9mm P2000 V2 - Reasonable rapid fire interval goal
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 9mm P2000 V2 - Reasonable rapid fire interval goal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default 9mm P2000 V2 - Reasonable rapid fire interval goal

I have the subject handgun for SD/HD. I use my 9mm 1911 or steel challenge, but might do an occasional IDPA match with the HK. I'm finding the amount of concentration necessary to manage the HK trigger to actually benefit my 1911 shooting as I've come to realize how sloppy I've become in terms of driving the 1911 (e.g., too much reliance on a light trigger).

As I work to master the LEM trigger I'm doing some rapid fire drills, 8" plate at 7 yds. I'll fire 5 rounds from low ready and my interval is around .65 seconds average. Not sure what I'd do with the 1911, but it would be faster. What's a reasonable goal for this drill? I'd certainly like to get under .5 seconds.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Reasonable goal is shooting as fast as you can get 100% hits on plate. If you start to miss, slow down. Better speed will came with time.

Regarding absolute times, I've seen Eric Grauffel shooting short drill on match with his Open Division space age blaster. 4 papers, one small plate. All at about 10m. His splits were 0.3-0.35s. Same for target transitions.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Current: SFP9SD-SF, P2000SK, MR223A3 11.5"
    Past: P30L, P2000, P30, P7M13, Expert, G3 (MKE T41), HK45C, MR223 16.5"/14.5", SFP9-SF
    I'm sponsored competition shooter representing Heckler&Koch, Hornady, Khales & Typhoon Defence brands in Poland

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rdtompki View Post
    I have the subject handgun for SD/HD. I use my 9mm 1911 or steel challenge, but might do an occasional IDPA match with the HK. I'm finding the amount of concentration necessary to manage the HK trigger to actually benefit my 1911 shooting as I've come to realize how sloppy I've become in terms of driving the 1911 (e.g., too much reliance on a light trigger).

As I work to master the LEM trigger I'm doing some rapid fire drills, 8" plate at 7 yds. I'll fire 5 rounds from low ready and my interval is around .65 seconds average. Not sure what I'd do with the 1911, but it would be faster. What's a reasonable goal for this drill? I'd certainly like to get under .5 seconds.
    This is one of the best posts I've seen on this forum in a while . You're actually getting something out of the HK trigger the way it was designed ( combat application/LE usually ) and using it to improve your overall trigger control . Like Montrala says keep practicing , it keeps getting better ! Cheers !
    NRA Certified RSO

Be where your feet are

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I recorded some split times on some FAST drills, Bill drills and Failure drills using a P30SK LEM V1 and my "custom" VP9 compact (chopped grip no trigger work). I am middle to top third in our local IDPA style matches WAY behind the studs!

pistol-training.com » F.A.S.T. (Fundamentals, Accuracy, & Speed Test)

pistol-training.com » Bill Drill

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozambique_Drill

P30SK split times on follow-up shots to the same target area (ie body-body) are around the 0.3-0.35 second mark. Follow up splits when changing targets (ie head to body or vice versa) were closer to 0.5 seconds.

For the VP9 which has a shorter reset I can consistently get same target splits sub 0.3 with some as quick as 0.2 seconds but my transition to new target splits stay around 0.5 seconds.

With my Walther PPQ which I think may have the shortest reset (feels shorter than glocks to me) I'm sure I could get them even faster.

I have occasionally short stroked the LEM trigger after shooting striker fired guns.

My FAST drill times are more along the 7-9 second range. These people are amazing! http://pistol-training.com/fastest

In competitions it seems like reload times and to a lesser extent draw make a HUGE difference between the best and the rest.
    Last edited by ajbirken; 03-01-2016 at 01:05 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Not a pro- but here's one of my times and target from working a P2K with lite LEM from concealment. I'm getting better, but still working on learning the LEM, this was 1 to the body, 1 to the head at 7 yards:

Normally my splits are really dependent on distance to, and between tgts. My fastest times are on average with one of my Les Baers, then PPQ, then VP9 finally my HKs.

Chuck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1.03 from concealment? Draw shoot shoot? That's fantastic time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by overhung View Post
    1.03 from concealment? Draw shoot shoot? That's fantastic time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Keep in mind, that was my best that day......normally I'm right at 1.1 or so open carry and about 1.3-1.5 concealed depending on the garment. This happened to be a simple sweatshirt with a Kydex IWB at 3:30.

Chuck

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

For self-defense, one can probably argue that splits in the 0.2 second range is probably the fastest that one should go to begin with, as a person's decision making capabilities probably max out there to begin with; having 0.15 splits is sexy as Hell in a competition, but can one make a shoot/no-shoot decision in that space of time?

I'll also note, the FAST is not the best metric for self-defense shooting, if only because the reload weighs so heavily in the scoring. It's a damn good test of overall pistol manipulation skills, but reloads are of relatively minor importance for practical self-defense.
    Hidden Content

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得 箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CFRHunter View Post
    Keep in mind, that was my best that day......normally I'm right at 1.1 or so open carry and about 1.3-1.5 concealed depending on the garment. This happened to be a simple sweatshirt with a Kydex IWB at 3:30.

Chuck

Still a smokingly fast time from concealment Chuck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GZire View Post
    Still a smokingly fast time from concealment Chuck.
    Thanks, I've been working on it with a par timer and a LaserLyte cartridge....it's getting there. This IS smoking fast:

Chuck

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links