B&T TL99 installation problem on Zenith-5RS

Thread: B&T TL99 installation problem on Zenith-5RS

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Default B&T TL99 installation problem on Zenith-5RS

I ordered the TL99 from HKwebsite Monday. The coupon giddyupma5 still worked for 15% off. Pretty good price, especially for B&T. It came in today. Very fast! When I tried to put it on my Z-5RS, the pin hole on the right hand side didn't line up. The instruction specifically says to put the pin through from the left. Not sure why it needs to be this way, but okay. Here is a pic... I will have to borrow my neighbor's dremel tool. I have read that some people are having the same problem. It either didn't fit or very tight. Is the pin hole position different for clones?

B&T TL99 installation problem on Zenith-5RS-tl99_problem.jpg

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The TL-99 is a notoriously tight fit. I recall the instructions even state that a few taps from a rubber hammer might be needed to seat the grip properly. It is rock solid fit.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by armedjetflyer View Post
    The TL-99 is a notoriously tight fit. I recall the instructions even state that a few taps from a rubber hammer might be needed to seat the grip properly. It is rock solid fit.
    I tried tapping it with a rubber mallet, but nope. Didn't budge at all. I also shaved off a little bit of the material in the pinhole with a blade, but that wasn't enough either. I think I need to take 10-15 mils off with a dremel.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Is the plate on the inside adjustable?
    If not I would take a little of the back end of the plate where it meets the trunnion. So you don’t end up with funny looking oblong holes.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.
    Benjamin Franklin.

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HD Bee View Post
    Is the plate on the inside adjustable?
    If not I would take a little of the back end of the plate where it meets the trunnion. So you don’t end up with funny looking oblong holes.
    The plate is one piece that drapes over the barrel. And it has both left and right holes. It doesn't look like it can be easily moved. Even if I could, the right hole would be out of alignment. Really don't see another solution if I want to use this light.
    Last edited by vtducrider; 05-08-2020 at 05:51 PM.

pin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You need to run a screwdriver through both holes and use it to line the holes up perfectly.

It requires a bit of trial and error, but you can do it with just a flashlight, screwdriver, and patience.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I got the pin in!

My neighbor had loaned out his dremel set, and I had some more time to tinker with it. I kept shaving off more material from the inside, and eventually the pin went in with a few taps using a rubber mallet. You can tell from the pic the hole is off alignment. I am a little surprised that a B&T's product needs additional tweaking to fit on the gun. Maybe this part of the spec is different on a genuine HK? Anyway, it doesn't look too bad. Where I shaved off in the hole is not visible. It wasn't too bad to get it to fit, like I said I was just a little surprised.

Attachment 259628

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vtducrider View Post
    I got the pin in!

My neighbor had loaned out his dremel set, and I had some more time to tinker with it. I kept shaving off more material from the inside, and eventually the pin went in with a few taps using a rubber mallet. You can tell from the pic the hole is off alignment. I am a little surprised that a B&T's product needs additional tweaking to fit on the gun. Maybe this part of the spec is different on a genuine HK? Anyway, it doesn't look too bad. Where I shaved off in the hole is not visible. It wasn't too bad to get it to fit, like I said I was just a little surprised.

Attachment 259628
    ugh i hope i don't have to deal with this on my pof5 tomorrow

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vtducrider View Post
    The plate is one piece that drapes over the barrel. And it has both left and right holes. It doesn't look like it can be easily moved. Even if I could, the right hole would be out of alignment. Really don't see another solution if I want to use this light.
    I was talking about the plate inside the handguard.
    If this is the right one.
    Where it meets the trunnion. Just take a little off so the handguard can move back further.
    B&T TL99 installation problem on Zenith-5RS-04eb1b72-f033-42ca-a167-924a507bad78.jpeg

Glad you got it to work!
    Last edited by HD Bee; 05-10-2020 at 07:28 AM.

Sponsored Links