MP5 922r/US sears, triggers, hammers, and related parts

Thread: MP5 922r/US sears, triggers, hammers, and related parts

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Default MP5 922r/US sears, triggers, hammers, and related parts

Let me start this off with a disclaimer:

This is not a thread about 922r itself, compliance, whether or not it has ever been prosecuted, whether or not it applies to SBRs, etc. I do not care. Save it for someone who does.

This thread is ONLY about the quality of existing and available US-made compliance parts.

I just received a surplus FBI 0-1 ambi lower, and the trigger pull weight is atrocious compared to my Zenith's factory lower (I'm assuming they use a reduced power trigger spring or something). My Lyman puts it around 8 lbs 10 oz or so on average; while I haven't gauged my MKE SEF lower, I'd estimate it to be just over half of that. I want to send the ambi lower off to Bill Springfield for trigger work, but since I plan to SBR this eventually, I want to send it along with US-made parts to be installed and tuned as part of the trigger work.

RTG Parts has a couple of US-made trigger components, but I'm not sure what all is compatible with the ambi pack; only the sear is mentioned as being compatible for sure. I may have to get a trigger and PTR hammer from HK Parts, as RTG is out of US-made hammers with no restock in sight, and the RTG parts Blackwing trigger is not listed as being ambi-compatible. However, I am unsure if it would be worth getting the sear from HK Parts as well; the manufacturer is not listed and I am thus unsure of the quality of the part.

Is there anything else that I should get or need to get while I'm getting these parts together, or are there other US-made options of quality that I have overlooked? At the moment I'm looking at getting a match semi-auto sear spring and US-made sear from RTG, and a US-made hammer and trigger from HK Parts along with their US-made cocking handle, but my inexperience with the ambi packs means I'm not sure if there's other parts I'd need to order as well.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Hi,
    You can get up to 4 US 922 parts for the trigger group, trigger, hammer, sear, trigger cage/box. RTG has a US ejector, but I don't think it counts and is not US marked.
    Bill
    triggerwork.net

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bspring1 View Post
    Hi,
    You can get up to 4 US 922 parts for the trigger group, trigger, hammer, sear, trigger cage/box. RTG has a US ejector, but I don't think it counts and is not US marked.
    Bill
    triggerwork.net
    I know which parts I need here, I'm just unsure of who makes the best versions of them.

RTG Parts carries hammers, sears, and triggers. The hammer is out of stock and will be for a while. The trigger is not listed as compatible with ambi trigger packs.
    HK Parts has all three. However, the sear is unmarked, and the only info I've been able to find on the current production model is that it may be a Todd Bailey part, which makes it a no-go. There is also no US-made ambi trigger box available as a standalone item; I'd have to buy the entire trigger pack from HKParts to get one which would completely defeat the purpose of buying the HK surplus lower to begin with.

Is it worth buying just the sear from RTG and then getting the hammer and trigger from HKP, or is the sear sold by HKP of good quality? Would it be better to just wait on the RTG hammer to come back in stock?

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

The trigger is/can be compatible with ambi packs, burst ambi packs require a little more work. PTR makes some of the best US parts, HKParts other brand US items work fine as well from my experience with them.
    Boll

HKPRO Professional
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

If you put a binary trigger in, not only does it vastly improve the trigger pull, you get a 4 parts bonus on 922r (box, hammer trigger, sear).
    Last edited by UltraFudd; 02-21-2020 at 03:55 AM.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I'm using a US made charging handle from HK Parts. Except for the "US" marking, it's virtually indistinguishable from the factory part. The US made wide forend from Gatewood is inexpensive but likewise a pretty good match for the factory handguard.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UltraFudd View Post
    If you put a binary trigger in, not only does it vastly improve the trigger pull, you get a 4 parts bonus on 922r (box, hammer trigger, sear).
    And at at bargain price.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I'm not at all interested in a binary trigger. If I was, I'd have bought one instead of the HK 0-1 lower and pack I received yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpyoldretiredcop View Post
    I'm using a US made charging handle from HK Parts. Except for the "US" marking, it's virtually indistinguishable from the factory part. The US made wide forend from Gatewood is inexpensive but likewise a pretty good match for the factory handguard.
    I've already got a 628 and a US wide forend for that part, and the US charging handle is on my list. Remaining parts I intend to use are trigger, hammer, and sear, then baseplates. I'm holding off on using a US-made ambi trigger box since the ones available would require me to buy another $300+ trigger pack in addition to the one I already own, and I'd get one made of aluminum for my troubles, which makes me concerned about durability given the involvement of dissimilar metals. I asked RTG if they would be getting ambi US-made trigger boxes in the future and was told they would have some "down the road," but not soon. I'll get one once they come in.

That leaves the hammer, sear, and trigger to be replaced. Given that these are critical components for function, I just need to make sure they're as high quality as possible and not something like a Bailey part that slipped in unmarked.

Sponsored Links