Question: HK USPc .357 SIG
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Question: HK USPc .357 SIG

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Question: HK USPc .357 SIG

Having been a very happy HK45C owner for some time, I finally found what I'd been looking for: A like-new USPc in .357 SIG. I'm a fanboy of the cartridge. This is my first USPc, and I have a couple of questions:

- Based on a date code of AC, this was made in 2002. I've ordered new Wolff magazine springs, but what other components/springs should I consider replacing based on that date code? This was bought to become my primary CCW gun. I'd be very surprised if this gun has seen 500 rounds.

- If I only use steel magazines, and I replace the magazine release with the extended version, is there any chance this thing is going to start dropping magazines? It's not clear to me if that problem is limited to the full-size USPs. That I just couldn't abide, but I do love the extended magazine release on my 45C.

- Has anyone replaced their hammer spring with a lighter version (10 or 12 lbs) vice the factory 14 lbs? I'm planning to keep this V1, but I'd like a lighter DA pull. It's smooth enough that I don't think it needs to go off to GG for work.

- I'm trying to decide between the Heine Straight 8's or the Trijicon HDs, and I'd love to hear any feedback from those that have them.

Thanks!

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    230 Post(s)

I wouldn't worry too much about replacing any parts based on your described condition and date code. New-design FP, FPB, FPBS come to mind, but not a must. If you have to, TRS, FPBS, hammer and mag springs are some of the parts I would buy for maintenance purposes.

Metal mags are the only mags made for the compacts. The reported issues with EMR only affect some of the USPf 9/40 polymer mags, not other series or metal mags. Your USPc only uses metal mags so you can rest easy now.

Factory hammer spring is 12-lb. I have a few USP/USPc and P30's with the lighter Wolff 10-lb springs and have had no issues at the range, but I am only using factory ammo, not reloads. Some members have reported light strikes with reloads and specific brands of primer.

Trijicon HDs are getting very popular. I must have seen 50-60 coming through my door in the last 6-8 months alone.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have installed the extended mag release on all my HK's. The only one that had the mag dropping problem was the full size USP 45. There is an easy fix for it that you can do yourself.
    Congrats on your new USP Compact. I have the same one coming. It shipped yesterday.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TooSixy View Post
    I wouldn't worry too much about replacing any parts based on your described condition and date code. New-design FP, FPB, FPBS come to mind, but not a must. If you have to, TRS, FPBS, hammer and mag springs are some of the parts I would buy for maintenance purposes.

Metal mags are the only mags made for the compacts. The reported issues with EMR only affect some of the USPf 9/40 polymer mags, not other series or metal mags. Your USPc only uses metal mags so you can rest easy now.

Factory hammer spring is 12-lb. I have a few USP/USPc and P30's with the lighter Wolff 10-lb springs and have had no issues at the range, but I am only using factory ammo, not reloads. Some members have reported light strikes with reloads and specific brands of primer.

Trijicon HDs are getting very popular. I must have seen 50-60 coming through my door in the last 6-8 months alone.
    Thank you. Do either of you know anything about a new-style sear catch? On the LEM kit description on HKPARTS, they mention that I'll need that new sear catch for installation of the LEM kit on USP variants. If I go the LEM route, I'm trying to figure out whether or not the LEM kit is all I'll need.
    Last edited by Richardca99; 02-14-2016 at 01:34 PM.

Requiescat in Pace

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richardca99 View Post
    Having been a very happy HK45C owner for some time, I finally found what I'd been looking for: A like-new USPc in .357 SIG. I'm a fanboy of the cartridge. This is my first USPc, and I have a couple of questions:

- Based on a date code of AC, this was made in 2002. I've ordered new Wolff magazine springs, but what other components/springs should I consider replacing based on that date code? This was bought to become my primary CCW gun. I'd be very surprised if this gun has seen 500 rounds.

- If I only use steel magazines, and I replace the magazine release with the extended version, is there any chance this thing is going to start dropping magazines? It's not clear to me if that problem is limited to the full-size USPs. That I just couldn't abide, but I do love the extended magazine release on my 45C.

