P30L good for house gun? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: P30L good for house gun?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Trigger modifications are a contentious issue. With so many good triggers coming on factory pistols now I see little need for them. Excellent triggers can be had on the HK VP 9, HK VP 40, HK P 30 V 1, the old standby 1911, the Walther PPQ, the Steyr pistol and the TP Canik.
    Best to leave the trigger alone on a handgun used for defensive purposes. I still believe the reason you press the trigger is more important than the trigger you press. But that is me.

YVK
    Desperately Needs Treatment

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

You're making a mistake by passing on this gun.
    First, of course GGI will tell you that their comp trigger job is for competition only. It is called liability. They market it as a competition, they don't know who you are, they don't want a headache if you shot somebody accidentally and said they had told it was OK. They may have their own philosophic position on this and other issues that others may or may not share. As an example, Bruce Gray has spoken publicly against appendix carry as an unsafe method many times and there are a lot no less switched-on people who have an opposite opinion.
    The linked article is a good example of unsupported noise on this subject. That any aspect, including gun modifications, can and will be explored in civil tort should be presumed apriori. In that sense, the article is a statement of obvious. What's missing is an evidence where any aftermarket modifications were a cardinal reason or even supporting evidence for an unfavorable verdict. More so, the discussion below showed a legal example where aftermarket trigger was attempted to be exploited and failed.
    Your primary responsibility is to assure that the shooting is legal. Your second responsibility is to assure that you hit what was intended to be hit and good trigger helps. You third responsibility is to hire a competent attorney regardless how you well the fist two things worked out.
    There is no industry standard on how light the defensive trigger should be. Head out to a Wilson Combat website and look at their line-up of 1911s designed for carry and duty. CQB, Tactical, what have you. They come with trigger weights starting at 3.5 lbs and effectively no takeup, especially comparing to LEM. Including models endorsed by and named after Ken Hackathorn and Larry Vickers, two of the most recognizable defensive pistols instructors.
    Besides, who says you can't use a competition gun for home defense? I have a purpose built competition-only Tanfoglio with 2.5 lbs trigger but if this is the gun that's closest to me when bad guys are breaking in, rest assured I am not going to go digging into my safe for a street-legal gun. Go shoot a couple of matches for a supporting evidence of being a competitive shooter and don't lose sleep. Don't buy into bullshit.
    Last edited by YVK; 03-10-2016 at 03:39 AM.

HKPRO Professional

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Right on YVK!
    If you are in a position where deadly force must be used. Doesn't matter if you use a claw hammer or baseball bat.
    Now if you had a ND and hit someone an innocent bystander, could be a problem.

All I got from the article is a whole lot of maybe. ....might....could.

Been in this situation, they checked ballistics and compared fired rounds from other officers weapons. The talk of "trigger pull weight " never came up. Cleared and released from further liability /persecution. Employers won the civil case.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How much is the reasonable price? IMO it would be fine for a home/range gun.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by echoR00t View Post
    All you need to do is raise the trigger pull weight up, that is a hammer spring you can change out in a couple minutes. What makes that a competition trigger and not a duty is just the trigger weight. Get it above 4 and you're fine.
    i would do this in a heartbeat
    or if you don't get it, at least let one of us get it "at a reasonable price"
    :)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

since I live in the non free state MA..what I consider reasonable might be outrageous for you free folk....but the price he offered me is basically $50 more than I can get the gun new for ..and it has Dawson FO sights and the Gray gun trigger work...

YVK

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

That's about $500 less than what you would've paid to get this all done if you started with a stock gun, and no wait, for arguably the most shootable LEM gun there is...
    Last edited by YVK; 03-10-2016 at 02:03 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    That's about $500 less than what you would've paid to get this all done if you started with a stock gun, and no wait, for arguably the most shootable LEM gun there is...
    the wait is killer ...he said his gun was gone 16 weeks

YVK

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

The most recent waits at GGI have been half year although with Rick Holm branching out the whole waiting situation supposedly is not the same. 16 weeks means that the job was done at least two years ago. It is a killer price though. I have 3 GGI LEMs with competition jobs (all carried concealed and used as a home gun, btw) so I don't need another one, otherwise I would've been jealous at your opportunity.
    Last edited by YVK; 03-10-2016 at 03:14 PM.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would jump on it for that price. You can always get another HK for home defense usage.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links