2015 PTR 91 bolt gap woes
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 2015 PTR 91 bolt gap woes

  1. #1
    Junior Member

    Join Date : Jun 2020
    Posts : 7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default 2015 PTR 91 bolt gap woes

    Traded an AK for a PTR91 GIR.

    Love the gun, I already shoot an ass of .308/7.62x51 so it worked out well. Overall condition was decent, hadn’t been cleaned in a long time although the owner said he *maybe* had 300 rounds down the tube.

    Bolt gap was atrocious, 0.006 and the gun had extraction/ejection issues. Alright, ordered a RTG bolt, slapped it in, bolt gap shot up to 0.014/0.015. Put another 100 rounds down the tube, dropped to 0.08. I have an HK locking piece and HK bolt carrier on the way, but I wanted to know if I was heading in the right direction?

    Based on what I’ve read, + rollers will fix a beat up/heavily used gun, but the RTG bolt uses standard 8mm rollers and instantly shot the gap up to 0.014-0.015 (loose/snug) so I don’t think it’s receiver wear or a beat to death trunion. I’m guessing it’s a soft/poorly made PTR locking piece? Luckily I live in SC so...if all else fails, drop it off like a fire station baby on PTR’s doorstep?

  2. #2
    GOH
    GOH is offline
    Very Senior Member

    Join Date : Jul 2000
    Location : Wyoming
    Posts : 229
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    While it is possible that your new RTG bolt was responsible for the shrinkage of bolt gap during break in, it would be fairly unusual to go from 0.014" to 0.008" in 100 rounds of use, especially after the gun has already seen 300 rounds prior to that. I own one of these bolts, and it has been a solid performer. If there were problems with them, it would have been reported on this site at some point, and I haven't seen anything posted.

    If your new HK locking piece doesn't stabilize your bolt gap, you probably have a soft trunnion or your barrel may not be pinned properly. Either problem would hopefully be fixed by the manufacturer, although I'm personally unfamiliar with PTR's warranty and customer service. A complete loss of bolt gap could potentially be a safety issue, so I would think they would want to make sure that a PTR customer is safe even if you aren't the original owner.

    By the way, welcome to the site!
    May you never walk alone.

  3. #3
    Very Senior Member

    Join Date : Sep 2004
    Posts : 248
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DevelopmentLockedBlowback View Post
    Traded an AK for a PTR91 GIR.

    Love the gun, I already shoot an ass of .308/7.62x51 so it worked out well. Overall condition was decent, hadn’t been cleaned in a long time although the owner said he *maybe* had 300 rounds down the tube.

    Bolt gap was atrocious, 0.006 and the gun had extraction/ejection issues. Alright, ordered a RTG bolt, slapped it in, bolt gap shot up to 0.014/0.015. Put another 100 rounds down the tube, dropped to 0.08. I have an HK locking piece and HK bolt carrier on the way, but I wanted to know if I was heading in the right direction?

    Based on what I’ve read, + rollers will fix a beat up/heavily used gun, but the RTG bolt uses standard 8mm rollers and instantly shot the gap up to 0.014-0.015 (loose/snug) so I don’t think it’s receiver wear or a beat to death trunion. I’m guessing it’s a soft/poorly made PTR locking piece? Luckily I live in SC so...if all else fails, drop it off like a fire station baby on PTR’s doorstep?
    that many rounds is not a heavily used gun.

    I doubt the locking piece was compressed that much in 100 rounds or the gun would have never made it to 300.

    If the bolt had that big of a difference I would bet that something was not correct/right on the install and it settled back in after the 100 rounds.
    new american parts can change bolt gap a little, but unles something was off it wont change that much

    why did you change the bolt anyways vs get new rollers? and why would you get a new carrier?

  4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    HKPRO Professional
    tmbrwulf's Avatar
    Join Date : Mar 2008
    Location : TX
    Posts : 753
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Is It one of the JLD PTR91's ?

  6. #5
    Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

    Join Date : Mar 2012
    Location : Mid Atlantic states
    Posts : 796
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

    Default

    PTR bolts and locking peices are one of the weak spots in the PTR rifles. Numerous reports of out of spec issues. When you get the locking peice in then see what you have. Because of the spec issues when switching the PTR bolt it is important to swap the locking peice as well. Their locking peices and bolts do not always play well with original parts. Chances are your locking peice was out of spec and hung up in the RTG bolt and firing settled it in, hence the recent surprise drop in bolt gap.

