T36 and AR15 Mag Conversion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: T36 and AR15 Mag Conversion

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default T36 and AR15 Mag Conversion

Good Evening,

Recently picked up a T36k, and am thinking about picking up the HK G36 To AR15 Mag Conversion Mag Well (https://hkparts.net/product/hk-g36-t...ags-p17605.htm). Does anyone have any experience with this particular mag well adapter care to comment on its function, any issues? Or in general, any lessons learned from converting a T36 to stanag magazines? Appreciate your time and insight.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

I tried one on my converted SL8, and almost immediately removed it. You have to remove the paddle mag catch, so it’s not easy to swap back and forth, if you want to. Also, the AR mag catch is awkward since it has to be actuated by the left hand. I also seem to remember some issues with the BHO too. I don’t think it locked back on the empty mag anymore.

I went back to the paddle mag release. If you really need to use US mags for 922r compliance, I’d use the Magpul G36 mags.
    Do you even HK, Bro?

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think Spuhr makes an updated version that I've never heard any complaints about. But I dunno if you have to modify the paddle mag catch or not for that one.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

All options are expensive and rare for what they are.

G36 mags, Factory or Magpul, are inexpensive and plentiful.

YMMV.
    Last edited by Lumbergh; 06-07-2020 at 03:09 AM.
    JokerOne likes this.
    "Amat victoria curam"

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

@gtboy2k It fine and yes you have to remove mag catch as dwillHk mentioned.

@dwillHK No issues with bho function on any gun I have ever used one on.

I will say the mag release is can be awkward if you are used to the AR mag release button or G36 paddle mag release.

While It's not my favorite mag release, it works fine and just requires a different mindset and grip when ripping out a mag.
    Thomas Jefferson -
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
    "Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I used one for quite a while on an SL8 and T36. BHO does not work on mine for one reason or another but I do still like it. The mag release button is placed in a way that should you reload a mag similar to a G36, your finger will find it every time. It's reliable in the way of my mags seat every time I use it and they still well. Tried Lancer, P Mags, Hera, GI mags all run fine. I have an over abundance of AR mags and live in a restricted state on capacity so even getting G36 Pmags is a pain in the arse.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Thanks for all the replies! Sounds like there is a decent chance I would lose BHO, that's a bummer. Also, that removing/replacing the paddle can be a bit of a chore. For the price, I'm not sure it is worth the trade offs. Which is too bad with the amount of Pmags and Lancers I have laying around.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)

You don’t have to remove the paddle to install, the paddle will just be in the compressed position while the AR magwell is installed.

Changing the paddle release is a breeze if you cut a slave pin and make sure you position the leg of the spring on the shelf in the receiver when installing.

HK’s adapter cavity (the void where the mag is inserted) sits further to the rear than the Spuhr. The Spuhr magwell compensated for their alignment by extending the front tip of their proprietary BHO. All AR magwells on G36’s will have some failures on the BHO. Generally, they will all perform their intended function and enable the use of AR mags.
    ehtacs and GregAB like this.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

@Nzfly With the adapter that I used I could not install without removing my paddle mag as was was not tonight force it on the last bit to get it to fully seat. My mag adapter was not a spur or HK one.

Plus one on the slave pin for re-installing the paddle mag and spring.

I never experienced a failure for the bolt to lock back but I am sure it could happen just as it can with the std hk magwell and paddle mag which has happened to me. I'm assuming it's ammo related in both cases.

I dunno who made my adapter but I will say it works and I keep it around in case my stash of g36 mags should start to dwindle or some unforseen legislative action rears its head I would rather mod an AR mag than a g36 mag.
    Last edited by flybynt; 06-07-2020 at 05:21 PM.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)

Yeah, my commentary on leaving the paddle installed is limited to the HK one. The generally block off the area altogether. Send me a pic of your adapter. I would be curious to see it. When tinkering with AR adapters for the Tommy Built version, I have looked at the HK, Spuhr, NEA, and the Special Weapons. My opinion is if you want 100% reliability, then stick with the g36 mags that were designed for the rifle. If you want convenience of interchangeable mags/pouches, then accept there might be failures.

Last edited by Nzfly; 06-07-2020 at 05:48 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links