RRL Chassis Design Requirements

Thread: RRL Chassis Design Requirements

Supporting Vendor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Default RRL Chassis Design Requirements

Ladies and gents I wanted to give you guys an outline of our design requirements for the Revolutionary Roller Locks chassis system. My Navy acronym heavy days are evident in the fact that we named this the Modular Optics and accessories Rail Evolution (M.O.R.E.) system. We've been developing this for a couple years off an on between jobs, military moves, profession jumps etc and I went full in on it in 2019.

We showed this off on our complete firearms at SHOT Show 2020 and I'll admit I jumped the gun. I was too eager to serve the community without having a better network of friends, providers and manufacturers lined up. SHOT 2020 was great for us because we made a lot of connections and found some fantastic mentors to take us on this journey. I bit off more than I could chew last year and developed things in the dark for a long list of (wrong) reasons. The HK community has been burned by vaporware in the past and I realized we may be coming across that way as well by not providing updates and intentions.

Some of my mentors have pointed out that rather than doing custom firearms we need to focus on consistent, quality firearms for a slightly larger market here in the United States. First and foremost our focus is on the US civilian market and not chasing military, law enforcement or overseas contracts. I feel the "small" civilian market has been neglected too much by the big guys and just had products that were leftovers from government trials thrown at them. I understand the necessity of that since I have an appreciation for development cost but it's still no reason not to listen to a community. So rather than trying to make small batch runs of the chassis that were "good enough", I took advantage of the COVID-19 crisis to network and find even more friends and professionals to take the chassis to the utmost level of quality possible. We've made a lot of headway on that in the past 2 months and I'll be sharing that very soon as well.

Our timeline right now is to be able to put these on our firearms by late 2020. (VERY late 2020!) There is a lot to do between now and then and I'm going on a journey myself as I learn technical data packages, evaluation parameters, manufacturer sourcing, quality control, insurance, quality assurance, test and evaluation and a rather expansive list of additional requirements. I'm going to push forward as long as I can and try to keep you guys in the loop on the progress. Trust me when I say there's a method to this madness. The chassis system is not an aftermarket accessory but a component of a build from the ground up. I'll expand on that decision in a separate thread.

So here are the base requirements I've set forth to our design team for the MORE chassis development:

That the chassis look like it was designed specifically for the MP5 and enhance the existing lines and curves rather than looking like an aftermarket accessory.

That the chassis be constructed of the lightest material possible while providing the greatest amount of rigidity and accessory mounting reliability currently physically possible.

That upon installation there be no perceivable movement of the chassis about the receiver (forward/back, rotational, up/down)

That the chassis provide ambidextrous charging capability for the existing system, which utilizes a cocking tube support and charging handle.

That the charging handle provide a quick release and swappable capability that requires no tools and may be accomplished in less than 20 seconds with no disassembly of the firearm.

That the upper section of the chassis provide a full length Picatinny accessory mounting capability.

That the chassis be delivered in 3 different base models
    - M-LOK accessory mounting systems permanently affixed to the chassis with a non-removable handguard
    - M-LOK accessory mounting systems incorporated in a removable handguard system
    - A removable rear optics base incorporated directly over the receiver which support the rigid installation of future aftermarket accessories

That the removable rear optics base design support the following bases at a minimum and that these bases be designed for delivery with the chassis
    - Picatinny base
    - Red dot mounting base for use with a multiple mounting pattern designed to accept the largest possible number of mini red dot sights currently on the market

That the serial number area on the traditional receiver is fully visible without removal of the chassis system, which requires windows to be machined into the top portion of the chassis system.

That the chassis system slide on to Revolutionary Roller Locks receivers with an ease, smoothness and installability factor (made up word but I like it) that make other engineers weep over their shortcomings.

That there be no marring, scratching, scraping, gouging or other perceived imperfections or destructions of the receiver following the installation and removal of the chassis system.

That the chassis be capable of being installed with no more than 1 tool.

That the installation tool be secured in the pistol grip of the existing firearm series or integrated into the removable handguard system.

That the chassis feature an anti-rotation system designed around the existing barrel pin holes on the traditional receiver system.

That the chassis feature a "return-to-zero" capability so that all sights, optics and accessories maintain their point of impact after repeated installations and removals of the chassis system.

That the chassis feature a removable handgaurd system built around the Remington Advanced Combat Rifle (ACR) handguard design. Additional handguards will likely need to be created based on ACR system length. Alternatively, a follow on chassis system may be designed to accept SIG handguards found on the MCX/MPX product lines.

That the chassis removable handguard system have a captive pin design so there is no possibility of losing components in a battlefield environment.

