Vp9 poa/poi
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Vp9 poa/poi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Vp9 poa/poi

I have a new VP9 and I find it shooting a bit low and to the left. Yes, I am new at this. I placed a Laserlyte cartridge in the chamber and also check it with a foresight - When the iron sights are spot on, the laser (POI) is low. The stock sight cannot be adjusted for elevation, so what is going on? Must be operator error. Any thoughts?

Thanks

BTW - I love the gun! Glad I held out for HK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I had the same issue when I bought my VP9. Gun is fine, problem is proper triger control. Try a dry fire and observe how your gun behave when you squzze the triger (in my case the gun would move to the left slightly). Congrats on your purchase

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)

What is your sight picture? According to the manual, VP9 sight picture is #2, Center Mass Hold. I know, this is one of the two manuals that describes this particular sight picture from HK. It is usually Dead-On or Cover Hold (#3).

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Really liking this HK Stuff Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

99.99% chance it is you.

Are you right handed?

More than likely your middle and ring fingers are reflexively squeezing (low and left) as you press the trigger.

Try:

- Gripping the gun tight. No, tighter than that.
    - Dry fire 15 minutes of "wall drill" everyday. Focus on the front sight with the gun up against a white background.
    - Put a dime on the front of the slide and try to press the trigger straight back without having the dime fall off.
    - Adjust your trigger finger on the trigger, varying from the crease to the pad. Try different depths until you see the smallest sight movement
    - Experiment with the 27 different combinations of grip panels, to see which combination results in zero front sight movement.

Good luck!
    “Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.”
    - J.C. Watts Jr.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I do not put much trust in the bore sight lasers, they have their accuracy limitations.

Mark the top of it with a Sharpee, put it in so the mark is on the top and try. Then turn it upside down and try again. Is it pointing at the same spot?

To me they are just for a rough aiming. And you don't say by how much it is low.

And yes, shooting to the left and low is one of the VERY typical beginner mistake, so hopefully it will get better with practice. Concentrate on your Front Sight, not on trigger.

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jwsnyder View Post
    I have a new VP9 and I find it shooting a bit low and to the left. Yes, I am new at this. I placed a Laserlyte cartridge in the chamber and also check it with a foresight - When the iron sights are spot on, the laser (POI) is low. The stock sight cannot be adjusted for elevation, so what is going on? Must be operator error. Any thoughts?

Thanks

BTW - I love the gun! Glad I held out for HK

What you need to consider is there will always be an offset from the bore of a firearm to the sight whatever they be (irons, BUI's, red dots, scopes, etc.). Depending on how the sights are set up and the particular firearm you are using and also the distance at which the Point of Aim (POA) is being compared to the Point of Impact (POI), there will almost always be a variance.

In fact at most you are only going to have the POA & POI intersect at two distances. Conceivably they might never impact.

Is this a user error? No it's not. Just have to learn how the pistol is set up and either adjust off of that, or change the sights/equipment to suit what you want.

Really liking this HK Stuff Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I thought of one more thing to try.

Fire the gun off a rest.

If you can find a sandbag, or large soft covered object. Rest your forearms and steady up the sights. Then slowly press the trigger to the rear, all the while focusing on the front sight.

Shoot slowly (one round per minute) and rest in between shots.

Your 5- or 10-shot groups should be centered on point of aim.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
    99.99% chance it is you.

Are you right handed?

More than likely your middle and ring fingers are reflexively squeezing (low and left) as you press the trigger.

Try:

- Gripping the gun tight. No, tighter than that.
    - Dry fire 15 minutes of "wall drill" everyday. Focus on the front sight with the gun up against a white background.
    - Put a dime on the front of the slide and try to press the trigger straight back without having the dime fall off.
    - Adjust your trigger finger on the trigger, varying from the crease to the pad. Try different depths until you see the smallest sight movement
    - Experiment with the 27 different combinations of grip panels, to see which combination results in zero front sight movement.

Good luck!
    Use a snap cap! Hey its a tool take care of it....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I had issues with my P226 .40 when I first got it since it was my first Sig and first .40. This gun really forces me to focus on my fundamentals and I almost sold it because I couldn't shoot it as well as easily as I can with CZ's and Glocks. I really focused on my breathing and trigger control. I also noticed that my rear sight was off to the left just a hair so that wasn't helping. Once I realized this and focused on my fundamentals my groupings really improved so I decided to keep it.

Like others have said, snap caps, breathing, trigger squeeze, and patience.
    Me: USP Tactical 45, USP 9, P226 Extreme .40, 97B, & a G43
    Wife: LCR .38 Special Ltd. Talo edition, P238 Spartan

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TooSixy View Post
    What is your sight picture? According to the manual, VP9 sight picture is #2, Center Mass Hold. I know, this is one of the two manuals that describes this particular sight picture from HK. It is usually Dead-On or Cover Hold (#3).

As I don't own a vp series pistol, I find this interesting. Why did HK decide to "change it up"?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links