HKPRO Forums banner

Steel lower on MP5

4K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  snonut98 
#1 ·
Hello everyone! I am converting my PTR 9CT to have full wood furniture(to match my G3) and need a steel lower so that I can use RTGParts wood pistol grip. I already made the handguard and am waiting for a form 1 for the stock.

Can I use a G3 steel lower? Just some modifications to the tang or something? I believe I read that somewhere but could not find anything.. If so, can all of the internals from the PTR swap to the G3 lower? Or should I buy a complete G3 lower?

Thanks for any help!

#5 ·
Thanks for the info!! So I just need a G3 selector or do I need something special? And everything else from the MP5 lower should swap?

A g3 lower will work, you'd need one modified in the front for a semi shelf or have to cut off the tabs. You'd need to cut the back down from 2 pin holes to one.

The other thing would be to just find a hk94 lower as they are steel and ready to go. They are only marked 0,1 so if you want sef well then modify a g3 one. The hk94 lowers come up on here semi often(not saying check my fs thread).
Thanks for the info! I am working on a budget(as much of a budget as you can have with HK clones) so I'll go the G3 route to save a good chunk of cash.

#4 ·
A g3 lower will work, you'd need one modified in the front for a semi shelf or have to cut off the tabs. You'd need to cut the back down from 2 pin holes to one.

The other thing would be to just find a hk94 lower as they are steel and ready to go. They are only marked 0,1 so if you want sef well then modify a g3 one. The hk94 lowers come up on here semi often(not saying check my fs thread).

#10 ·
I remember seeing some clipped versions on robertrtg under the G3 section but they are not priced similarly. I can't post links yet but search this SKU on there: HKK-4881

Some fitting will be required to an extent. I do not have any experience with clipping lowers as my clone is configured for push pins, however i did modify a plastic G3 SEF lower to house a binary. I shortened the rear tang and opened up the lower front of the trigger housing to accommodate the shelf specific to my firearm. Mine originally came with a semi steel lower and it just depends on where the "shelf" indexes from your PTR receiver into whatever housing you're planning on using.

#13 ·
Thanks guys. I think I'll stick with the basic one from RTG and just do the DIY work needed. Looks like it might be some work but for like $65-70 less than the cheapest drop in lower, I think it's worth it to do some work. Plus it'll never be "correct" anyways so it doesn't matter there.

#14 ·
Yes that is what i did, although i did for a Zenith Z5rs and a POF Smg Pk,
sorry no experience with a PTR
But a good set of files and a dremel makes it so much more easier
just take your time check fit (trigger pack shelf and front take down pin area) continuously as you go!
don't forget to get the selector lever for a steel lower too
when your finished it is somewhat rewarding as well!
good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.