HK's are garbage...so I was told
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: HK's are garbage...so I was told

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default HK's are garbage...so I was told

My godfather, I man I truly respect (he is a recently retired police captain, was the PD armorer & firearms instructor, FFL, gunsmith, etc.) absolutey HATES..I mean HATES HK pistols (with the exception of the P7) with a passion I have never seen. His story is that his officers did (and still do) all carry Para LDA's. The tac team guys carry the HK USP 45.

When I showed up with my HK USP 45 at his ranch you could see visible shame on his face. So he goes into a story about HKs. He claims he had several USP's that needed replacement parts and could not get them, and one of the USP's frame literally blew apart on the range. His dealing with HK was less than stellar and he claimed they basically blew his dept off.

So he is telling me all this and normally I take what he says in regards to firearms as gospel but in this case I had to dissagree with him. Ok yea I can see dealing with HK might have been an issue...tho as I understand it is improved....but I had to ask him if his opnion was jaded because he didnt like the way HK responded or if his opinion was honesty based on the fact that he had faulty USP's. I got a list of reasons which included things like USPs are overpriced, HK doesnt stand behind thier product, hard to get parts, unreliable, plastic pieces of 'junk' (tho he used another word for 'junk'), and you cant trust your life to them. That really didnt fly.

I am not new to USPs or HK handguns in general. I had several USPs before and regrettably sold them. I have since replaced them. For me the USP is the most accurate handgun I have ever shot. No kidding. I have shot Wilson's, Baers, Sigs, Glocks, etc. but the USP has always been reliable, tough, well made, and accurate for me. And I shoot it the best. YMMV of course.

I remember the first HK I ever fired. It was a USP 9mm. After only a few rounds I had a smile on face. It made a big enough impression on me that I have never forgotten the first time I shot one. I cant think of one single gun that I have such a memory of shooting for the first time.......unless it was a bad experience.

While I am sure I didnt win him over to HKs by my reply I would not be swayed into thinking HK...especially USP's are crap. I just have never seen that in my experience with them. I know every manufacture cranks out a lemon or two or three I dont care who they are.

We had a spirited debate for a while and finally he said "well if it works for you then great"

Can an HK have problems? Of course. Do I trust my life to my HKs? More so than any other handgun I own. Are they 'junk'? No....not in my book. And since its MY book thats what counts to me.

This is kind of a ramble I know. My point is I think HK's...at least ALL the ones I had and currently have are in fact NOT garbage. If they were I would own any. I think they are seriously great firearms.

Anyway...just had to share this little experience. :)

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

I know a local SWAT member who is also their shooting instructor. He works out at the same gym I do, and we BS between sets a lot. He said that they used to issue HK USPs to both the swat team and the regular officers as well. They eventually were forced to switch brands because they could never get parts for their USPs.

He said they still carry a few MP5s, but whomever controls the money won't ever buy any issue handguns for HK again. He said he liked them, and other officers both swat and regular still like them, but the parts issue was just too big of a problem to work around.
    Hidden Content

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Banned

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

The Maine State Police has the USP .45 now for almost 10 years.
    A friend of mine who is a firearms instructor and HK armor has a few complains about HK CS but not about the USP itself.
    He complains, that HK CS is hard to deal with, parts are hard to get and are priced outrageously.
    Also when they went from the V3 version to the LEM, HK tried to force them into new guns instead of selling them the trigger sets.

My personal experience is similar. It is hard to even get someone one the phone, e-mail is not answered and if finally have the ONE HK person who sells for parts, most of them are not in stock.
    This is another thing, HK has ONE person for the whole civilian market for after sales!

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I must be the lucky one. HK has answered every e-mail I have ever sent, always answers the phone and gets my orders to me in a reasonable amount of time. They are friendly but to the point when I call. I only wish they had an accurate list of accessories they have in stock. How do I know what to order if I don't know what they have? I don't really need anything but want a ton of stuff. They would probably make a killing off me if I knew what they had. Luckily there are three really good aftermarket places online to go through.

HKPRO Professional

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default USP.45

It is too bad HK left your friend with a bad taste in his mouth.

My primary police duty weapon is the HK USP .45f converted to LEM. I am an NRA LE and state certified LE handgun/shotgun instructor.

Since HK's are more difficult to get parts for, I just bought a second USP .45f and keep it in my safe as a back-up. If my main one has an issue, I'll fill out a card with Professional Standards at my dept. and qualify with the replacement gun while the first one is sent out for a repair. We have an HK armorer at our dept. too. However, I have yet to have a problem with my primary pistol in six years. I shoot it often but really take care of it.

HK does need to do a better job serving local law enforcement. They should have more affordable police packages with night sights and three magazines. Parts should be in stock and rush shipped to an officer whose primary weapon needs a repair so he can get back on the street.

Getting more HK pistols in the holsters of local cops would surely help their sales to non-sworn shooters too. People like to own what cops carry. Glocks and the S&W M&P are both very popular.

My off-duty gun is a P2000sk 9mm in LEM. It is a great carry gun with the flat magazine floor plates.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

why are parts so hard to get? I mean if you have a pasrt that needs replacing even if u send your gun to HK will they have they part to fix it? Or do they just not ship out parts?

HKPRO Professional
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

First, everybody has their opinions. As for parts, the supply chain needs redesigned at HK. Ever try to get magazines? HK could make more money if they had their supply chain management down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I haven't had any issues with my handguns only had the infamous small crack on the receiver of my SL8. And when I called HK I got the machine, they quickly called me back gave me RMA, sent my receiver and in a week I had my new receiver.

I much rather have lousy customer support and not need it than having great customer support and using it all the time. Saying that my one experience with HK customer support was nothing but positive. I truly couldn't care about customer support when I am making a desicion on buying guns.
    HK USP45
    HK45
    HK P30L
    HK P2000SK
    HK SL8-1
    HK UMP 40
    SAIGA 12
    AK47

HKPRO Professional
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Being able to purchase spare mags would also be nice for those who abuse their current mags.

Requiescat in Pace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Not trying to sound snarky, but anyone who suggests a Para LDA over an HK (or over a Glock, Smith, SIG, Ruger, possibly even a Hi-Point) has pretty much lost all possible respect from me to begin with.

When I worked at SIG, I was able to steal some HK agencies because of the issues you're describing. HK's inability to keep parts in the supply chain and inability to service customers even just a couple years ago was infamous. The Germans just don't get how things work in the US. They're used to having a very small number of large agencies/units per country and having those agencies purchase spare parts en masse on a regular schedule. Thousands of small agencies and tens of thousands of individual owners is so far off the chart of HK's business model that I honestly wonder if the folks running the mothership ever come over here.

HK-USA is under new management now, management that knows first hand how the supply train/CS issues have hurt their ability to grow and dominate in the US market. The new president has been running the show for just over six months and already there have been some improvements. Are things perfect? Not by a long shot. But the folks running the show over here know what needs to be done and they know what buttons to push in Germany to get the changes started.
    --
    [B]Train hard & stay safe![/B]
    Todd Louis Green
    Hidden Content
    Because [b]I[/b] don't suck, and HK doesn't hate [b]me[/b].

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links