Half way there to a 10mm USP
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Half way there to a 10mm USP

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Default Half way there to a 10mm USP

Shout out to @lifesizepotato for making me get off my ass and start my build.

Hopefully will be shootin 10mm soon

So far i picked up a usp 40, my recoil spring is on its way to my house, and im 75% done with the mags i think.

I decided to try hk45 mags (sadly hk45c mags are a tad too short) instead of sti mags. Today i shot 40sw with the mags. Below is a miny write up on how its going so far. Next step, get a 2nd 40sw barrerl to get the work done

Still yas a 40sw barrel. But i was able to borrow an HK45 mag from a friend.
    It holds 16 rounds of 10mm!

That also means it hold 16 rounds of 40sw. And yes i tested it today. 2 mags with three malfunction 2 malfunctions were the last round open failed (an easy fix with a dremmer to make the slide catch not rub the mag) and the last round in the first mag flipped up and not into barrel. I think this is due to how short the 40 was compared to the mag and also limp wristing with one hand as i tried to video record myself while doing so. I think with proper length 10mm and stance will have no issues.

Now the hk45 mag does fit, but so snug it isnt drop free. (Not sure how drop free STI mags are) For me that is not an issue but other it might be. I also found eaa witness 10mm mags with the magwell so could easily be modifiedand cheaper than sti mags. Ive also found out that usp full size base plates fit the hk45 mags. This means jetfunnel base plates fit them as welll. This is good news as the hk45 mags stick out just a tad bit more than jet funnel mags. Meaning a jetfunnel kit is more than likely to work. The only thing im not sure of if i will be able to pull the mags out with the jetfunnel magwell.
    But i think Taylor freelance +3 baseplate will allow me to pull them out and prob give me +4 or 5 in 10mm making it a 20 or 21+1 pistol with a slightly extended magwell. I will also be purchasing an elephant foot and trimming to fit without use of a jetfunnel kit for those who choose to go semi flush over a slightly extended option.

So far i think things are going smooth.
    Hope my update was as exciting for yous as it was for myself.

Will post again soon. Feel free to ask any questions

bp1 likes this.
    si vis pacem para bellum

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Sounds like you're well on your way! Interesting approach on the magazines. Hopefully you can figure something out that looks a bit more factory than my setup, though the STI mag that I'm using drops free really nicely, like stock. I just put another 100 rounds through my gun over the weekend with no issues, although I don't count the failure to hold the slide open as an issue. Even tried some 155gr Hornady with zero malfunctions. The gun handles it beautifully and is super fun with the 10mm cartridge.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lifesizepotato View Post
    Sounds like you're well on your way! Interesting approach on the magazines. Hopefully you can figure something out that looks a bit more factory than my setup, though the STI mag that I'm using drops free really nicely, like stock. I just put another 100 rounds through my gun over the weekend with no issues, although I don't count the failure to hold the slide open as an issue. Even tried some 155gr Hornady with zero malfunctions. The gun handles it beautifully and is super fun with the 10mm cartridge.
    Awesome. Good to hear. Im lookin at gettin a 6" barrel for mine. I love underwood ammo. Hoping to out do my my glock

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Are you going to put a faux Match weight on the end to go with the longer barrel? I thought about doing that with mine but almost all of my USPs have some sort of muzzle attachment and I was hoping to keep the original lines on this one.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Possibly depending how bad the barrel looks/feels.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Has anybody tried a 10mm conversion on a P30/P30L yet?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Knuckledragger1968 View Post
    Has anybody tried a 10mm conversion on a P30/P30L yet?
    Dont think so.. the usp has a large enough magwell. The p30/vp40 has a smaller magwell and wont fit standard lenth 10mm

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    234 Post(s)

Interesting project--- keep us updated, with pics!!!

Tony

Desperately Needs Treatment

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Will the frame be able to handle full power 10mm without eventually cracking? That's the one thing I would be concerned about. Standard low power bulk 10mm might be fine.
    MP5SD SW clone SBR with TPM SD can
    MP5 Coharie clone SBR with AAC Striker II can
    MP5-40 Vector clone SBR
    HK45 with Sico Osprey 45 can
    USP40
    VP9
    VP40
    Many Many more non HK firearms

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sluggie24 View Post
    Will the frame be able to handle full power 10mm without eventually cracking? That's the one thing I would be concerned about. Standard low power bulk 10mm might be fine.
    Yes, it will handle it just as well if not better than a glock 20. I will be using a 20# recoil spring, and the usp has the dual spring rod. Thrn on top of that the slide is heavier than a glock along with extra resistance from hammer, it will be softer than a glock 20 by far. Figure the usp9 (with a lighter slide) is rated to withstand 30k+ 9mm+p @ 38.5k psi. The max pressure of 10mm is 37.5k. That being said ill prob never gt 30k through mine, esp full power loads. Im sure it will do great

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links