HK Pistol with Reflex Sights
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: HK Pistol with Reflex Sights

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default HK Pistol with Reflex Sights

Anyone running Reflex Sights on their HK Pistol? I see video's of Competitive Shooters with them.
    This would be for Target Shooting only. Pictures and comments would be appreciated.

Requiescat in Pace

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

If you are talking about red dot sights, HK pistols in general do not lend themselves as well to that concept as do Glocks and M&Ps. This is because of the design of the slides; for one thing, the firing pin block is in the way, located as it is in the middle of the area between the breech face and the rear of the slide. It can be done (and has been done), but the resulting package is rather bulky and odd-looking. By comparison, RMRs, JPoints, DeltaPoints, etc., on Glocks and M&Ps, if done carefully, look quite symmetrical and proper.

IOW, for a range toy, which you seem to be interested in, it won't be too big of a deal for you to buy a rear sight mount and slap an RDS onto your HK. Its when you're talking about carrying an RDS-equipped pistol, especially concealed, that the bulk/aesthetics comes into play.

I have been playing with this concept for several years now. I have three Glock 19s with integrally-mounted red dot sights, and had a USP Compact .40 done. That was a disaster, mainly due to the afore-mentioned location of the FPB. The mechanic who milled my slide went a bit too far on that part, and the gun would not fire. In his defense, it was the first HK he tried this with, and there is always a learning curve. We settled up, no hard feelings. I hear that he has since "got it down" and has done several HKs for folks.

What's more important here is this… even if it had worked, the resulting package was too bulky for me to conceal, without radically changing my holster and other parameters… something I simply will not do, since the way I've been doing it for many years works quite well.

The issue with RDS pistols in general is this… it is expensive to get into, and once you're in, you feel compelled to go whole-hog (more expense)… and after you have done so, THAT is when you will discover that there is more- much more- to the concept than meets the eye. To be specific, if you get a carry pistol set up, you will find that it is marvelous for distance shots… and painfully slower on close-up shots. The reasons why are beyond the scope of this post, just rest assured that if you ever intend to try carrying a pistol with a red dot sight, the learning curve is not steep but it is long.

I know, you said "target shooting only". Trust me… once you see how far superior the RDS is to irons for deliberate sighted fire, you'll be tempted to try it on a carry gun. And that is a whole new ball game.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Thanks for the insight and comments. I would love to set up a Expert 9mm with RDS.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mark Housel at L&M Precision has been able to figure out a way to mount a RDS onto HK pistols. It is not as straight forward as a Glock or M&P, but it seems to work. He's posted some examples on his website.

Al

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

I'll be heading down the road to Southern Pines in October . Thx !
    Certified NRA RSO

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LSP 972 View Post
    If you are talking about red dot sights, HK pistols in general do not lend themselves as well to that concept as do Glocks and M&Ps. This is because of the design of the slides; for one thing, the firing pin block is in the way, located as it is in the middle of the area between the breech face and the rear of the slide. It can be done (and has been done), but the resulting package is rather bulky and odd-looking. By comparison, RMRs, JPoints, DeltaPoints, etc., on Glocks and M&Ps, if done carefully, look quite symmetrical and proper.

IOW, for a range toy, which you seem to be interested in, it won't be too big of a deal for you to buy a rear sight mount and slap an RDS onto your HK. Its when you're talking about carrying an RDS-equipped pistol, especially concealed, that the bulk/aesthetics comes into play.

I have been playing with this concept for several years now. I have three Glock 19s with integrally-mounted red dot sights, and had a USP Compact .40 done. That was a disaster, mainly due to the afore-mentioned location of the FPB. The mechanic who milled my slide went a bit too far on that part, and the gun would not fire. In his defense, it was the first HK he tried this with, and there is always a learning curve. We settled up, no hard feelings. I hear that he has since "got it down" and has done several HKs for folks.

