Is the h&k 45c a good conceal carry weapon ? - Page 5
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 100

Thread: Is the h&k 45c a good conceal carry weapon ?

  1. #41
    Requiescat in Pace

    Join Date : Jul 2006
    Age : 67
    Posts : 2,183
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    You must be an engineer (the author of post #39).

    While none of your data is actually wrong (that I can tell), you're missing the whole point. Which is, the HK45C fulfills two niches…

    1. For the guy who wants a big bullet, doan want no steenkin' .40 nor no steenkin' EuroPellet, yet wants a "modern" type pistol that carries easily and shoots like a house on fire… the HK45C is unsurpassed in that area

    2. For the guys trapped behind enemy lines, having to deal with magazine limits… even if they think the EuroPellet is "equal" to the 9mm, the smart ones will go for the bigger bullet

    .
    Last edited by LSP 972; 05-02-2016 at 01:08 AM. Reason: Added thought

  2. #42
    Junior Member

    Join Date : Feb 2016
    Posts : 80
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dms16 View Post
    I'm going to rustle some jimmies here...

    I actually fine the 45C to be a poor carry gun and here's why:

    - First, the size vs. payload is rather poor 8+1. True, 10 round mags are possible, but they come at the added cost of bulk and profile. The 45C is a larger profile than the P2000 but carries only 64% of the capacity. This skews further with each additional magazine. TL;DR: fewer rounds for more bulk

    - Second is modularity. While I don't often have a mounted light on my carry, it is part of my second line gear and an available accessory in my vehicle. It's widely known that the illumination options for the 45C are extremely limited. It can't even take the XC1 :(

    - Third (and this pales in comparison to the above) is the grip. I find that most most polymer pistols with flat sided grips (Glock, 45C, USP) need additional texture for positive grip. Stippling and skateboard tape is great and all, but it can be a pain for clothes and skin. Meanwhile, slick plastic is easy to carry, but not the best for performance


    Don't get me wrong, the 45C is a GREAT pistol, but when comparing the logistics of carrying one versus EVERYTHING else available, it comes up short in more than a few categories.
    8+1 isn't that bad of a deal especially if you carry a spare mag with you.

    I also modified one of my TLR-1HL's to fit perfectly on my 45c hence making it a dual purpose firearm for both carry concealed and OWB.

    I also forgot to mention that if you do this to your HK45c it will fit most holsters that take an HK USP full-size with TRL-1.
    Last edited by Gman556; 05-02-2016 at 03:49 AM.

  3. #43
    Desperately Needs Treatment
    dms16's Avatar
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    Posts : 1,631
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LSP 972 View Post
    You must be an engineer (the author of post #39).

    While none of your data is actually wrong (that I can tell), you're missing the whole point.

    .
    No, I figured this concealed carry thing out a while ago, and I'm explaining why I came to the conclusion that a nearly duty sized 45acp "compact" was a poor choice for me(and likely some others). I see that you came from the era of LE (assuming you're retired or about to retire) that spewed a lot of the poisonous dogma we're having to help this generation unlearn. But hey, that's only if we're going to make gross assumptions about the other person...I wouldn't do such a thing ;).

    If FMJ and 10 rounds are all that a state allows, you bet a .45acp compact is a strong candidate and the 45C is the champ. But when one has an open selection and a choice, I question the value of a 45acp compact platform, by extension that includes the 45C.

    I may be wrong, but I have little doubt that's why you see a high volume of 45C's in the sale boards. Ask admin "Carrots", I've seen him buy and sell a 45C more than a few times. I know I'm not alone in having them come and go out of my collection based on the idea that "It's a great gun, I should have this" which after a few months comes back to "I only shoot my bigger 45's on the range, and never carry this thing...I should sell it".

  4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #44
    HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Jim234's Avatar
    Join Date : Feb 2010
    Location : Texas
    Posts : 508
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dms16 View Post
    I see that you came from the era of LE (assuming you're retired or about to retire) that spewed a lot of the poisonous dogma we're having to help this generation unlearn. But hey, that's only if we're going to make gross assumptions about the other person...I wouldn't do such a thing ;). .
    Would you mind expanding on that thought just a bit as I'm genuinely interested in what the dogma that you are talking about is, I'd appreciate it.


