VP40 sight adjustments?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: VP40 sight adjustments?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default VP40 sight adjustments?

I recently purchased a new VP40, and I absolutely love it. Shot it for the first time today. I'm a lifelong shooter, but 95% of my experience is shooting rifles and shotguns. My goal for the summer is to become proficient (or relatively proficient) with a handgun (hence, the new VP40). Today I was able to keep 4 mag's worth of ammo in a +/- 4" group from 25 yards. I'm sure most of you shoot better than that, but I was pretty happy, and I know over time that will improve. The only problem is the group is 6-7 inches to the left. I'm wondering if I can adjust the sights on my VP40? Also wondering if it's in my grip? I shoot rifles long distance, and I know I had a nice slow, consistent trigger pull. So, I don't think it's that. I'll listen to any advice on adjusting the sights and or issues with grip that could cause this. Thanks.

Teufelshund Tactical
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)

Sight manipulation can be done with a hammer and punch or sight pusher.
    Take a look at my website, linked below my signature and here in my vendor section: Teufelshund Tactical
    I'll be happy to help you with the sight work or firearms training.
    SF,

James

Heckler and Koch Certified Armorer (Heckler and Koch)
    Heckler and Koch Pistol, Submachine Gun and Rifle Instructor (Singleton International)

Owner, Teufelshund Tactical

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the quick response. I'm questioning if it's the sights or if it's me. I have little handgun experience, but tons or rifle experience. When I'm sighting in a rifle, and I shoot a tight group 4" left, I know I need to make a scope adjustment. What I saw on the target today is telling me to adjust the sights. However, my inexperience with handgun shooting leaves me uncertain if is should. Maybe I'm doing something that is causing me to pull left? Any suggestions on grip/stance before I adjust sights? Becoming more proficient with a handgun is my summer project.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I just checked out teufelshundtactical website. As awesome as it would be to attend one of your trainings, I (unfortunately) don't get to Florida or North Carolina very often. I'm assuming you probably don't do many trainings in Vermont? That being said, do you have any videos available?

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny5 View Post
    I recently purchased a new VP40, and I absolutely love it. Shot it for the first time today. I'm a lifelong shooter, but 95% of my experience is shooting rifles and shotguns. My goal for the summer is to become proficient (or relatively proficient) with a handgun (hence, the new VP40). Today I was able to keep 4 mag's worth of ammo in a +/- 4" group from 25 yards. I'm sure most of you shoot better than that, but I was pretty happy, and I know over time that will improve. The only problem is the group is 6-7 inches to the left. I'm wondering if I can adjust the sights on my VP40? Also wondering if it's in my grip? I shoot rifles long distance, and I know I had a nice slow, consistent trigger pull. So, I don't think it's that. I'll listen to any advice on adjusting the sights and or issues with grip that could cause this. Thanks.
    Does the rear and front look centered? Can you please provide pics?
    H&K Sponsored Shooter (novice so don't get excited I'm awesome)
    VP9
    VP40
    P30sk v4.1
    P30 .40 v4.1 (GGI)
    Hk45c V7- medium (GGI)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes, they do look centered. That's why I'm hesitant to move them. Thinking it could be me, but not sure what I could be doing to be so consistently left. Knowing that consistency is a key component in accuracy, from my rifle shooting experience, I was very consistent in my stance, grip, sight picture, sight allignment, trigger pull, follow through........... I think I'm realistic in my expectations of shooting handguns. This new VP40 is far more accurate than my ability to shoot it, and I know my accuracy will improve. I have no problems with adjusting my sights, I just don't want to adjust them on day one if it is something I am doing to cause a left of center grouping.

Teufelshund Tactical
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)

It is impossible to diagnose your issue through a web post alone. It could be your sights or it could be you. Most often, it is the latter.
    In my training, the trend is that shooters realize that what they thought was the right set of shooting fundamentals was actually incorrect; violations of body mechanics, stress, lack of friction and leverage, eyes and sights, incorrect position...
    Without having your weapon or yourself in front of me, I would suggest starting very close to the target, as shooting from 25m will just serve as a frustration. Shoot at 3, 5 and 7m, focusing on extreme accuracy. If you can, set up a supported position at those distances. That will help you diagnose, if it is you or the sights.
    Not trying to talk up my own training, as their are several great training courses out there to choose from (and many not worth the effort), but great training is crucial in improving your shooting ability. Having an instructor(s) to help you diagnose what is and is not working with you and your chosen firearm, and assists you in rebuilding your foundation, from the ground up, is key.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There's another possibility to consider, in addition to what the others have mentioned: The size of the backstrap and the side panels. Your shooting to the left may be an indication of the backstrap in particular possibly being too large; try removing it by punching out the retaining roll-pin and replacing with the Small included backstrap. Then you can fine-tune things by experimenting with various combinations of the grip panels. I'd suggest that a good starting point would be to go with the Small backstrap and the Small side panels.

As mentioned by a member previously, a good test is to choose a visible target, place the pistol in a low-ready position, close your eyes, and then, with eyes still closed, press out the pistol out to the target; open your eyes and see where the front sight is vertically; if the front sight is to low, install a larger backstrap; if it's too high, install a smaller backstrap. Then switch to playing with the side panels; I'd suggest starting with "like" panels ( e.e., Small Left, Small Right) first, and then fine-tune them to you-for example, for me, I've found that the best combination to date is with the Small backstrap, Small Left panel, and Medium Right panel-FWIW, I'm right-handed, and left-eye dominant.

After you're finished with your experimentation and have decided on your best initial backstrap/panel configuration, remember to replace the retaining roll-pin.

Try this with the various backstraps to determine which one provides you with the best, most instinctive index.

And the better your shooting fundamentals with a pistol, the better the viability of the results.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by [email protected]; 03-28-2016 at 04:33 PM.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default VP40 sight adjustments?

I won't dare contradict Marine, because he's far better educated than I in these matters.
    I had this problem with my USP, it was my grip; I was rolling my wrist forward to compensate for short fingers.

So yeah, what he said start close, get on target and walk it back. It's not the sights. You have the luxury on your VP40 of changing out grip panels to make it fit better. You could also do some dry-fire practice observing how the gun moves when you squeeze the trigger.

Mastering my USP has made me a far better pistol shooter overall, it still takes lots of discipline on my part to shoot it well, but it's so worth it.

Typoed on my iPhone
    Last edited by brutetc; 03-27-2016 at 04:41 PM.
    USP 9F Tactical Clone
    S&W 4006
    Browning Hi-Power 9mm 75th Anniversary Edition
    VP9
    USPc 9mm
    Savage Axxis .308/Remington 700 ADL 7mm Magnum

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Being off with your rifle and pistol makes me wonder if you are shooting with your non dominant eye. If so there is an easy fix.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links