What's more important here is this… even if it had worked, the resulting package was too bulky for me to conceal, without radically changing my holster and other parameters… something I simply will not do, since the way I've been doing it for many years works quite well.

The issue with RDS pistols in general is this… it is expensive to get into, and once you're in, you feel compelled to go whole-hog (more expense)… and after you have done so, THAT is when you will discover that there is more- much more- to the concept than meets the eye. To be specific, if you get a carry pistol set up, you will find that it is marvelous for distance shots… and painfully slower on close-up shots. The reasons why are beyond the scope of this post, just rest assured that if you ever intend to try carrying a pistol with a red dot sight, the learning curve is not steep but it is long.

I know, you said "target shooting only". Trust me… once you see how far superior the RDS is to irons for deliberate sighted fire, you'll be tempted to try it on a carry gun. And that is a whole new ball game.

Applause. couldnt agree more.
    In this house we serve the Lord, but we use H&K. - TSK

H&K USP TACTICAL .45
    H&K HK45 "T"
    H&K USPc .45
    H&K USPc .45 50th Anniversary
    H&K P30LS 9mm
    H&K VP9
    H&K P30sk 9mm
    H&K USPc 9mm
    H&K USPc .357 Sig
    Sig Sauer P226 9mm
    CZ Scorpion Evo 3
    Springfield XDS 9mm
    Springfield 1911 TRP
    Mod. Saiga-12 Shotgun
    Rem 870 Tactical "Magpul"
    Custom AR-15 "STEELKNIGHT VARIANT"
    S&W PC 629 Competitor

"Glocks are like small block chevy's. Overly abundant and rarely impressive" - Wes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LSP 972 View Post
    Personally, I think this can go either way. I love RDS for deliberate aimed fire but if I ever have to use my carry gun for it's intended purpose I really won't be doing any of that. I've found that at typical engagement distances (30 feet and under) while under stress I am not aiming so much as pointing and that is actually true for most shooters. To make this point one of my instructors had me tape over my sights and practice running off Mozambique drills as quickly as possible at 15 feet. With the sights taped over I was only slightly less accurate then usual. That's where the constant training and repetition come in. But I also know guys who run RDS on pistols that have trained with them for years who can run things off very quickly. But I have been shooting irons for 30 years so I don't expect the same results.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zzw26n View Post
    Thanks for the insight and comments. I would love to set up a Expert 9mm with RDS.
    I'm with you 100 % on this . I'll probably do one of my P30's as well . The Mark 23 would be a great candidate based on it not being able to carry ? ANY productive shooting with whatever platform you are using is good. My carry gun is what it is , my carry gun . I shoot a lot of guns I don't intend to carry . I shoot out to 100 yds with my Expert and do most of my shooting from 15 to 45 yds . Hell , when I'm shooting out to 10 yds I'm barely even looking at the sights . This L&M is about an hour from the house . When they get moved in I'll be going down there and seeing what they have to offer .

It's funny , you bring up using an RDS on this forum and you get that Garth Brooks expression / look ( I just farted do you smell it ? ) . LOl , go for it zzw26n , I sure as hell am !

Last edited by Crashmc; 08-30-2014 at 05:42 PM.

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I wonder if the VP9 would be a better platform for this?..................
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Requiescat in Pace

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Riddley_Walker View Post
    Personally, I think this can go either way. I love RDS for deliberate aimed fire but if I ever have to use my carry gun for it's intended purpose I really won't be doing any of that.
    You hope.

Its "intended purpose" is to allow you to defend yourself from an unprovoked attack, right? What if that attack is coming from across a parking lot, and you have no place to run to… covered or otherwise? You going to shoot back… or just stand there and hope he misses?

I'm not being a smart-ass with this; I know of several real incidents quite similar to my "scenario".

Yes, one can get quick, up close, with an RDS. Your use of the phrase "guys...have trained with them for years" is the difference… and why I wrote that the learning curve is not steep, but long.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links