C93 and steel HK mags
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: C93 and steel HK mags

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default C93 and steel HK mags

Picked up a C93 this past weekend from my LGS. It came with the one 40 rd aluminum magazine. Took it out to the range and it functions just fine. (A part from it's desire to throw the brass 15-20' at the 1:30-2:00 position.)

I picked up some steel HK mags from an online vendor. I know that others have reported issues with them and the C93, but I decided to take a shot. Well, it's having problems.

I can get all the mags to seat with an open bolt. However, on some mags the bolt won't close and on others after it closes, it won't open again without dropping the mag. If I press the mag release button on the side, leaving the mag it place, the bolt moves just fine back and forth. It's almost like the mag button is putting pressure on the left side of the magazine, pushing it inwards.

Looking for suggestions on how to fix this. As I'm a noob where it comes to this platform, pics would help.

Thanks,
    John

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Your mag release height may be too high. Or one side of the release is angled Compare the functional mag to the new ones that are not working. Try a side by side to compare the feed lips to see if the lips are higher on the new mags.

Lock bolt to rear, insert the functional mag and watch how the bolt travels over it as you cycle it. Its relation to the feed lips. Then try again with the new mags that are not working to see the differences.

You may be able to adjust the mags to get them to work with the rifle as is. There may be other solutions but first get a better understanding of why the one set of mags being newer HK mags and presumably to correct specifications will not work compared to the older mag.

Also you mentioned pressing the release but leaving mag in rifle, have you pressed the release partway so it doesnt disengage from the mag (you can gently tug on mag with out it coming loose) and see if the bolt travels then?
    If you are pressing the release and the bolt acts fine I suspect the pressure of the mag against bottom of bolt is what is holding the bolt up. When you hit release it is allowing mag to drop the little bit it needs to allow proper bolt travel.
    Last edited by gulfstategaurd; 03-05-2020 at 02:42 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I took photos of the steel and aluminum mags side by side, as well as the bolt where it hangs up on the mag. However, apparently as a new user I can't post photos or links to photos. Frustrating.

Any suggestions?

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Vendor

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

replace your mag catch first and see if that corrects the problem

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gm View Post
    replace your mag catch first and see if that corrects the problem
    Ordered. Will give it a try when the parts arrive.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

If it doesnt work I will buy the HK steel 30s!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

New mag release in and it's still the same. I did notice that the aluminum mag has a slightly different shape at the top side of the mag catch slot than the steel mag. Aluminum mag is flat across the top and the steel mags all have a slight turn upwards towards the rear of the mag. Could this be the issue? I can't quite post pics yet, but I have them uploaded to my flickr site if anybody wants to take a look. It won't let me share a link, but if you PM me I can send you the link.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ok, since you know how to replace the mag catch, take it out and put in the working mag and look in the mag catch hole. Now do the same with new mags and I'll be you'll see where the problem is. I'm guessing your mag catch is out of spec / cut in the wrong spot (my PTR93 is the same way). I'll also bet the the working mag had some file work done on the mag stops on the side to get it to lock in the gun, but that can allow the feed lips to go too far into the gun and drag on the bolt. I was able to grind on my mag catch just a little to get it to lock in with factory mags, so all is good now.

Or it could be that the mag well is too long / short, any number of things I guess. Start with the mag catch window and let us know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

C93 and steel HK mags-dsc_1854.jpg

C93 and steel HK mags-dsc_1856.jpg

C93 and steel HK mags-dsc_1839.jpg

First pic is aluminum mag, second is steel mag. Third pic is both mags side by side. (Aluminum on left.)

There appears to be some work done on the aluminum mag.

Is the fix to file all the steel mages to fit? Or file on the top of the mag catch?
    Last edited by john_h; 03-14-2020 at 12:28 PM.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott in IN View Post
    Ok, since you know how to replace the mag catch, take it out and put in the working mag and look in the mag catch hole. Now do the same with new mags and I'll be you'll see where the problem is. I'm guessing your mag catch is out of spec / cut in the wrong spot (my PTR93 is the same way). I'll also bet the the working mag had some file work done on the mag stops on the side to get it to lock in the gun, but that can allow the feed lips to go too far into the gun and drag on the bolt. I was able to grind on my mag catch just a little to get it to lock in with factory mags, so all is good now.

Or it could be that the mag well is too long / short, any number of things I guess. Start with the mag catch window and let us know.
    This right here^^^. You have an extra mag catch. Do as he suggested and pull the catch and check catch alignment on mags and catch slot. Take your time and modify the old catch with a dremel or small grinder. I usually sand, reduce grit, and polish the outside of the catch where it contacts mag to allow the mags to glide in and eject how I like and function perfectly.
    A voice from the past whispers in my ear, “Brethren, keep your powder dry.”

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links