New to me PTR-91F
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By N4KVE

Thread: New to me PTR-91F

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default New to me PTR-91F

Got this one in a trade and looks to be an older model but never fired. I can’t find much info on it. One ad says heavy match grade barrel but all the PTR rifles list match grade barrel Haha. I’m not a huge fan of the M-lok fore grip and was wondering if the HK wide fore grip would fit. Also would it be worth the cost to add the paddle mag release? This won’t be my forever 91 cause I would like to own the real thing at some point. So don’t want to invest a bunch if there’s no return when I sell the PTR. Also is there anything I inspect before shooting?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New to me PTR-91F-00819d9d-fa3d-43a6-9125-0c2e736ee106_1590758361389.jpeg   New to me PTR-91F-a26f31a7-6838-4479-bec8-0d035038784a_1590758375028.jpeg  

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)

Nice acquisition!!!

Tony

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

PTR's bull barrels are made by Thompson Center (regular ones are made by Green Mountain). PTR uses 5R rifling in their barrels for improved accuracy.

Just to note, the handguard isn't M Lok, it has screw holes where you can attach picatinny rails.

I think that the paddle release is well worth adding, these rifles weren't designed to use the button all the time. It may be worth hanging onto the PTR after you acquire a original HK91 as you can put all the rounds through the PTR as you'd like without the worry of wear and tear.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Desperately Needs Treatment

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

When JLD started making these guns, they only had the heavy barrel. They were made by Wilson. They ate any ammo with no problem. When PTR took over, they changed to the TC barrel. That’s when the gun started choking on surplus ammo, & PTR said use commercial ammo at three times the price. When I bought my JLD, the seller had a real 91 next to it at three times the price. I carefully compared both, & the PTR was just as good. Remember, back then they used real contract parts. Mine came with a Rheinmetall carrier, & new POF bolt. Now, these BCG’s are made in the USA. GARY.
    gsyoung54 likes this.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I remember those days. I believe PTR was actually named PTR-91 back then and their 91 rifles were excellent because of the use of German new and used parts. By the time they started making MP5 imitations they were using so many inferior parts that I usually have to put $800 worth of German HK parts into them to get 100% reliability for my customers. I try to steer people to Ralph at RDTS or Ralph Jr. or Dakota if they want a nice MP5.

Quote Originally Posted by N4KVE View Post
    When JLD started making these guns, they only had the heavy barrel. They were made by Wilson. They ate any ammo with no problem. When PTR took over, they changed to the TC barrel. That’s when the gun started choking on surplus ammo, & PTR said use commercial ammo at three times the price. When I bought my JLD, the seller had a real 91 next to it at three times the price. I carefully compared both, & the PTR was just as good. Remember, back then they used real contract parts. Mine came with a Rheinmetall carrier, & new POF bolt. Now, these BCG’s are made in the USA. GARY.

George from Alaska

HK45T DA/SA, HK45T Light LEM, Mark 23 90's era, no lockout, P30L v3, P30L Light LEM, USP .45 Elite
    rrMP5 SEF select fire - Flemming from a 94
    IGF MP5 SBR - now a post sample
    IGF HK33 pistol - now a post sample
    RDTS MP5 pistol from a German HK parts kit - now a post sample
    RDTS MP5 SD pistol from a German HK parts kit - now a post sample
    TSC MP5K N pistol from a German SP89 - now a post sample
    bunch of suppressors
    other NFA machine guns
    07/02

Desperately Needs Treatment

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gsyoung54 View Post
    I remember those days. I believe PTR was actually named PTR-91 back then and their 91 rifles were excellent because of the use of German new and used parts. By the time they started making MP5 imitations they were using so many inferior parts that I usually have to put $800 worth of German HK parts into them to get 100% reliability for my customers. I try to steer people to Ralph at RDTS or Ralph Jr. or Dakota if they want a nice MP5.
    I couldn’t agree more. The company was JLD when they started, & the PTR91 was the gun they made. Then an investor took over then they changed barrel vendors. JLD were the initials of the first owner who originally imported the equipment from Portugal. GARY

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the info and bit of history. Took it apart to clean “ had some brown oil that was turning into goo” and lightly lube. The action feel 100% better than Century C308. Also can pretty sure say it’s never been fired after seeing it disassembled.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New to me PTR-91F-55054612-224a-492a-b8f7-ae2c5a05b408_1590782547837.jpeg   New to me PTR-91F-357b4bcd-2ad3-4429-b191-a2e315ae36a2_1590782565052.jpeg   New to me PTR-91F-536f6751-acbf-45c2-bcc5-80ca498c771e_1590782583976.jpeg  

Sponsored Links