check the firing pin and spring? Anything strange going on there?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

All seemed fine. Broke it down today, cleaned and clped everything. All looked great.
    Will shoot it again Monday. Oh, used 3 different mags. All hk, one steel and 2 alum. All seemed great. No bent lips, etc.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Sounds like bolt bounce, if your bolt latch spring is too weak the bolts inertia moving forward will bounce the carrier slightly rearward. This will cause the hammer to strike the bottom rear corner of the carrier not the firing pin. It also finishes pushing the bolt into battery which makes trying to figure out what is wrong very challenging.

Some my be break in. These rifles need about 20 rounds through them before they settle in and run. But I would bet your bolt latch spring is the culprit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well, the anti bounce spring seems good. Not sure, but its tight. Got it from Atlantic jan 22nd, really hoping I do not have to send it back.

Appreciate all and any thoughts or recommendations.

Merchant of Death (Admin)
    Mentioned
    220 Post(s)

Silly question... Did you take the weapon completely apart and clean it, put it back together and properly lightly lube it in the right places? Before its first trip to the range?
    gulfstategaurd likes this.

Wondering what happened to your posts???
    Please take a moment to re-read the terms that
    you agreed to
    when you signed up:
    Hidden Content .

Help bring sense to the NFA world, join Hidden Content .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I did not clean the bolt or carrier. First time in my life before shooting a gun I did that. Was lazy....ran a snake through the bore, cleaned the reciever. Thought the bilt would be fine until after. Now, have done a thorough job on it. Will shoot it tomorrow and report back. I noticed whatever oil or grease was on the firing pin was sticky.....hoping that's it. Fed, extracted, ejected great.....just a single shot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

40 rds later....no change.

Thoroughly cleaned sat, oiled. Same issue. Going to call Atlantic tomorrow, see what they want to do. Love these things, have a great GIR too. Want a classic GI....but one that works.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Replace the bolt latch spring and see. Its an inexpensive spring. Check the bolt latch to make sure its in good shape before ordering the spring.

Either The bolt is not going all the way forward or it is hitting and bouncing back (bolt bounce). If its bolt bounce your locking lever or spring are bad. It will create the exact situation you are describing.

With rifle empty ride bolt forward, then push into battery to see how that feels, take note if you feel any unusual friction as you do. Check the cocking tube where it enters the triple tree, is it touching one side or the other? Pull your bolt carrier and use a light to check there is not any weld burn through in the cocking tube that could be ausing friction.

Then let the bolt slam home and see if you can push it the last bit into battery. Try this a couple times because bolt bounce will not happen every time but often enough to drive you crazy.

My first G3 clone had this problem and when someone suggested bolt bounce I thought that as much of a struggle assembling the bolt with the spring that was in there it cannot be that. Well it was. Rifle has not had an issue since (thanks Ghillie)
    Last edited by gulfstategaurd; 02-17-2020 at 10:39 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Atlantic and ptr have so far been awesome. Sent prepayed ups label, and dropped it off today (friday Feb 21st, earliest I could get to ups). Will update when I hear anything. Thanks guy for all advice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links