HKPRO Forums banner

Did Mr. Getz mark his builds in anyway?

4K views 33 replies 12 participants last post by  AceHK 
#1 ·
I’m wondering if he marked his builds in any specific manner that i would be able to tell that he actually built it and it not be a factory bailey build?

#4 ·
I have one of full size 89 guns. No markings out of the ordinary except his DJ Getz stamp on the magwell. The finish on his guns seems a little different than others I've seen. It was a catalyzed industrial paint. Thicker than Cerakote. Mine has more of a satin appearance, not quite glossy.

#11 ·
#12 · (Edited)
That is the one! so it’s legit than and a quality K clone?
He didn't say that.

ETA: It came out of Spring Lake, Michigan, so definitely a Special Weapons (Todd Bailey) receiver. Dave may have sold the barreled upper as part of the Black Market Parts liquidation. But unless it has his name on it - likely he never touched it. It'll probably run just fine though.

#14 ·
i asked these questions of the seller shortly before i made this post:

Hi there can you show me DJs marks on this? or proof that he built it and it’s not just a special weapons produced clone?

This was the sellers response:

Getz did not mark these guns. As the pics show...it's marked Special Weapons on the magwell and SW89k on top. This pistol is from one of the last runs (or the last?) Getz did before he retired due to medical reasons. IIRC, SW made and marked receivers with Getz's info for him which he normally used. My guess is he wanted to do a final run of guns and didn't want to wait on SW to make a run of "Getz" receivers. I bought this pistol and 2 other directly from Getz at the time (total of 3). I've used one set up with my sear ever since and the other 2 went unused...it's just time to sell my unused SP89k's. The SP89k hosting my sear has been a "home run" with regard to performance and reliability.

Proof? Nope...other than I'm the original purchaser and you have my word and track record to see (vs no track record for you?). You can also do google and HKPro searches and read about the "Getz SW89k" guns. Or you may request contact info over at HKPro and contact Getz himself...either way...the pistol is appropriately and correctly represented and you have the means to prove that to your own satisfaction.

If you have any reservations with regard to the pistol's lineage...by all means do not bid on the listing.

#15 · (Edited)
As a FFL who manufactured firearms. His company name and address of manufacture would have to be on the firearm to be legal.
If he assembled the parts on to a marked receiver to make a complete firearm, he would have to mark it.
You can check the ATF site for the rules.

If DJ purchase the firearms from SW for resale. he wouldn’t have to mark them.

The fact that the seller got defensive. Then attacked your character. Would raise red flags to me about it being a genuine Getz build.

Without DJ’s markings on the firearm. Or a letter of authenticity with the serial number signed and dated by DJ, it’s just BS.

#18 ·
I have a K clone that came right from Dave himself, new in the box he sent it in. It IS marked as a Special Weapons made gun, and it IS NOT MARKED by Dave in any fashion.

But it sure as heck came new from Dave. It shipped to me as a firearm via my FFL. In addition, when I decided to get it, I asked Dave if he would be willing to give it a solid DJ going over to ensure it worked. He agrees to do so, checked it all out, made sure fit and and parts installs were fine and no burrs or hic-ups, nothing out of spec, then reported back to me and shipped it as the barreled receiver it was. I just had to add my bolt group and trigger pack and housing and away I went.

It has functioned perfectly since then.

So could the gun for sale be a legit gun which is only marked SW and not by Dave? Yep. Absolutely. And no, I have no idea who the seller is and it’s not mine for sale.

Dave was indeed blowing those receivers out in his last year or so, where he got them I have no idea.

#20 ·
You didn’t receive a complete functioning firearm from him only a barreled upper.

Did he barrel the upper? Or did he purchased a barrel upper, inspect it and then sell it to you?
If he did either he would not have to mark it.
It wasn’t a complete functioning firearm that you received from him. So it wouldn’t need to be marked by him.
Only the receiver by its manufacturer with the serial number.

Technically that firearm was manufactured by you. If all you received was a barred upper from him. Then built a complete functioning firearm from it.

