G3K/Carbine Build Question
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TuffNutt

Thread: G3K/Carbine Build Question

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default G3K/Carbine Build Question

G3K/Carbine Build Question-g3-g3k-16.png

Greetings all. I am a relative newcomer to the HK world and wanted to solicit some input on a project I am considering. I am trying to build or modify an existing clone that is essentially a G3K but with a 16” barrel, G3K length cocking tube and handguards, and a fixed stock. I guess you could call it a G3 Carbine of sorts. I understand that in practical terms this does not greatly shorten the length of the rifle, but I like the aesthetics of it. I have attached a photo for reference showing what I am trying to build in comparison to a full length G3.

Not looking for anything fancy or super detailed, just something generally meets these specs, works reliably, and doesn’t break the bank.

I am not a gunsmith and do not have the tools to become one. Any work that I do to these guns I would have to have someone else do professionally.

I’ve narrowed it down to three basic options:

Option 1:
    -Buy a PTR 91 GI
    -Purchase a G3K cocking tube, 16” barrel, and HK33 handguard (painted green)
    -Have these professionally installed

Estimated ~$930 for the base rifle, $330 for parts = $1260 plus unknown labor costs

-Is it possible to just shorten the existing barrel and move the front sight, etc. back to accommodate the shorter handguard? (If so, this could cut down the parts cost)

Option 2:
    -Buy a PTR 104 KFM4R
    -Install a metal trigger group (looks fairly straightforward from the research I’ve done provided you get the correct parts)
    -Install a standard G3 stock and HK33 handguards (painted green)
    -Have the receiver optics rail ground off

Estimated ~$1310 for the base rifle, ~$175 for parts = $1485 plus the labor to have the optics rails removed

Option 3:
    -Buy a G3 parts kit
    -Buy a receiver
    -Buy a G3K cocking tube, 16” barrel, and HK33 handguard (painted green)

Estimating ~$375 for parts kit, ~$330 for front end assembly, ~$280 for receiver = $985 plus unknown labor costs

Please let me know if I’m overlooking anything here. Would also appreciate recommendations as to places that might be able to do some of this custom work and/or experiences from those who have tried something similar.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)

Welcome to the site!!!!!

Personally....if this was my project, I'd contact Ralph @RDTS

You'll thank me later.

Cheers and good luck with your project!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Teel86 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	G3 and G3K 16.png 
Views:	33 
Size:	385.3 KB 
ID:	255030

Greetings all. I am a relative newcomer to the HK world and wanted to solicit some input on a project I am considering. I am trying to build or modify an existing clone that is essentially a G3K but with a 16” barrel, G3K length cocking tube and handguards, and a fixed stock. I guess you could call it a G3 Carbine of sorts. I understand that in practical terms this does not greatly shorten the length of the rifle, but I like the aesthetics of it. I have attached a photo for reference showing what I am trying to build in comparison to a full length G3.

Not looking for anything fancy or super detailed, just something generally meets these specs, works reliably, and doesn’t break the bank.

I am not a gunsmith and do not have the tools to become one. Any work that I do to these guns I would have to have someone else do professionally.

I’ve narrowed it down to three basic options:

Option 1:
    -Buy a PTR 91 GI
    -Purchase a G3K cocking tube, 16” barrel, and HK33 handguard (painted green)
    -Have these professionally installed

Estimated ~$930 for the base rifle, $330 for parts = $1260 plus unknown labor costs

-Is it possible to just shorten the existing barrel and move the front sight, etc. back to accommodate the shorter handguard? (If so, this could cut down the parts cost)

Option 2:
    -Buy a PTR 104 KFM4R
    -Install a metal trigger group (looks fairly straightforward from the research I’ve done provided you get the correct parts)
    -Install a standard G3 stock and HK33 handguards (painted green)
    -Have the receiver optics rail ground off

Estimated ~$1310 for the base rifle, ~$175 for parts = $1485 plus the labor to have the optics rails removed

Option 3:
    -Buy a G3 parts kit
    -Buy a receiver
    -Buy a G3K cocking tube, 16” barrel, and HK33 handguard (painted green)

Estimating ~$375 for parts kit, ~$330 for front end assembly, ~$280 for receiver = $985 plus unknown labor costs

Please let me know if I’m overlooking anything here. Would also appreciate recommendations as to places that might be able to do some of this custom work and/or experiences from those who have tried something similar.
    A redneck's famous last words...."Hey everybody, watch this!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'd recommend you check out the PTR K3P. I was kicking around the idea of sending my full size PTR off to have it chopped, but it didnt seem to make sense with the cost of the rifle and the additional cost of the work plus the waiting on having it done. You can E-File a tax stamp (wait times are about 30 days) and you'll probably still get this thing back cheaper and quicker than having one built. Or get the K3P and a longer G3 profile barrel and have someone do the install for you. My goal was slightly different than yours, as I like the 12.5-ish inch barrel and handling characteristics of my 33K klone, so I wanted that to carry over to the 7.62 carbine.

Here is the TFB rifle that got me interested to begin with:

G3K/Carbine Build Question-e51cbade-5d4b-49d4-b11a-e438e1bfa9f8.jpeg

I ended up going with that model, as I felt it was as close as I could get to the 5.56 Roller gun I already had, but in 7.62. They can be had from Atlantic, or on gunbroker.

G3K/Carbine Build Question-z43.jpg

Thats My Z43P - The hardest thing to find was the damn Tropical Green HK 93 length forend. I had a spare, so naturally it will go on the K3P.

Will update with a picture of my K3P when it is finished.
    Last edited by sv30cal; 03-27-2020 at 10:44 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sv30cal View Post
    I'd recommend you check out the PTR K3P. I was kicking around the idea of sending my full size PTR off to have it chopped, but it didnt seem to make sense with the cost of the rifle and the additional cost of the work plus the waiting on having it done. You can E-File a tax stamp (wait times are about 30 days) and you'll probably still get this thing back cheaper and quicker than having one built. Or get the K3P and a longer G3 profile barrel and have someone do the install for you. My goal was slightly different than yours, as I like the 12.5-ish inch barrel and handling characteristics of my 33K klone, so I wanted that to carry over to the 7.62 carbine.

Here is the TFB rifle that got me interested to begin with:

Name:	E51CBADE-5D4B-49D4-B11A-E438E1BFA9F8.jpeg 
Views:	34 
Size:	180.6 KB 
ID:	255034

I ended up going with that model, as I felt it was as close as I could get to the 5.56 Roller gun I already had, but in 7.62. They can be had from Atlantic, or on gunbroker.

Name:	z43.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	1.88 MB 
ID:	255036

Thats My Z43P - The hardest thing to find was the damn Tropical Green HK 93 length forend. I had a spare, so naturally it will go on the K3P.

Will update with a picture of my K3P when it is finished.
    This. Why not just get a K3P and be done with it?

I have one and I'm happy with it.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Buy this:
    https://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/G...IT-26p6018.htm
    Send to Jeff at PCS.
    Done.
    Alembic likes this.

Sponsored Links