Larry Vickers states VP9 one of his favorite rigs on Facebook page - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Larry Vickers states VP9 one of his favorite rigs on Facebook page

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trob09 View Post
    I shot Larry's VP9 in a class and was able to compare it to an unmodified VP9 that another student brought to the class.
    See, I thought the opposite when I shot his VP9. Granted, my basis of comparison were my personal VP9's..each of which had a minimum of 3k rounds each through them at that time. While one of my VP's initially feel as good as the others in the beginning, a few thousand rounds have made it indistinguishable from the others.

If I had to make an apt comparison, I would say the GGI/Holm upgrade is akin to that of the ACT ALG internals vs. a quality milspec group. While there is no doubt the the GGI/ALG is much better out of the gate, a seasoned VP9/milspec will eventually break in and can be pretty darn close to it's "worked-over" brother. The value of the marginal differences varies from person to person. And in the end I'll bet you the LAV didn't have to pay dime 1 for that job other than agreeing to put out a good word.

Personally, I wouldn't read too much into this as that post reads more like a shill for his $200-300 rigs endorsed by a guy who really doesn't do CCW.
    Last edited by dms16; 03-10-2016 at 07:53 PM.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dms16 View Post
    See, I thought the opposite when I shot his VP9. Granted, my basis of comparison were my personal VP9's..each of which had a minimum of 3k rounds each through them at that time. While one of my VP's initially feel as good as the others in the beginning, a few thousand rounds have made it indistinguishable from the others.

If I had to make an apt comparison, I would say the GGI/Holm upgrade is akin to that of the ACT ALG internals vs. a quality milspec group. While there is no doubt the the GGI/ALG is much better out of the gate, a seasoned VP9/milspec will eventually break in and can be pretty darn close to it's "worked-over" brother. The value of the marginal differences varies from person to person. And in the end I'll bet you the LAV didn't have to pay dime 1 for that job other than agreeing to put out a good word.

Personally, I wouldn't read too much into this as that post reads more like a shill for his $200-300 rigs endorsed by a guy who really doesn't do CCW.
    Wow...

I have 4,740 rounds thru my VP9 and there is a pronounced non-linearity in that trigger that when shooting for tight groups is unmistakable and I'm working around it. No amount of "break in" will alter that trigger.

"A guy who really doesn't carry"?

I take it that you have no f'n clue about Larry...

But to each his or her own I guess.

-------------------------------------
    "One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep."
    "Buy once, cry once; or not. Let's be honest for a second; most of you will be zombies one day and I'd much prefer you be zombies with crap weaponry."

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chui View Post
    Wow

"A guy who really doesn't carry"?

I take it that you have no f'n clue about Larry...
    His friends and peers are the ones noting he doesn't carry concealed much if at all. Why should I swoon over his signature carry rig?
    The man in question has untold heaps of my money as his contributions and expertise in some areas are unparalleled, but his job now is business...and he does it well. This post, your reply and the buzz he creates are proof of that.

Sorry bout your trigger woes. Maybe you should nitride it....that cures everything.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Larry Vickers states VP9 one of his favorite rigs on Facebook page

His friends and peers are the ones noting he doesn't carry concealed much if at all. Why should I swoon over his signature carry rig?
    The man in question has untold heaps of my money as his contributions and expertise in some areas are unparalleled, but his job now is business...and he does it well. This post, your reply and the buzz he creates are proof of that.

Sorry bout your trigger woes. Maybe you should nitride it....that cures everything.
    Have you asked him if he carries? There may be more to "what they say" than meets the eye...

His income has zero to do with an evaluation. I could not care less how much money he has earned. You seem to put a lot of emphasis on this. Either you or I can afford it or we cannot. Nothing new to me. Whether you feel it's worth it is subjective. So my post does not prove much of anything.

Well, if you pitifully believe nitriding will assist please have yours done and report back your findings...

-------------------------------------
    "One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep."
    Last edited by Chui; 03-11-2016 at 10:23 PM.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

as mentioned in my previous post, I'd had mine modified because I wanted to and I could. The stock trigger is more than serviceable, but I did notice a difference - a difference I liked. I replaced the trigger in my MR556 for the very same reason - I liked the feel of the aftermarket trigger better than the stock trigger. If anyone chooses not to have their trigger modified or thinks I am a sucker for doing so, it is their prerogative. Would my stock VP9 and MR556 have eventually broken in to have the same feel as the worked over versions? Perhaps, but it is no longer possible to know empirically.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chui View Post
    So my post does not prove much of anything.

...No argument on that point.

And yes, I've asked questions on that matter, I tend to ask a few questions to clarify his implications in other forms of media. It's very interesting hearing how he "dresses" shall we say some things up for mainstream but is blunt as a spoon when it's just a 15-16 people around...

Like you said, more than meets the eye, and it isn't hard to read between the lines...
    Last edited by dms16; 03-11-2016 at 03:04 AM.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trob09 View Post
    as mentioned in my previous post, I'd had mine modified because I wanted to and I could. The stock trigger is more than serviceable, but I did notice a difference - a difference I liked. I replaced the trigger in my MR556 for the very same reason - I liked the feel of the aftermarket trigger better than the stock trigger. If anyone chooses not to have their trigger modified or thinks I am a sucker for doing so, it is their prerogative. Would my stock VP9 and MR556 have eventually broken in to have the same feel as the worked over versions? Perhaps, but it is no longer possible to know empirically.
    Hey, I've got $400+ Geissele's in multiple guns...cause that's how I likes it... Are the margins worth it? That's for each one to find out...Econ 101 "Utils for trigger pull"

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Hey, I've got $400+ Geissele's in multiple guns...cause that's how I likes it... Are the margins worth it? That's for each one to find out...Econ 101 "Utils for trigger pull"
    The "is it worth it" question will have a different answer from each person - and probably for reasons that go beyond the smoothness of the trigger. It may also be worth noting that 'smoothing' is not the only thing that happens with GGI/Holm work on the trigger - it also includes the elimination of trigger over travel and a reduced and more positive reset (to my feel). Neither of those is going to happen by simply sending lead downrange.

Again, is the juice worth the squeeze? that is up to each individual to decide. Some people like the elimination of over travel, some don't care. Some people like the reduced reset, some don't care.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Not to beat a dead horse but I sent in my previous VP9 skeptically to see what the big deal was and if there was any truth to all this hype. I ended up paying around $450 through Gray Guns after shipping there and back. To be honest, I felt that a now $1,100 VP9 was a bit much so I sold it with the intent of getting my money back on the trigger and picking up another VP9 leaving it stock and just putting the extra 450 towards a P30. I am now honestly contemplating sending both guns back in now to Rick. Is the trigger job by itself worth it? Yes. Is it worth it after the added $150 in shipping? I dont think so but I will say if you do send in your gun, you wont want to go back to the stock triggers in your HKs again.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

For 99% of people the investment does not justified the marginal difference. Just shoot the damn thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sponsored Links