USP 45 Expert with Jarvis Custom Threaded Barrel

Thread: USP 45 Expert with Jarvis Custom Threaded Barrel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default USP 45 Expert with Jarvis Custom Threaded Barrel

Hey guys,

I'm thinking of getting a Jarvis Custom barrel extended out with threads to drop into a USP 45 Expert I plan on getting... I currently have a Tactical but would appreciate the extra length barrel the Expert provides.

From my quick and dirty calculations, adding the threaded barrel would bring the barrel length right up there with the Mark 23 (USP Tactical barrel - USP Full size barrel + USP Expert barrel).

Has anyone done this or had experience with Jarvis Custom? I asked him about the viability of the barrel and its certainly doable as it falls under the maximum barrel length of 6.02" that he provides.

-Andrew

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Jarvis makes top quality barrels, got a few in my pistols.

Bill
    no sig ads

HKPRO Professional
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have one for my standard USP 45. It is disturbingly accurate and totally reliable. My Expert is a total tack driver as is, so I don't think you'll see an improvement. I think the accuracy upgrade for me was the "o-ring".

As far as going from a tactical to an expert with a longer barrel......I don't know what you are trying to attain. For suppressed use, the Tactical is about the best out of the box system out there. The folks I know in the community that use the MK23 actually prefer the Tactical as a better system (and is what they wish they had gotten instead of the MK23). If you are looking for shear shooting ability, the Expert is already in a league of its own. I prefer the Expert because I like the melted sights over the high ones on the tactical. Out of the box accuracy of the Expert is pretty well know. I don't know anybody who could ever shoot one to its limits that would justify some type of tighter barrel.

The long and short of this is: If you want it suppressed, keep your tactical. If you want what I feel is the best USP series pistol out there, the Expert is the way to go. If you have a standard USP, the Jarvis barrel is a cost effective up grade without having to buy a new gun. To put a long Jarvis barrel in an expert....It may look pretty cool, but I don't think you'll see any performance improvement. You would gain more by spending the money on ammo and training with the expert.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Agree - Why mess with perfection!

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just get the Jarvis barrel, its your gun-- enjoy it the way you want it to be!

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My Expert is just as accurate as my Les Baer TRS, not sure you can get any better.
    Aim High!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If you plan to add a suppressor after the Jarvis in the expert. What sights are you going to add?
    USPc .40 Desert Tan V1
    USPf .45 Custom Combat Desert Tan V1

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Tactical also uses a different recoil assembly than the USP but I think it uses the same as the Expert so that should not be a problem but check part numbers to be sure. As mentioned, the Expert's rear sight is recessed into the slide unlike the Tactical's so the rear sight sits lower. That will be problem when shooting suppressed if the sights don't clear the can. Something else to check on before spending a lot of money.
    Last, from bench rest using match grade ammo, my Tacs are just as accurate as my Expert. Off hand the longer sight radius might aid in better shooting but the Tacs are just as accurate as the Experts when you take the human factor out of it.
    Join the NRA
    On the 8th day God created HKs.
    Beware speaking with a sharp tongue as you are apt to cut your own throat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the great feedback everyone... Had a lot of time to think it over. I think I may just go ahead with it simply because I plan on owning only one (right... I know we all say that at first...) H&K pistol and I want it to be exactly the way I want it.

Quick and dirty calculations show that I should be able to use the expert sights with most suppressors:

Using multiple images and known dimensions, (I'm at work, so I can't physically measure my pistol) its about 10mm from the center of the barrel to the slide top. A tactical sight is 10.55mm tall (ameriglo version) and an expert sight is 8.9mm tall (also ameriglo).

This puts the radius at 18.9mm for the Expert instead of 20.6 for the Tactical. Most suppressors are 35mm but the largest I found, the ATAS-45, is 38mm, and even that one would work with the Expert. The clearance is pretty slim, but it makes it. Barely.

In the end, the Tactical is more than enough gun for my skill, but I guess the true reason behind me going this path is that I'm going for exactly what I want in my relatively unique build...

Honesty is the best policy, so I guess I should say I want this for the cool factor, and not really because its "better" in any quantifiable way.

Thanks again all, especially for keeping me honest!

Sponsored Links