That the chassis be delivered to RRL with a minimum of 3 removable handguards:
    - 6 inch removable handguard featuring M-LOK mounting points at a minimum at the 3,6 and 9 o'clock positions with additional steel inserts at the 1, 5, 7 and 11 o'clock positions designed to accept aftermarket accessory mounting options
    (such as the Parker Mountain Machine rail panels). This should be accomplished by mirroring the Remington Defense ACR Handguard.
    - 9 inch removable handguard featuring M-LOK mounting points at a minimum at the 3,6 and 9 o'clock positions with additional steel inserts at the 1, 5, 7 and 11 o'clock positions designed to accept
    aftermarket accessory mounting options (such as the Parker Mountain Machine rail panels). This should be accomplished by mirroring the Remington Defense ACR Handguard. Additionally, this 9 inch version will feature a raised Picatinny portion
    that extends on the same plane as the chassis system and therefore provides additional mounting surfaces.
    - 9 inch removable handguard featuring M-LOK mounting points at a minimum at the 3,6 and 9 o'clock positions with additional steel inserts at the 1, 5, 7 and 11 o'clock positions designed to accept aftermarket accessory mounting options
    (such as the Parker Mountain Machine rail panels). This should be accomplished by mirroring the Remington Defense ACR Handguard. Additionally, this 9 inch version will feature a flat horizontal portion directly over the bore of the firearm for
    mounting additional accessories. This portion shall have steel inserts forward and aft of an M-LOK mounting section.

That the chassis be coated in an abrasion resistant and durable finish that is capable of accepting aftermarket coating systems such as Cerakote and DuraCoat.

That the chassis be constructed in the United States. Effort should be given so that the chassis is built in close proximity to Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas so final assembly can occur in the great state of Texas!

Many of you are going to ask "Why should this be developed and why should we care?" and those are great questions. I'll respond to those in a "Chassis Justification" thread separately.
    Any and all feedback and desires are appreciated, since I'm not making this just for me. Thanks ya'll!
    William Barth
    Owner

Revolutionary Roller Locks (07/C2)
    Direct: 972-737-6745
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

How about some pics or renderings?

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I’d love to see a video of one
    Qualified HK Sear
    BPP23E-K
    PCS 52
    PCS mp5k
    Omega SD-K
    Omega mp5
    Black Ops Defense mp5

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Vendor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I'll post some pictures shortly. Bear in mind these are all PROTOTYPES and we've actually developed 3 different aluminum extrusions to provide a variety of solutions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RRL Chassis Design Requirements-0183faf28c8c4de423b769801986ee278879d18c40.jpg  

Supporting Vendor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

RRL Chassis Design Requirements-gu7rdqb.jpgRRL Chassis Design Requirements-0mgroes.jpgRRL Chassis Design Requirements-5j89bc8.jpg

These are some of the base extrusions and one of our chassis model designs. There's a lot more intricacies inherent to all of them than are obvious. Anyone who believes it's a simple matter to get a tight fit around the beauty marks of the MP5 needs to have their head examined. I'll showcase some more and point out some of the more challenging areas soon.
    Last edited by rollerlocksevolved; 06-26-2020 at 01:40 AM.

Supporting Vendor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

RRL Chassis Design Requirements-0pck297.jpg
    One of my favorite renders and one we're working on but man does it have a lot of unique areas to work around.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I’d like to know the weight difference of say a base mp5a2 and one yours plus chassis decked out with an ACR stock.

Also too bad your acr stocks plus adapters are sold out. I would love to buy one. They look slick
    Last edited by TheColtCollector; 06-26-2020 at 03:15 AM.

Supporting Vendor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheColtCollector View Post
    I’d like to know the weight difference of say a base mp5a2 and one yours plus chassis decked out with an ACR stock.

Also too bad your acr stocks plus adapters are sold out. I would love to buy one. They look slick
    We're not done with the chassis yet but you're right that weight consideration plays a key part in everything we do.
    For comparison sake right now (NOT FINISHED), a standard MP5A2 weighs in at approximately 5 lb 10 oz. With our current chassis system and an A2 stock, we come in at 5 lb 15 oz.
    I'm a firm believer in the adage that ounces make pounds and pounds make pain, and even I have to smile at our efforts of trying to save weight for a system that's designed to be robust. But when you stop to think about everything that 5 ounces gives you, it's a lot.
    The chassis features a full length Picatinny rail on top as well as M-LOK mounting options at the 3, 6 and 9 o'clock positions. In order to get less than that amount of real estate on your traditional MP5A2, you'll need to add on both a handguard and scope mount. The lightest weight Pic rail out there (correct me if I'm wrong) is the MFI low mount which comes in at about 3.1 ounces. The Dakota Tactical M-LOK is also very lightweight and capable, and comes in at 4.1 ounces. Adding 7.2 ounces to your traditional MP5A2 setup exceeds what the chassis currently offers while providing less real estate and modular capability. Those are just comparison numbers and I know it's splitting hairs but it's important to portray that everything is being taken into consideration with the design of the system. If it's not, I need to know.

As for the ACR stocks and adapters, I'm hopeful we'll have our next shipment in about 3 weeks time. Make sure you're signed up to be notified because people are adding themselves to wait lists on numerous sites and playing the odds. The guys at Kinetic Development Group are doing their best to keep that supply chain going and I've learned a massive amount from my interactions with them on gauging the market and trying to anticipate demand. Covid kinda threw a major wrench in there but you still gotta learn.

I'll keep the weight of the ACR stock in mind during the development. One of the most striking things nearly everyone says is how well balanced it is on the MP5.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Thanks for the reply sir, I’ll get on the waitlist now

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

On the waitlist too! Adaptor and stock please sir! The new ACR adaptor enhancement is nice.

Sponsored Links