Training with a P30 V1 LEM (An on-going thread)
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Training with a P30 V1 LEM (An on-going thread)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Training with a P30 V1 LEM (An on-going thread)

Hey everyone,

I have recently begun carrying a P30 again after several years of a hiatus. I actually spent the last 3 years with a 1911 and over the summer, developed a bit of tendonitis. Not related to the 1911... at least not that I know of. I was just getting done polishing my car and my elbow started to act up and has been bothering me ever since. Except it allows me to shoot 9mm with little to no discomfort and, when carrying, having 16 rounds in the gun before a reload is way better than just 9.

In the spirit of "break my P2000," I felt I would start a thread about my trials, tribulations, strengths, and weaknesses with my P30 over the course of the next year while my 1911s take a break. The thread will be littered with photos, impressions, course reviews and so on. So sit back, relax, and enjoy the show.

Present round count: 982
    Holster: JM Custom Kydex for appendix carry
    Stoppages: None

Pics will follow tomorrow, along with an overview of the firearm for the first 900+ rounds, how it works for appendix carry, impressions and so on.

Why did I not choose to title this, "break my P30?" Well, I don't foresee this bad boy breaking anytime soon. But it is going to get a beating. And I didn't want it to get confused with the P2000 thread 😉

HKPRO Professional

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Can't wait to hear back from you!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well, as a P30S owner this should be a journey that I will be interested in following.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle93 View Post
    If it's going to be show, I expect a power point presentation with background music..... ;)
    Refreshments will be in the back as well! Hahaha!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Well, as a P30S owner this should be a journey that I will be interested in following.
    That avatar looks like a '67 Vette, sir. Good taste. I can't see things too clearly in the photo but I will put it as early as 1965 to cover my bases!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Bring it on!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle93 View Post
    If it's going to be show, I expect a power point presentation with background music..... ;)
    Or even better, lots of you tube videos.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So, the rundown:

As I said last night, I was heavy into 1911s and was running those for classes, competition, practice, and concealed carry. To me, the 1911 is the pinnacle of sidearms for me. I know, I know, it has limited # of boolits for capacity (but then again, so does the USP Compact .45 and the HK45C), and it's heavy and it takes tinkering to keep running and so on. That last bit of the statement is bullsh*t, by the way. So is the statement that "tight 1911s don't run well." I have a Les Baer, Springer Professional, and Wilson CQB that are my tight guns. One thing about me is I REALLY do not like to clean guns. The Baer is the tightest - I ran that thing close to 1,500 rounds without cleaning it. Just add a bit of oil on those and they run just fine.

Why does all of this matter? Because I intend on running my P30 in the same regard. We are at 982 rounds without cleaning.

Now, as you can see from above, there are scratches towards the muzzle. I am carrying in a JM Custom kydex holster for AIWB carry. While some internet "gurus" think this is just a fad, I would have to disagree. I've been carrying this way for close to 5 and a half years. For me (this isn't for everyone), it is the most comfortable and concealable method of carry compared to everything else I have tried. I have worn a 1911 for 18+ hours with little body fatigue - and I didn't have to keep pulling up my pants!

Over the last month and a half, I have worn the P30 for over 12 hours a day on some occasions and actually almost fell asleep with it on. Those scratches developed because of the screws used to hold the belt loop in place on the holster. I ordered the wrong loop originally and then obtained a replacement and the backing that came with the new loop straightened it out. A quick rub with the thumb wiped the "scratches" right off the gun. Speaking of it wiping right off the gun - I do love this HE finish. It's something I enjoyed when I had my P30 V3 years ago. And I am HARD on my guns.

So, why did I get rid of the P30 V3 a few years ago? On the sliding scale of off the shelf, out of the box triggers, I tried a P226 and it was the promised land for me. I then obtained a LEM, shot 200 rounds through it and found it wasn't for me (years ago). I stuck with the P226, divested myself of HKs, and then a few months later had the ability to pick up my first semi-custom 1911, and the rest is history.

Why not go back to the Sig? I want to take the dumb*ss out of the equation as much as possible now that I am going to be running the P30 for carry, training, and classes. What I mean is, when that booger hook comes off the trigger, all I need to do is put my thumb on the hammer as I am holstering. I don't have to worry about decocking the gun. I don't have to put the gun on safety in single action. The LEM is an added level of safety that gives me peace of mind. And to me, that's worth the added work of mastering the trigger whereas, a few years ago, I didn't give it a fair shake.

The Gun:
    The LEM: I love and hate this trigger. I love it for the added layer of safety. I love the longer take-up for the safety. I hate it because I came from a single action and it is a HUGE learning curve (for me). Even after close to a thousand rounds of live fire and, conservatively, another 2,000 reps of dry trigger presses. The best advice I ever received was not to stage the trigger but to roll right through that resistance "wall" right before the trigger break. It has helped a tremendous amount. I am comfortable with my accuracy and experience on the trigger to use it defensively and under stress if I absolutely have to (I pray I never have to). But, personally, I am not satisfied and know I can - and will - do better. And it all comes down to trigger mastery.

The Grips: All medium panels for me. I originally went with a large right panel because I have bear paws for hands. But I noticed that with how I was coming out of the holster, my grip was consistently pushing the muzzle to the left that I had to take efforts to clean up during my pressing the gun out to extension. I tried everything and then it occurred to me to change them back to medium all around. I didn't anticipate that the small tweak of the grip panel messed with me so bad. When I changed grips back, I haven't had a problem since. And that's since around the 200 round mark. AND! they may not be sticky enough for me. Over the next thousand rounds, I will be determining whether it needs grip tape.

Sights: Meprolights. I love the ledge on the rear sight. We all know the utility this provides. However, I would have enjoyed a contrasting front to rear sight. So I made my own. Two coats of white base, four of orange to top it. See here:

It makes the front sight WAY easier to acquire at speed.

Capacity: Awesome. I don't believe in the whole caliber debate. I carry 147 gr. rounds. I love the fact that I have 16 in the gun before reload compared to the 9 in the 1911. If I can put 2 rounds of 147 gr on target in the amount of time it takes to put one 230 gr. on target with a 1911, I just delivered 64 more grs! I only want the best for the target!

Mag changes: I will always need to work on mag changes. But this paddle, frame, and magazine design speak to me. And I am WAYYYY better with this gun than with any other. (Mag changes in the SIG were atrocious and I imagine would remain so). I have less fumbles and I am quicker to insert the magazine for the P30. As I get further into my training, I will post what the timer is telling me.

Classes: I am already signed up for Costa's HET1 course in October. And I am looking to sign up for another in may with Bob Vogel. I will update you all within the week as I will be making my decision this week. I will be on the range this weekend as well to get some solid fundamentals and accuracy in.

Overall: I will be getting into the shooter's aspect after I havemore trigger time this weekend. We know about the gun and how it will perform. I just need to figure out the guy behind the trigger. I am dedicating this year to the P30... and there may or may not be another P30 as a back-up. Not sure if it will be standard or the L. I do prefer a bigger gun with a longer sight radius. It will also be in LEM because uniformity.

Two more gratuitous photos!

Beer is a porter. The P30 goes well with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Following.
    HK P7M8
    HK USP Compact 9mmV1

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'll be attending a pistol class with Marine 0303 and will be using the same pistol as you, so I'll be following this thread with interest.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links