Hk MARK 23 LAM- what model is this?
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Hk MARK 23 LAM- what model is this?

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Default Hk MARK 23 LAM- what model is this?

I recently purchased this Insight LAM unit on Gunbroker. I need help identifying the model....any info would be much appreciated.

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Looks lika an AN/PEQ-14, ILWLP, take a look on their website
    German beer, cars, guns. Italian motorcycles

45CT LEM
    P30 LEM
    MR556
    MK23 w Knights Armament
    AAC Tirant 45s / 16x1RH,16x1LH
    HK 416 Umarex 22 LR
    45C FDE LEM
    AAC 762-SDN-6
    45C LEM
    P7 M8
    VP 9
    USP45 Tactical
    USP45c LEM
    USP9 LEM
    BAP9 SBR
    P30 SK

Unrepentant HKHolic

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

No IR designator nor illuminator = LAM 1450

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Thanks .... the toggle switch looks to be shorter on mine than other similar pics I've seen . Was the longer switch a option or add on ?

Unrepentant HKHolic

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Longer toggle was on the earlier gen LAMs.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Is there a way to attach a tape switch?

Unrepentant HKHolic

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

There is no port for a tape/remote switch interface. IIRC, the older LAM units had an all metal POI adjusting tool. Mine is the most recent version and has the metal post w/plastic ribbed crown.

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)

Look at the label for the model number!!!
    Appears to be the AN/PEQ-6 (Model 100).

Tony

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

It did not have a warning label when I purchased it just leftover glue. I called insight gave them the serial # and they sent me a new label.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fmlyman View Post
    I recently purchased this Insight LAM unit on Gunbroker. I need help identifying the model....any info would be much appreciated.
    If you'll post a photo of the front of your LAM, I'll be able to confirm instantly what model it is and whether it is the civilian model (VIS laser + White Light only) or the restricted "military / LE" model (VIS & IR laser aimers and White Light & IR illuminators). The military's equipment designation for the Mark 23 LAM is "PEQ-6".

Your bottom label is clearly for the civilian model, however. On your photo of the left side, I can see that it is missing the data describing the IR laser output ratings (in mW). For the military model HK Mark 23 LAM: when looking at that bottom label straight-on, the information about the IR laser outputs is on the bottom, right corner with the model id (i.e. LAM-XXX or LAM-XXXX) just below it.

There are some variations in how the labels are printed, but your LAM has all the features of the most recent and last LAM configuration that Insight L3 produced for the Mark 23 pistol -- the restricted "military / LE" version would be identified on the label as "LAM-1400" for your unit's generation. These include: head on white light illuminator (aka 'flashlight') that has the adjustable bezel with lens assembly that threads into the bezel body (the earlier generation Mark 23 LAMs had a one-piece bezel with a slight bevel on the sides going forward toward the lens); shorter length toggle switch / lever at the bottom; ribbed and slotted, metal, sight adjustment tool; and sight adjustment nuts on the side and bottom of the LAM (versus both windage and elevation on the same side).

As Insight L3 (now Eotech) has phased out production on the Mark 23 LAM, some of their last remaining inventory of both the civilian and restricted LE models are trickling out into the open market. I recently observed a modest quantity of Mark 23 SOCOM pistols with LAM removed from [military] reserve status and sent back to the NSWC at Crane, but those pistols and LAMs showed extensive use and wear. Federal law requires strict manufacturer accountability on the disposition of military and LE LAMs, and with requirement on the military or LE department to destroy their LAMs with the IR capability when those devices are no longer in service. This makes legitimate (i.e. not stolen) versions of the restricted "military / LE" LAMs very scarce on the civilian open market.

You mention that the label or labels were missing. That usually is a red flag for a stolen unit, especially if the serial number is ground off elsewhere on the LAM. On occasion, some dork will peel the label off a civilian unit and try to sell the unit "as-is" with "possible provenance as a U.S. Navy SEAL bring back". The bullshit story often offered is that the label was removed for "covert" "In-Country" "missions" or "dark ops". If you have missing labels and those "key words" in an advertisement then that is usually a warning indicator to check the LAM as being misrepresented as military issue [or authorized] equipment. With an in-person inspection: the simple test is to don your helmet / head gear with PVS-14 and in low light, flip the selector on the LAM to "IR" and "IR ILL", activate the LAM, and observe if there is infrared output. That's the positive confirmation (WYSIWYG) method. However, it is easy enough for someone familiar with these to discern, on quick examination, whether the lenses on the IR laser and IR illuminator apertures are missing -- which would indicate the civilian unit.

Sven
    Last edited by Sven53; 05-14-2013 at 03:04 PM.

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links