Rolled my first clone
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Rolled my first clone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Rolled my first clone

I haven't been on the forum in years because of work taking me to a place where the guns just weren't able to be used all that much. I got into other hobbies here, but recently had a chance to go shooting with some friends. I pulled the sbr'd BA89K out of the cabinet and took it to the range. Man is that thing fun. While there, I saw some guys shooting a variety of guns with arm braces and started to wonder if there might be something like that for a full sized MP5 variant. The mp5 doesn't make much sense as a pistol and I don't have the wherewithall to go through the stamp process again, but with an arm brace it really looks the part and would be nearly as functional as a proper rifle. Sure enough, a little research pointed to the SB Tactical and I was sold. Within a few days parts were on order. I'm always up for collecting tools and you never know how they'll come in handy, so those don't count in the budgeting process ;) I picked up a 20 ton press from harbor freight, a nice AD/DC tig welder and the HKParts bending jig. The receiver is one of theirs and is flat on top as compared to the LSC but it's cheaper as well and I didn't know whether the first attempt would turn out. Turn out, it did.
    Here's the rolled flat:
    Rolled my first clone-img-4519.jpg

Gotta post a pic of my new welder. I've got a little tig time because my dad is a welder and had a setup in the shop when I was at home back in college, but I was never good enough to produce parts for him or anything and that was a long time ago. Still, there are always projects around the house to do and for that reason I wanted something that could weld aluminum also.
    Attachment 253094

With a little practice, I was able to get the receiver welded up. It isn't pretty, but I didn't burn through the seams or completely melt the weldments so that's a plus. I'm not expecting this to be a beauty queen, just a fun, functional firearm.
    Rolled my first clone-img-4522.jpg
    Rolled my first clone-img-4523.jpg
    Attachment 253102

I priced all of the front end components separately and the $469 german front end from gatewood looked to be a pretty good value. It was slightly more overall than the sum of the parts if bought aftermarket, but the value of having a known quantity, with the barrel installed and headspaced correctly was worth the extra $65 or so that it cost. I removed and reinstalled a barrel on the K back when i first got it, and it's not terribly difficult, but to me this was a good tradeoff in $ vs. labor. Feeler guages show .019 with an RCM bolt and standard rollers, and the barrel looks spotless with clean chamber, rifling and crown.
    It seems like I got good penetration into the trunion with the spot welds. I made a tight fitting copper heat sink for the cocking tube and although the outside isn't beautiful, the inside is smooth.
    Rolled my first clone-img-4529.jpg

The mag release and paddle were installed and the pin welded up then everything was lightly blasted before being hit with a coat of semi gloss engine enamel. It won't hold up long-term, but looks fine for the time being. I borrowed the semi trigger group from the Bellator and clipped a $9 SEF lower to get everything tested out with. I love the ergonomics of the contoured SUO on the little brother, and will probably put one of those on there eventually.
    Attachment 253104

And with little brother..
    Rolled my first clone-img-4541.jpg

Fully furnished, it was time to test. So far, I dumped a half of a mag into the dirt without a single failure and am thrilled. Hopefully before too long I'll get to the range and really put it through its paces.

As far as total cost, I already had a spare RCM bolt and locking piece sitting around so I just had to buy the carrier and, as I said, i'm borrowing the trigger group for now, so all told I've currently got about $1100 in the gun not counting tools. That puts it in at just slightly under the price of a commercially built clone but this wasn't about getting one cheaper, it was about doing it myself. All in all it was a fun project and hopefully encouraging that anyone who is moderately handy and does sufficient research can do this. I've already got one of those $99 CETME kits on order and can't wait to see how that turns out!
    Last edited by jredd246; 02-24-2020 at 07:26 PM.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Congrats on the build!!!! And you got off cheap considering cost of parts kits these days but with good parts it should serve you well.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good build. And if by hassle of getting a stamp you're referring to the time involved, it's taking about 4-5 weeks for a Form 1.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

4-5 weeks? That’s insane! I waited 6-9 months for the other one! That was one part of the hassle i was talking about, the other was getting the leo sign off and fingerprints. I live in Delaware now and SBR’s are the only stamped items allowed. as such, it doesn’t seem like anyone wants to mess with them...
    BulkHead likes this.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

An electronic filing Form 1 is running 4 to 5 weeks. I have mine all set up in trusts, so I don't have to worry about CLEO sign off anyway, but I -think- they did away with that with the rules that went into place a few years ago. You might want to check on that though and I'm not sure how you were filing.
    Now there is a CLEO notification, which basically just means that one of the forms that you submit goes to the CLEO but it is solely an FYI form and isn't an approval at all.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

How did it smoke? Oh, did I misread the title? ;-)

Hell of an effort, good job, Congrats... !
    "Just because you're paranoid doesnít mean they're not after you!"

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

"Amat victoria curam"

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Obama got rid of the CLEO sigh off when he changed the rules on trusts.
    On form 1 you will have 2 copies of the CLEO notification form.
    One goes with the rest of the paperwork electronically to the ATF.
    The other that says CLEO copy gets mailed to the CLEO.
    I send it by certified mail.

I send the finger print cards by priority mail to the ATF.
    The local PD charges $10.00 for all the ink prints you want. Just bring the FBI cards to put the prints on. You can order them online.
    I fill them out at home except for the signature. Go down to the PD give the officer my ID and 10.00. He checks them over for mistakes has me sign them. Then he puts his information and signature. Then off to the ink station.
    Always asks if Iím building this stuff to sell. Nope only for me.

The first time that you file electronically takes a little while to set up. After that it is pretty easy log on and file.
    Also Iíve only gotten the ATF site to work on my IPad and FireFox on the PC.

Time to receive stamp from e-filing has run me 4 to 5 weeks in TX.
    Beats the hell out of waiting 9 months for my first form 4ís.
    Especially if you like to roll your own.

BTW: Nice work on a first build!
    Last edited by HD Bee; 02-25-2020 at 10:39 AM.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.
    Benjamin Franklin.

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
    Hunter S. Thompson

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)

Excellent build!!!

Tony

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Looks great! I've always wanted to build one

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links