UMP clone receivers - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: UMP clone receivers

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The serialized part is considered the firearm according to the ATF. So yes, Top Notch is copying H&K and yes, they can probably be sued. And aftermarket manufacturers have been making MP5 and G3 clones because, as I understand it, the patents for those designs expired long ago. That is not the case with the UMP. But hey, more power to Top Notch if they can make a legal product.

On another note, OMEGA MCS GIDEON 300 is stupid, stupid name.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    218 Post(s)

Well, at least with that new Top Notch receiver, you can get the fused/graft job done without having to send your USC receiver to TBostic or Chopstix.

Banned

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Does Coharie Arms do anything to change the look of their MP5 clone barreled uppers? MP5 Receivers, Flats, Barreled Uppers
    The only people that had Hk come after them were people making the complete gun. Hk can not do anything if they are sold as replacement parts.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Let's hope these can be had legally but we won't know that "HK can not do anything" until and only until after HK undoubtedly dispatches their legal reps to go after Top Notch.

Banned

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Do any of you people understand that there is only one thing that I am sure of that HK holds a "Patent" on the USC/UMP......that is the charging handle!!!
    How long is a patent good for? Think hard...... the answer is 17 years. Now what is the date on UMP magazines...um......1994... what year is it today....think...2013.
    So do the math... has it been more or less than 17 years? Last time I looked, yes it's still there, 18 is after 17.
    For all of you out there, Hk's lawyer that was trying to sue everyone under the sun was not going after patent infringement, but after what they called trade dress. They have worked very hard at not going in front of a judge because they know that they will not win. There is one case left that the indignant will not settle and is taking it to trial. We should see resolution to that case later this year. I know from talking to Coharie Arms that their settlement with Hk was to no longer build complete guns. What does Coharie Arms do under the agreement they build barreled uppers. As long as Top Notch stays away from complete guns they are aftermarket parts no different than making a stock just like Hk's UMP stock, that Top Notch makes, Hkparts' 9mm bolt, everyone's barrels.
    Just food for thought.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Chill out, guy, nobody's stopping you from purchasing one of these.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Actually Patents are good for 20 Years, but its based on when you file the paperwork. Also one could protect thier product through the use of a Trade Mark, its a little bit harder, but instead of protecting the Techonology they are protecting the "look".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ed's abortion, as you so eloquently put it, is both solid steel (not aluminum) and approved by the BATF. I'm sure it will hold up just fine.

Merchant of Death (Admin)
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)

old.cutlass.442 is actually Wade Bailey, brother of Todd. And since this is patently a shill set of posts... He is now banned.

Wondering what happened to your posts???
    Please take a moment to re-read the terms that
    you agreed to
    when you signed up:
    Hidden Content .

Help bring sense to the NFA world, join Hidden Content .

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by straightgrain View Post
    old.cutlass.442 is actually Wade Bailey, brother of Todd. And since this is patently a shill set of posts... He is now banned.
    I had a weird feeling he was some random shill but I didn't realize he was a Bailey. I've heard of TB here and on M4C and most everything mentioned was bad. This reinforces things. Oh well. I'm glad I got my USC converted by Chopstix.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links