First 100 rounds of new VP9 and slide not locking back
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: First 100 rounds of new VP9 and slide not locking back

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default First 100 rounds of new VP9 and slide not locking back

Hi folks, good to be here and even better to be a new HK owner! A little about myself first: 46 yrs old, father of 2 awesome sons, 1 going into 10th grade, other going into college in a month for Criminal Justice. Hunting and shooting since I was 13; don't worry, not a self-proclaimed expert my any means. In fact, please forgive my lack of knowledge if it shows in my first question to you. Owned many guns. Most recently made the switch from Glock to HK and we will never look back. I picked up a VP9LE for my son and I to shoot and we just love it. It feels great and shoots just as well as we shoot it. My question though is, we shot it today for the first time (bought it new) and the slide did not stay locked back after the last shot. ( I think it may have once or twice but not every time). The other odd thing was, it didn't fire the very last round we shot. We loaded that round twice and it finally went off on the 3rd time. I hope I'm making sense.
    So, first off, we bought it from Georgia Gun Store; they said it was new and it's advertised as new; anyone with any conflicting info on that?
    Second, could this be normal for the first few hundred rounds? Any break in period we should expect?
    Thank you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

All guns will have their break in periods mostly for the trigger and other odds in ins. Hk's are no different. Just ask P30L 9mm owners.

For the slide not locking back, check your thumb! You are probably pressing down on the slide release (I do it more often than not). It's not in the best place for those of us who shoot a thumbs forward grip. Shoot it next time in your support hand.

As for the last round, see if it does it again on the next range trip. Ammo quality these days isn't 100% reliable.

Unrepentant HKHolic

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Congrats and welcome! Great intro:) If you put an empty mag in the gun and pull the slide back does it lock back? If so it's almost a guarantee that your thumb is on the slide release. It's much different than a glock and will take a little getting used to. I have never had the slide lock back on me, as a lefty I am constantly riding the ambi slide release. Are you saying you tried to shoot the same bullet 3 times and it fired on the third time? If that's the case it was most likely a hard primer. You are asking if the gun was new or the ammo? I think if the gun shop said the gun was new I would expect it to be. They can get in a lot of trouble if they sell a used gun as new, I think?? You should have been able to tell if it was new, mine was very oily from the factory.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Location : North of one border South of another East and West of the others
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Congrats on your new HK and welcome to the site. My bet goes to 1. your grip is pressing the slide release 2. your ammo was most likely cheaper, out of spec ammo and caused the failure. If you use the search feature here you should see several threads on the out of spec ammo in the stepped chamber and also about the slide release and your thumb. Stay with the better ammo and try some NATO 124 gr through it.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Had the same issue first time out with my VP9. Yeppers, it's you. Small adjustment to where/how you place your thumb and you'll be golden. The 124gr can't hurt. Or make sure the 115gr is good quality. Enjoy the VP9. It's an awesome shooter.
    Kenny E

If at first you don't succeed, perhaps skydiving isn't for you.
    Two silk worms were in a race. They ended up in a tie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Not saying anything anyone else hasn't already mentioned. :D

But what I did (my suggestion) to diagnose this was try shooting one-handed and see if you have the same issue with the slide. The slide release is verrrry sensitive, it seems, and very large. The slightest pressure and I've had the same issue. Try one-handed with a thumbs down grip.

For the other part with the ammo - consistently with last round or just that one round? If consistently (or maybe just in general next time), check your spent casings for where it's striking. Make sure it's pretty much center and pretty deep. If you're seeing inconsistencies there, may be issue with the gun. Otherwise, likely just a bad round.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Guessing you're used to shooting 1911's or have a very aggressive forward grip on your strong thumb. If so, you're depressing the slide lock during the recoil. It happened to me on the P30 and VP9. Finally got the VP9 grip down better, but still struggle with the P30.
    Here's a test-- using one hand only, rack a round, drop the mag, and fire strong hand. Do that 10 times. I'll bet you a wooden nickel it'll lock back each time.
    Try it with both hands, and it'll not lock back.
    If that's the case, it's entirely your grip. Angle your thumb down by about 10 degrees and you'll be fine. Or, you can Dremel jockey the slide stop down more so it doesn't contact your thumb much.
    VP9
    VP9LE
    P30
    P30SK V1
    HK45
    HK45CT
    MK23

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Like the others are saying a slide not locking back is typically the person riding the slide release.

Other typical reasons deal with the magazine;
    1. Not seated properly (is not high enough or captured properly in the handle of the gun...........unlikely though as the second/third round probably would not have stripped properly, but it's the last round and also not likely due to the positioning of the ambi-magazine release on the HK's)
    2. Magazine follower is worn (slide catch is slipping off the follower)
    3. Magazine spring is worn (not pushing up the follower correctly)

Underpowered ammo - slide may not have cycled back to strip the last round, but does not account for the round not firing the second time. Next time this happens examine the primer to see if it was struck properly and not lightly. Also you should label you magazines to see if one of them is a potential problem child. A lot of pistol issues can be attributed to the magazines and this is a way to see if one in particular is causing more (all) issues than the others.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thank you so much folks! I never thought about me hitting the release; it makes sense. I'm anxious to try it again now.
    And that 1 misfire probably was just that 1 particular round.
    I'll keep you posted after we shoot again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

congratulations on the new acquisition and welcome
    HK45T
    P30SK V1
    VP9 LE
    more to come...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links