- Has anyone replaced their hammer spring with a lighter version (10 or 12 lbs) vice the factory 14 lbs? I'm planning to keep this V1, but I'd like a lighter DA pull. It's smooth enough that I don't think it needs to go off to GG for work.

- I'm trying to decide between the Heine Straight 8's or the Trijicon HDs, and I'd love to hear any feedback from those that have them.

Thanks!
    The firing pin and firing pin block was re-designed in these pistols in 2004. They have been known to break, but the ones I know about doing so have been in high round count guns. So if you don't plan to shoot it much, you'll probably be okay. Still, if I were going to carry a pre-AE USPc; in any caliber; I'd put in the new parts. Its cheap insurance.

Why new/aftermarket magazine springs? I keep hearing about "the need" for these; utter nonsense. I have been carrying and shooting HK pistols, a lot, since 2004. My wife and I own a dozen of them between us. I still have two 8 round USPc .45 magazines, purchased in 2004, to supplement my first HK pistol. That particular pistol is long gone, but I've been using those two magazines as training mags ever since. Last year, I finally replaced the springs in them when I noticed that they were a full inch shorter than a newer spring out of a recently-purchased new magazine. But those 12+ year old mag springs were still working fine.

I don't have much experience with the polymer USPf magazines; but I have a whole bunch of HK45C, P2000 and USPc magazines (which are then same), and P30 magazines… which fit into the P2000 and USPc. They are all metal, and they are all bulletproof. Without doubt, the best magazines of ANY type/manufacturer I have ever seen. And I work in a crime lab, so I get to see just about every type of pistol out there. Buy Wolff mag springs if you feel you need to… but you don't.

Yes, the HK45C mag release is a most excellent addition. We have three USP Compacts and two P2000s; all have it.

Again, for a carry piece, I'd leave the main spring alone. Playing around with lighter main springs is fine for a gamer/recreational shooter; not so so smart for something you're counting on saving your butt.

The Trijicon HDs are simply outstanding. I have them on the two USP Compact 9mm pistols that I use heavily- one for carry, one for practice/training. I finally had to give up my treasured .45 cartridge and HK45C pistols: the cumulative recoil was getting to me. I'll be 65 next year, and all that mileage is really starting to show. Sucks large...

Anyway, the large, bright dot on the HD front sight means I can get a decent flash sight picture even with my deteriorating eyesight. And their registration is spot-on; they are a bit higher than stock HK sights, but equally so. You still get precise POA/POI at 25 yards; IOW, cover your intended POI with the front sight, and if you press the trigger properly that's where the bullet will hit. I have the green dots; brighter than the orange, IMO.

Requiescat in Pace

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Thank you. Do either of you know anything about a new-style sear catch? On the LEM kit description on HKPARTS, they mention that I'll need that new sear catch for installation of the LEM kit on USP variants. If I go the LEM route, I'm trying to figure out whether or not the LEM kit is all I'll need.

Just buy a current LEM kit. It has the correct parts.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    230 Post(s)

Not sure where you are getting the LEM kit from, but make sure it contains a new-style catch. The kit used to come with one a long time ago, but not anymore.

The LEM kit can also be purchased directly from HK Cust Svc and you can order the catch at the same time. Shop around.
    Last edited by TooSixy; 02-14-2016 at 02:36 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LSP 972 View Post
    Just buy a current LEM kit. It has the correct parts.

The current kit is minus the new-style sear catch, as HK no longer supplies it in the kit. Easy enough to order it as a separate part though. Thanks.
    Last edited by Richardca99; 02-14-2016 at 05:13 PM.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Location : North of one border South of another East and West of the others
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I have never had an issue with the extended mag releases that I installed on most of my HKs. The FS USP45 I did not install them on nor the polymer mag USPs. The remainder operate just fine.
    Congrats on the compact 357Sig. If I tripped over one at the right price, I'd have it in my collection as well.

Requiescat in Pace

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The current kit is minus the new-style sear catch, as HK no longer supplies it in the kit.
    Hmmm… didn't know that. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links