PTR-91 destroying magazines
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: PTR-91 destroying magazines

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default PTR-91 destroying magazines

I was recently shooting my ptr-91 GIR from the bench and had the rifle destroy two magazines. Each time it happened it was after firing the last round in the magazine, and each time the follower had somehow managed to get picked up by the bolt and smashed forward, sitting almost vertical while pinned in place by the bolt.The magazine was contacting the bench when this was happening and that’s the only thing I could imagine causing this, but that seems unlikely. Ammo was Wolf .308 which I’ve had no issues with previously. Has anyone else ever seen this happen before or know the cause?

I’ve attached a picture of the busted magazine, both looked exactly like this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PTR-91 destroying magazines-24c6a76c-5f32-4f0c-9814-a3e4bdb2fb58_1587275507737.jpeg  

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Put a fresh mag in the rifle with the bolt latched to the rear, ride the bolt forward (as you watch through the ejection port) to see how it interacts with the empty magazine. Try a couple times normal, then try to recreate the issue by pushing rifle down against firm surface as you ride the bolt forward
    I would assume it is related to a mag height issue. Looks like you are using surpus mags. So it may or may not be a magazine issue..

For the mags, have you been able to reassemble them afterwards? I would drop the floor plate pull the spring the rest of way out the magazine through the top, then reinstall. Check the feedlips carefully for bending or damaged. Also check the magazine for condition and how the feed guide is retained in the magazine.It is unusual for a bolt to catch the feedguide without the feedlips being out of spec. As the bolt rides forward the lower lugs travel between the feedlips to catch the round in the magazine. Unless that portion of the bolt head is out of spec or the magazines are out of spec? I find it odd, first time heard of a G3 clone doing that trick.

I would then reach out to PTR Customer service once you have a solid bead on what is happening. They are usually pretty good with their customer service.
    Last edited by gulfstategaurd; 04-19-2020 at 12:32 PM.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

For clarification, the "feed guide" referenced to above is what most of the rest of us call the "follower".

I've never seen this issue before and find it a real eyebrow raiser. The advice above is solid so give it a whirl and report back.
    I don't "run" my guns or "run" anything on them. Likewise, none of my guns are "platforms". I hold them up, not the other way around.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I’ve actually already tried that. I used multiple different surplus steel and aluminum magazines, inserted each different mag and put all my weight on top of the rifle, then cycled the bolt, no issues, no catching or hang ups at all. The magazines that were destroyed were both HK surplus aluminum, in good condition. I haven’t tried reassembling the magazine pictured in my previous post. The second magazine that this happened to cannot be reassembled as the bolt broke off one of the tabs that secure the follower and took a chunk off the rear of the follower as well. Pics included of that specific mag.

I appreciate the replies and I’m equally confused by how strange this is, I’ve never heard of or seen a rifle malfunction in this way and I’m just baffled.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PTR-91 destroying magazines-fa148472-d47a-4718-82c6-6451ab62059c_1587302427818.jpeg   PTR-91 destroying magazines-a1f22fc6-e09f-464c-8863-4e59389b668b_1587302445804.jpeg  

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Take the stock off and check the bolt carrier to rail clearance. If the bolt carrier has a lot of up and down movement that could be your problem.
    The spring pushing the top of the rear of the bolt carrier will cause the front of the bolt to nosedive.
    Also check the bolt and locking piece for up and down movement in the carrier. You may need to replace the locking lever and spring.
    Those are the only things that I can thing of other than the mag sitting to high that would cause that.
    Alembic likes this.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.
    Benjamin Franklin.

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
    Hunter S. Thompson

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

The rear of the follower is ramped or beveled so the bolt head can push the follower out of the way as it rides over the follower in an empty mag situation. If there's an issue with the mag, ie: follower incorrect or damaged, feed lips bent or damaged, the follower can ride too high in the mag. If this happens then the square rear end of the follower will be exposed to the bolt head. The bolt head can catch this surface instead of sliding passed it.
    Last edited by hkshooterusp; 04-21-2020 at 12:17 AM.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I doubt it is a magazine issue. OP mentioned using two different mags. Hk surplus mags, Rheinmetal, FMP etc, etc are known to be reliable. If mags were the problem, I imagine this issue would have surfaced some other time in the last 30 years.

I would guess the PTR mag well is out of spec and allowing the mag to move to high in the receiver or the rails are causing the bolt carrier to run too low, as @HD Bee mentions. The clue is that shooting off the bench pushing the magazine up.

I would insert the magazine and pull it as low as possible then run the bolt carrier and see if it hits the mag and follower.

Is the magazine loose in the mag well? Up and down play?

Just a guess.
    Last edited by Alembic; 04-21-2020 at 06:53 PM.

Really liking this HK Stuff Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Have you tried a new mag, not a used surplus?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would try swapping out the mag release for a surplus or new one. Maybe the locking piece is not in spec anymore?

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

How old is the rifle and how many rounds do you have through it?
    If it’s old and just started doing this, would mean a wear problem.

If it’s new then it could be out of spec.
    The ribs on the mag should sit against the bottom of the mag well and keep it from sitting too high.
    Last edited by HD Bee; 04-23-2020 at 06:42 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links