Modular MP5 Input Needed
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Modular MP5 Input Needed

Supporting Vendor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Default Modular MP5 Input Needed

Alright ladies and gents, I'm going to reach out to the community and get a grasp of what everyone envisions for the "next" MP5. You may call me pretentious and label my efforts as blasphemy but I'm just trying to find and create that next evolutionary step that seems to be missing between the MP5 and the UMP45. There's a lot of reasons for this and there were other models (SMG2) but I'm specifically focused on bringing something to the market to meet the many demands that exist. I'm looking for feedback and input on what you'd like to see with a new product we plan to offer later this year.

That product is the modular chassis system that was shown off at SHOT Show 2020. I didn't have my supply lines solidified and there was a lot for me to learn about the backend of business that prohibited us from rolling this out right after the show. When the coronavirus hit it essentially destroyed our supply lines and I took that opportunity to source new manufacturers and find a firearms design firm to help us make this the best possible product.

I need your input and feedback on the chassis system construction to make it the exceptional product and link in the evolutionary chain of the MP5 that we all deserve

This is going to have to be a step-wise approach to success since I don't have the funds to build a completely new receiver system with all the necessities we've come to expect of our firearms. But I can make incremental modifications and improvements to progress us in that direction. I started by reviewing the "50th Anniversary MP5" thread to get an idea of what people were looking for a few years ago. It wasn't far off from what I had expected and I've captured the two models that became apparent below. This particular thread was started and progressed by G3Kurz, and while I know he's no longer with us I can think of no more fitting tribute to him than to pick up this torch and humbly try to progress the effort. Those are enormous steps to try and follow and I shall do my best.

Here's the thread in its entirety: https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-long-...at-should.html

And here are the two versions that came to the surface when all was said and done. What we can try to fulfill with the chassis system and some other options is highlighted in bold.

V1
    *Picatinny rail on receiver top with integral folding rear sight
    *Low profile rail handguard (HK has one of these now with replaceable rail sections)
    *Folding/locking front sight
    *Standard Metal MP5 magazine
    *Redesigned bolt head, extractor, and locking roller holder
    *Extended safety/selector lever as standard
    *Multi-position retractable Stock
    *Threaded Barrel (1/2x28) with QD Flash Hider (AAC Black Out?)
    *Improved Trigger Pull
    *Ambi QD Stud Sling Points
    *Pre-tested with Industry Leading QD Signature Suppressor
    *Available in Colors: Black, OD, FDE/Tan (RAL8000)
    *Unit Cost: Under $2000.

Not on the list but possible is Ambidextrous Charging Capability

V2
    *Picatinny rail on receiver top with integral folding rear sight
    *Low profile rail handguard (HK has one of these now with replaceable rail sections)
    *Folding/locking front sight
    *Polymer Magazine (that works with bolt catch and ambi trigger finger mag release ala XM8 Spiral 3)
    *Ambi magazine release - trigger finger (ala XM8 Spiral 3)
    *Bolt Catch
    *User-removable, replaceable barrel (ala MP7)
    *Redesigned bolt head, extractor, and locking roller holder
    *Extended safety/selector lever as standard
    *Multi-position retractable Stock
    *Threaded Barrel (1/2x28) with QD Flash Hider (AAC Black Out?)
    *Improved Trigger Pull
    *Ambi QD Stud Sling Points
    *Pre-tested with Industry Leading QD Signature Suppressor
    *Available in Colors: Black, OD, FDE/Tan (RAL8000)
    *Modular Grip with replaceable back and side panels (ala P30)
    *Unit Cost: Under $2600

So let's set forth the assumptions of what we've got to work with:
    - We have to work with the existing receiver and we will be using LSC flats
    - We are not constrained to the traditional build process (predominately welding) and will instead be utilizing our chassis system.
    - We will be utilizing and not modifying any of the internal components (An exception will be tuning the trigger and possibly utilizing the MAD MAX bolt head)
    - We will NOT be attacking the barrel change system just yet. I've got plans for that but that's a whole separate thread entirely.
    - We will utilize the traditional stock system

There are some other prototypes we're also going to be working on but this has the most dedicated effort of them all. With my experiences from last year and the fantastic people I've met in the community throughout these challenging times, I've set a tentative first production run date of mid December 2020 on this effort. That will span the expanse of requirements, prototyping, R&D, testing, sourcing manufacturers, quality assurance and quality control implementation and realization of the completed product. I've put a lot of effort into the website and especially the Roller Lock Configurator (Build Your Roller Lock on the website) to show how this can help advance the MP5 so please check out www.revolutionaryrollerlocks.com and let me know what you think. Every little improvement and every simple step forward extends the life of this venerable platform.

So, here's my first question:
    What capabilities do you want the chassis system to have?
    Integrated flip up sights?
    Barrel heat reduction?
    Quick change capability?
    Aluminum or polymer construction?
    Ability to have a removable rear optics base for lowering red dot sights?

