Does PTR no longer offer "smithing" services?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Alembic

Thread: Does PTR no longer offer "smithing" services?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Does PTR no longer offer "smithing" services?

I have read, and heard, numerous PTR owners say they have sent their guns off to PTR for numerous things, barrel swaps to a shorter length, picatinny sight rails being welded to the top, etc. I asked PTR if they would weld a rail on and they said no, plain and simple- is this something they used to offer (2010-2018) and just no longer do? Is it something they are refusing now due to the issue with COVID? I am uncertain, but I imagine someone on here may know more.

Thanks all- since they said no I have decided to just get a MFI rail for my Burris RT6, but this question is really just eating at the back of my head.

Edit: Also, out of curiosity, why do some G3 clone bolts not have the weld extend all the way forward? My JLD PTR has the full weld wherever the charging rod contacts the bolt, but I noticed that new PTR's do not, what is the reasoning for that?
    Last edited by JokerOne; 03-27-2020 at 10:29 PM.

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I thought it was Zenith doing the custom work for people? Good chance I am wrong tho LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

According to their site, Zenith does offer various services, and on other brand guns.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Vendor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

We have worked with PTR for the last 15 -18 years and not aware of them offering custom smithing services . You may be confusing them with the Zenith folks .
    Atlantic Firearms.com
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I just exchanged emails with PTR. They would not install a paddle release. PTR, in their email to me, recommended MidWest Gunworks to do the work.

To the best of my memory, in the past, pre South Carolina, if you had a warranty repair, and asked nicely, they would install a picatinny rail or a paddle. However, PTR has evolved over the years, many different locations, names, barrels, flutes, and management philosophies.

It would be nice if they added a real custom shop, but I wouldn't hold my breath. The trend in the industry, for major manufacturers, has been just the opposite.
    JokerOne likes this.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alembic View Post
    I just exchanged emails with PTR. They would not install a paddle release. PTR, in their email to me, recommended MidWest Gunworks to do the work.

To the best of my memory, in the past, pre South Carolina, if you had a warranty repair, and asked nicely, they would install a picatinny rail or a paddle. However, PTR has evolved over the years, many different locations, names, barrels, flutes, and management philosophies.

It would be nice if they added a real custom shop, but I wouldn't hold my breath. The trend in the industry, for major manufacturers, has been just the opposite.

If you're handy with a drill you can DIY for the paddle mag release.
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/860506021
    PTR 91 A3R
    PTR 51P PDW
    PTR C93
    BPP 94

Sponsored Links