HKPRO Forums banner

New to me PTR-91F

915 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Tonyt915 
#1 ·
Got this one in a trade and looks to be an older model but never fired. I can’t find much info on it. One ad says heavy match grade barrel but all the PTR rifles list match grade barrel Haha. I’m not a huge fan of the M-lok fore grip and was wondering if the HK wide fore grip would fit. Also would it be worth the cost to add the paddle mag release? This won’t be my forever 91 cause I would like to own the real thing at some point. So don’t want to invest a bunch if there’s no return when I sell the PTR. Also is there anything I inspect before shooting?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
PTR's bull barrels are made by Thompson Center (regular ones are made by Green Mountain). PTR uses 5R rifling in their barrels for improved accuracy.

Just to note, the handguard isn't M Lok, it has screw holes where you can attach picatinny rails.

I think that the paddle release is well worth adding, these rifles weren't designed to use the button all the time. It may be worth hanging onto the PTR after you acquire a original HK91 as you can put all the rounds through the PTR as you'd like without the worry of wear and tear.

#4 ·
When JLD started making these guns, they only had the heavy barrel. They were made by Wilson. They ate any ammo with no problem. When PTR took over, they changed to the TC barrel. That’s when the gun started choking on surplus ammo, & PTR said use commercial ammo at three times the price. When I bought my JLD, the seller had a real 91 next to it at three times the price. I carefully compared both, & the PTR was just as good. Remember, back then they used real contract parts. Mine came with a Rheinmetall carrier, & new POF bolt. Now, these BCG’s are made in the USA. GARY.

#5 ·
I remember those days. I believe PTR was actually named PTR-91 back then and their 91 rifles were excellent because of the use of German new and used parts. By the time they started making MP5 imitations they were using so many inferior parts that I usually have to put $800 worth of German HK parts into them to get 100% reliability for my customers. I try to steer people to Ralph at RDTS or Ralph Jr. or Dakota if they want a nice MP5.

#7 ·
Thanks for the info and bit of history. Took it apart to clean “ had some brown oil that was turning into goo” and lightly lube. The action feel 100% better than Century C308. Also can pretty sure say it’s never been fired after seeing it disassembled.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.