    When you get the new locking peice installed, check your gap, determine if you need to swap rollers out. Anywhere from .014-18 is the sweet spot for these. Just check what your cocking tube gap is as well once you have your bolt gap issue cleared up.

    I would be surprised if your barrel is moving at this point, if you find your gap continues to drop then give PTR a call. They have a good reputation for their customer support.
    BulkHead likes this.

  7. #6
    Very Senior Member

    Join Date : Oct 2018
    Location : SoCal Loco
    Posts : 221
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Keep us informed on this.

  8. #7
    Junior Member

    Join Date : Jun 2020
    Posts : 7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TaylorWSO View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DevelopmentLockedBlowback View Post
    Traded an AK for a PTR91 GIR.

    Love the gun, I already shoot an ass of .308/7.62x51 so it worked out well. Overall condition was decent, hadn’t been cleaned in a long time although the owner said he *maybe* had 300 rounds down the tube.

    Bolt gap was atrocious, 0.006 and the gun had extraction/ejection issues. Alright, ordered a RTG bolt, slapped it in, bolt gap shot up to 0.014/0.015. Put another 100 rounds down the tube, dropped to 0.08. I have an HK locking piece and HK bolt carrier on the way, but I wanted to know if I was heading in the right direction?

    Based on what I’ve read, + rollers will fix a beat up/heavily used gun, but the RTG bolt uses standard 8mm rollers and instantly shot the gap up to 0.014-0.015 (loose/snug) so I don’t think it’s receiver wear or a beat to death trunion. I’m guessing it’s a soft/poorly made PTR locking piece? Luckily I live in SC so...if all else fails, drop it off like a fire station baby on PTR’s doorstep?
    that many rounds is not a heavily used gun.

    I doubt the locking piece was compressed that much in 100 rounds or the gun would have never made it to 300.

    If the bolt had that big of a difference I would bet that something was not correct/right on the install and it settled back in after the 100 rounds.
    new american parts can change bolt gap a little, but unles something was off it wont change that much

    why did you change the bolt anyways vs get new rollers? and why would you get a new carrier?
    I was trying to figure out the extraction/ejection issue, figured to hell with it, I’ll swap the damn bolt and see what happens. Magically, all my ejection/extraction issues stopped and it starting slinging brass about 10 yards at 2 o’clock.

    I don’t think it’s a soft trunion, as the rifle is about 5 years post trunion-gate and all claims of experiencing them seem to stop around 2011 and there aren’t any cracks that I can visually see.

    However....the original PTR bolt and locking piece look beat to ****, but the bore looks pristine, chamber looks pristine, and short of bore scoping it, it does not resemble a rifle bore that’s been rode hard and put up wet. Browsing HKpro and RTG reviews seems to suggest that the MIM (injected molded metal) used in the PTR bolts and locking pieces is about 20 Rockwell’s short of what a standard HK spec bolt should be. They don’t look beat to **** as in shot a lot, they just look like they’ve worn down a lot in a short period of time. I know it’s apples to oranges, but every bolt in every other gun I’ve used they tend to look pretty damn normal until the bolt head snaps or cracks.

  9. #8
    HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    BulkHead's Avatar
    Join Date : Aug 2019
    Posts : 94
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Now that you have the PTR, register it on their website. You will have to do that to access warranty work.

  10. #9
    HK= NFG 4 the Wallet
    Chargerdude70's Avatar
    Join Date : Oct 2019
    Location : Michigan
    Age : 55
    Posts : 751
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BulkHead View Post
    Now that you have the PTR, register it on their website. You will have to do that to access warranty work.

    He traded for the weapon, he is not the original owner. PTR's LT warranty is not transferable...

  11. #10
    Junior Member

    Join Date : Jun 2020
    Posts : 7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chargerdude70 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BulkHead View Post
    Now that you have the PTR, register it on their website. You will have to do that to access warranty work.

    He traded for the weapon, he is not the original owner. PTR's LT warranty is not transferable...
    Yeah, which sucks, however I live about 2 hours from their main campus in S.C. and if it ended up needing warranty work, I would be willing to take it to them to do it and pay out of pocket if need be.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links

 
 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

ptr 32 bolt gap

Click on a term to search for related topics.