HKPRO Forums banner

He who mustn’t be named...

6K views 31 replies 21 participants last post by  scottinthegrove 
#1 ·
Had to laugh. I was mindlessly banging away on the iPad and hit the pause button on the DVR showing John Wick (the first one).And there, Frozen on the screen and clear as a bell was John Wick ramming another 30 rounder into a Coharie M-4 type AR. Seemed to be running quite well...

#27 ·
Don't forget most of the unmarked parts sold by hkparts.net

Still though , for all of the bad blood and "interesting" ways his many company's chose to do business. there is no denying the fact that a good part of the clone industry would simply not exist without his contributions. even if it was only for the fact that someone who was scorned by one of his products then took it upon themselves to build a better one.
Yea despite being the pile of crap that he is Todd did really push the clone industry and still is with the ump and g36 parts. On other fronts I don't think PCS and RTG have gotten their 33 receivers into production yet so most of those guns are going to be on Todd's flats, as are the 40/10mm mp5's. When LSC mp5 flats dry up the builders end up going back to Todd's for mp5 clones as well.

Ideally I'd rather not do business with him but he is still a major parts supplier in the industry.

#4 ·
That's gross.

Saw John Wick was on. Twice. Had to watch both times and this time I paid attention to the 416 clone, noticed the name and thought WTF?? I had no idea. Odd because just a few days ago I was wondering what ever became of "that guy".

#10 ·
I still have my CA53-AR. Haven't shot it in a while, but still have it. IIRC, it really liked P-Mags.

Those things are like unicorns these days.

#11 ·
Still though , for all of the bad blood and "interesting" ways his many company's chose to do business. there is no denying the fact that a good part of the clone industry would simply not exist without his contributions. even if it was only for the fact that someone who was scorned by one of his products then took it upon themselves to build a better one.

#14 ·
Still have the stainless steel extruded receiver gun I transformed into a 34. Working as good as ever. Oddly, it sounds a bit different from sheet metal receiver guns...

#15 ·
I bought a bunch of stuff from him when he was on gunbroker.

Also have a selection of his HK products, one way or the other. Special Weapons, Cohaire, Vector, etc...

I think I had one email communication with him, and it was ok. I read the rest online, what a read it was!! Seems like a time long ago in a land far away...

I used to read HK54 forum years ago, looks like it is dead and gone now.

He definitely blazed some trails, among other things!!!

#16 ·
Man, I have spent $10,000s on his stuff. I was lucky enough to buy a bunch of SW53 AR and SW93 AR receivers that Jeff built into 53K, 53, and 33K clones that use AR mags. I still have the Coharie Arms CA53 AR that got me on that AR conversion kick. BTW if anyone needs a SW AR mag catch, I am having a few made. Because of Special Weapons, Coharie Arms, and Vector parts sets (I was fortunate enough to buy a couple Vector .40 S&W SD parts sets that included cans for$800 each), I bought enough SW receivers and barreled receivers to do 20 clones. Most of those clones are not configurations that HK never made. Like SW45 and SW45X. He even made a GSG9 clone of the 416 with the same rail height as HK. On the other end I did buy a SW52. The end of the chamber is so beveled that it doesn't support the shell enough and the shell will rupture during the high pressure phase and blow the mag out of the magwell. Som day I need to buy a PTR pistol length barrel and see if I can get the thing to run. The SW 10mm K-PDW is definitely a handful. The clone market definitely would not be where it is today without him.

Scott

#18 ·
And at least he delivered a product.

Unlike PA.

Yeah, I said that.

#19 · (Edited)
hey now he sort of "delivered" one.....two..... maybe three?

Retro, the fact that your still sore after all these years for what that clown did to you fills me with a great deal of joy. i dont mean that to be an insult it genuinely makes me happy to know that in this small group of enthusiasts people who take advantage and waste the time of others blatantly do not get afforded the benefit of time washing away their wrong doing. to which ill say the guy at PA did you a lot of wrong which is unfortunate.

anyone remember Dan "Danno" Hoodenpyle ,Dana Reed or James Burgess?? thats a trip down i got screwed over memory lane.

#25 ·
I had a couple of phone convos with the guy. And multiple emails. He was always helpful and civil with me but I can understand the feelings of others who's experience was not the same.

My biggest problem was the guns. Had two, one early cast receiver SW5 and a later stamped model of the same. Neither worked 100%, ever, no matter what I did to them. The later rifle was sent to a well known HK guru and came back exactly as it was sent. I sold them both and washed my hands of everything associated with any brand he was involved with.

I will give him credit for single handedly creating the clone market. To my knowledge there was nothing, no maker of any kind doing aftermarket clones until he started it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

#29 · (Edited)
I hate to admit that I do own one of his guns and another made on one of his receivers.

The SD has run since day one without an issue. Cleaned it really well and lubed it up.

That said I did toss the BCG and replaced it with a RCM unit even before I shot it.

The other is a 33SG1 clone built by Jeff Walters. It has yet to let me down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.