California/New York compliant clones
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: California/New York compliant clones

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default California/New York compliant clones

I have seen some MP5s sold with kydex wraps to eliminate the pistol grip. Has anyone else either built a NY or CA compliant build? This would be a detachable magazine, non threaded barrel MP5/HK 94 with a modified stock/grip.

Unrepentant HKHolic

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

My limited understanding is that while the laws are similar, there are still some differences. I live in a free state so I am not familiar with the finer points of each jurisdiction. I would think that it could be done but since this would be a state felony if the configuration was not correct, I would search firearm forums that deal with the specifics of the jurisdiction that you would need to comply with. Good luck with your project.

Scott

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

PTR sells a factory CA configuration of there 9mm 16 inch barrel rifle. All it requires is a grip wrap and not using a folding stock. New York would be different configuration though.
    "You're in America now," I said. "Our idea of diplomacy is showing up with a gun in one hand and a sandwich in the other and asking which you'd prefer."
    Harry Dresden

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Location : Sometimes where the gun laws suck, sometimes where they don't.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

In Cali a pistol can not be featureless so it would require a mag lock.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster62 View Post
    And be limited to 10 round mag(s).

NY law is very likely to be different on more than one point and both NY and especially CA are bad to change the law periodically.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Location : Sometimes where the gun laws suck, sometimes where they don't.
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

If you bought 30 rd mags that one week last April when were legal to purchase they are grandfathered in. ;)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A semiauto pistol would also have to be the roster of approved handguns.

If you want an MP5 rifle clone you'd have to get one with a fixed stock, grip wrap, and 16" barrel with no flash hider.

At the moment, you'd need to have the magazine swapped out for or converted into a 10 round one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm LEO in NY and although laws in both states are similar NY is actually stricter. The main issue with NY is no pistol is allowed to have a magazine that is inserted outside the pistol grip. As far as Rifles/ carbines it needs to have the 16" barrel, no pistol grip, no foregrip, no flash suppressor, must have fixed stock just to name a few. The Cali pistol grip wrap isn't compliant in NY unfortunately. Any mag that can hold more than 10 rounds are illegal in NY regardless of purchase date. The dumbest law of all is any 10 round mag cannot have more than 7 rounds in the mag unless at an approved range. Sorry to burst anyones bubble.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If you bought 30 rd mags that one week last April when were legal to purchase they are grandfathered in. ;)
    The mags are.
    My understanding was that on both the type I and type II bullet button guns you were also limited to 10 round mags so even if you had a legal >10 round mag you couldn't put it in the gun.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pk72787 View Post
    I'm LEO in NY and although laws in both states are similar NY is actually stricter. The main issue with NY is no pistol is allowed to have a magazine that is inserted outside the pistol grip. As far as Rifles/ carbines it needs to have the 16" barrel, no pistol grip, no foregrip, no flash suppressor, must have fixed stock just to name a few. The Cali pistol grip wrap isn't compliant in NY unfortunately. Any mag that can hold more than 10 rounds are illegal in NY regardless of purchase date. The dumbest law of all is any 10 round mag cannot have more than 7 rounds in the mag unless at an approved range. Sorry to burst anyones bubble.
    Actually, the initial CA AWB (or Kaliban) included pistols with a specific characteristic list just like the rifles except the ability to take a magazine anywhere other than the pistol grip on a pistol was a defining characteristic on the pistol as an assault weapon.

So nixed as far as I can see.

Category 3 in this guide lists the characteristics for rifle, pistol and shotgun under the initial CA ban (including the 10 round fixed magazine limit for both rifles and pistols)
    https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/a...ms/awguide.pdf

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links