#23 · (Edited)
If DJ was only selling barreled receivers then that’s what the add should state.
He did not build a complete firearm.

I’ve bought barreled Garand receivers from the CMP and built them into complete rifles.
Did the CMP manufacture a functioning rifle and sell it to me? No
They only sold me a barreled upper receiver.
If I where to sell one and say that it was a CMP built rifle, I would be lying.
It is a a Garand that I built using a CMP barred upper and should be stated as such.

#24 ·
So did any of you who purchased an upper from him that is NOT marked with the DJGetz logo GET A RECEIPT signed by DJGetz with his company name on it.

THAT would be a good 'piece of paper' for provenance to at least prove it passed through his hands.

Without it being marked OR having paperwork signed by DJGetz, it will be hard to prove when YOU sell it on.

We all sell them on EVENTUALLY. Even if it's from 'our estate'. Without solid proof, it's a nice story, but doesn't rise to verification.

It is just a story. Not a slam on ANYONE, but in this day of 'fakes' selling for solid workmanship we ALL have to be careful with whom we trust.

and telling the NEXT BUYER, "I heard it from the guy who bought it from a guy who bought it from DJGetz".

See, doesn't sound nearly as convincing as "I bought it from a guy who bought it from DJGetz and HERE is the signed receipt signed by DJGetz himself".

See, HUGE DIFFERENCE between the two scenarios. One means you have the word of someone you may know and trust, but the person you sell it on to, won't know that person (assuming you are both still alive) and won't take your word on it without some form of proof.

So while this seller gets a bit huffy "don't believe me, DON'T BID ON IT" is exactly what you would expect from someone who does not have any written proof. Sorry, but that is just my read.

Let's put it this way. Would you purchase an HK CLONE that is being sold as TRUE HK manufacture without any markings or proof of WHO actually manufactured it.

In this case it was SW - aka TB...

#25 ·
Not sure WHAT is so hard for everyone to Understand here??? DJ bought/brokered some Todd Bailey/BMP/SW Barreled Upper Receiver/Pistols complete with everything EXCEPT for the Lowers THEY ARE NOT TRUE DJ Guns he sold them though what is so hard for everyone to UNDERSTAND?

#28 ·
As I stated, he was selling already made barreled receivers. They were stamped by Special Weapons and serialized by them also, as THEY were the manufacturer. Not DJ and not me. It was a firearm for the purposes of the ATF and had to be handled on a 4473 just like a stripped AR lower receiver.

I DID not manufacture the firearm, nor did DJ, Special Weapons did. That was how it was listed on the ATF Form 4473.

Why are you going down this rabbit hole anyway? And who cares ???

#30 · (Edited)
To tell the truth I don’t care but I do know what the FFL laws are.

As a non-FFL you can buy a receiver and build a rifle or pistol for yourself, if it is legal to own in your state.
Once you start building them and selling them you need a FFL and have to mark them.

Like I said on the GB ad. Without markings it’s just a barreled upper purchased from DJ. Not a complete firearm built by him.

#33 · (Edited)
I believe the discussion is about the validity of the auction on GB.

The seller is saying that a SW barred upper bought through DJ is a DJ built firearm.

Is a SW barreled upper with who knows what other parts built by who knows, worth the same as a DJ built firearm?

It’s up to you if you bid on the auction.

#34 · (Edited)
I ended up buying one of the ones this seller had (there were two). They are labeled Special Weapons, SW89k. I also own a DJGetz DF89 (full size). I had an SB tactical k pistol brace and put on it for now. I haven't had an opportunity to fully tear down the SW89k, and I'm certainly no authority on either. I'll admit that I do feel a tinge mislead by the Gun broker Ad's mention of DJ Getz as it appears he simply brokered the sale of these, but it does appear to be a fine firearm. If I remember to do it, I'll post a range report when I have the chance to shoot it.

I didn't find this thread until after the fact, and I appreciate the info here from both the seller and the sleuths here @ HKPro. Based on my interaction with DJ Getz, I do believe he would have only re-sold quality products, and am glad to know he at least gave these a once over.

Gun Firearm Trigger Airsoft Gun accessory

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.