I'm looking forward to hearing what you want and seeing how we can make it a reality. Thanks for your time!
    William Barth
    Owner
    USNA '06
    Navy Intel (and some other stuff)

Revolutionary Roller Locks (07/C2)
    Direct: 972-737-6745
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If you ask me then a BHO is the most important thing missing on the Mp5. Midwest already makes a good Handguard for them amongst others and it still keeps it slim, and users only run a red dot or just irons on the top so no need for a massive amount of top rail space on top and increase the height, also a light fits on the side nicely. If you really want to upgrade that platform then you need to redesign the receiver completely example: Striborg.
    rollerlocksevolved likes this.
    Perkele

Supporting Vendor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrott_4 View Post
    If you ask me then a BHO is the most important thing missing on the Mp5. Midwest already makes a good Handguard for them amongst others and it still keeps it slim, and users only run a red dot or just irons on the top so no need for a massive amount of top rail space on top and increase the height, also a light fits on the side nicely. If you really want to upgrade that platform then you need to redesign the receiver completely example: Striborg.
    Valid points across the board and pretty much in keeping with the requests I see from the law enforcement community as well. The redesign of the receiver is expensive but can be accomplished step by step if we do it right. For instance, one of my existing requirements is for the chassis to have the capability of accepting a one-piece lower receiver. Building a complete lower centered around the traditional magazine and working to incorporate the LRBHO or improved grip capability may very well be a possibility and part of the evolution into a completely redesigned new receiver (albeit several years from now because $$$$$). If that was the case I know we've got the right connections to determine if if needs to be metal or polymer and we've also got the right connections to start that process. But being a small company we've got to get ourselves established and make that progress little by little and listen to the community.

Input received: LRBHO is your priority. Thanks!

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rollerlocksevolved View Post
    Valid points across the board and pretty much in keeping with the requests I see from the law enforcement community as well. The redesign of the receiver is expensive but can be accomplished step by step if we do it right. For instance, one of my existing requirements is for the chassis to have the capability of accepting a one-piece lower receiver. Building a complete lower centered around the traditional magazine and working to incorporate the LRBHO or improved grip capability may very well be a possibility and part of the evolution into a completely redesigned new receiver (albeit several years from now because $$$$$). If that was the case I know we've got the right connections to determine if if needs to be metal or polymer and we've also got the right connections to start that process. But being a small company we've got to get ourselves established and make that progress little by little and listen to the community.

Input received: LRBHO is your priority. Thanks!
    That sounds like a plan, i was a bit suspicious about your project but now i´m looking forward to seeing it evolve in the future!

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rollerlocksevolved View Post
    We have to work with the existing receiver and we will be using LSC flats
    You lost me here. If taking the time and spending the money to do this, why not take advantage of more modern construction methods? Simple aluminum extrusions, bolt in trunnions, etc.

Supporting Vendor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrott_4 View Post
    That sounds like a plan, i was a bit suspicious about your project but now i´m looking forward to seeing it evolve in the future!
    Absolutely understandable since I'm still fairly new to the community with some ambitious goals. I've seen some of the other vaporware we've had pushed on us and thus the main reason I haven't asked for anyone's money. I know it's only through dedicated attention to detail and delivery of a quality product that I can gain some of that credibility. I'm looking forward to seeing it evolve too.
    Foxtrott_4 likes this.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I point to the Special Weapons SP-10 / Coharie PXP-10 as an interesting take. It was a reverse stretch configuration with UMP looks. I actually like it and wonder where it could have gone had it not had all the baggage.

Also, on the idea of polymer mags, I suggest compatibility with CZ Scorpion mags as they seem fairly well regarded or cheap enough to be fine, with multiple manufacturers in the space. I like MP5 mags. They work, but they are on the expensive side and that slows adoption. Having CZ mag compatibility, if it’s possible, seems like an iteration that might differentiate in a positive way. I’m drawing a blank on the name of the company in the pistol caliber AR space that has done several versions of their lower with different magazine compatibility (starting with Glock mags, of course). When they came out with a model that accepted MP5 mags it got my attention, because that was one less mag I would need to keep on hand (not that I bought one, but I consider it). Comments I saw about that model after release were along the lines of “yay, something that takes expensive mags”. I wonder how well it sold? I bought an LWRC SMG-45 because I like 45 carbines and it takes UMP mags I already have.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Build an mp7 clone...

Really liking this HK Stuff Member

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Make a delayed blowback system that drops into the UMP receiver. That's where HK screwed the pooch on the UMP... It would tick all the boxes if it didn't kick you in the face every time you pulled the trigger.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Default Modular MP5 Input Needed

Quote Originally Posted by eodinert View Post
    Make a delayed blowback system that drops into the UMP receiver.
    Make a delayed blowback (roller locked) system that drops into an AR-15 receiver. And yeah, with LRBHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links