    As to the question at hand, I have both the HK45C and the HK45. I currently carry the HK45C in a bag and a LCR in my pocket. However I carry a bunch of 10 round magazines for it. To be perfectly honest, I'll probably change to bag carrying a HK45 or HK45T somewhere along the way as I find that the grip on the HK45C being a bit more "slippery" as it were, means I shoot it a bit less well than the HK45 which is amazing to shoot.
    The main thing the 9mm and .40 have on the .45 is capacity and ease of carrying more ammo, but if you are in a capacity restricted state then most of the advantages go away, then if you live in a really crazy state like NJ where you can't have hollow points... well 10 rounds of FMJ .45 usually beats 10 rounds of 9mm or .40 (.45 Super or 10mm would be even better).

    One of the guys had some pictures of a project they were doing of putting a HK45C upper on a HK45 frame... now that would be a great option.
    Gloria Dei est vivens homo.

  6. #45
    Senior Member

    Join Date : Jun 2015
    Posts : 191
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dms16 View Post
    I'm going to rustle some jimmies here...

    I actually fine the 45C to be a poor carry gun and here's why:

    - First, the size vs. payload is rather poor 8+1. True, 10 round mags are possible, but they come at the added cost of bulk and profile. The 45C is a larger profile than the P2000 but carries only 64% of the capacity. This skews further with each additional magazine. TL;DR: fewer rounds for more bulk

    - Second is modularity. While I don't often have a mounted light on my carry, it is part of my second line gear and an available accessory in my vehicle. It's widely known that the illumination options for the 45C are extremely limited. It can't even take the XC1 :(

    - Third (and this pales in comparison to the above) is the grip. I find that most most polymer pistols with flat sided grips (Glock, 45C, USP) need additional texture for positive grip. Stippling and skateboard tape is great and all, but it can be a pain for clothes and skin. Meanwhile, slick plastic is easy to carry, but not the best for performance


    Don't get me wrong, the 45C is a GREAT pistol, but when comparing the logistics of carrying one versus EVERYTHING else available, it comes up short in more than a few categories.
    I've been reading this board for a while now and there seems to be an almost cult following of people who think the HK45C is the greatest concealed-carry pistol ever. I've been lurking patiently for over a year on this subject, off and on, holding my tongue thus far in threads about it, in hopes that someone would explain the appeal and logically outline the reasons why they feel more comfortable with 8+1 rounds of .45 instead of 13+1 of 9mm in, for example, a gun like the similarly-styled P2000, but it's like this pistol is the Emperor's New Clothes. Everybody seems to just be infatuated with how great everyone else says that it is, and no one wants to bring up the fact that it has the same freaking capacity as a 1911. Don't get me wrong, I'm not here to start a caliber war - there's always the Glock 30, which I'm pretty sure is a smaller compact .45 than the HK45C, and holds 2 more rounds in the magazine - but that's another factor, isn't it? It seems that a lot of the biggest proponents of the HK45C are the strongest adherents to the faith of "bigger holes = deader badguys."

    I have no doubt that the HK45C is a good gun, but I agree with you that it's an extremely dubious choice for a CCW, given the other options out there, even among HK's pistols. At this point, I am convinced that the sole reason for its popularity as a CCW, on this board at least, has to do with it being exalted, either unintentionally or on purpose, in the caliber religion of .45 ACP.

  7. #46
    Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Defaultmp3's Avatar
    Join Date : Apr 2008
    Location : AZ
    Posts : 509
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim234 View Post
    The main thing the 9mm and .40 have on the .45 is capacity and ease of carrying more ammo, but if you are in a capacity restricted state then most of the advantages go away, then if you live in a really crazy state like NJ where you can't have hollow points... well 10 rounds of FMJ .45 usually beats 10 rounds of 9mm or .40 (.45 Super or 10mm would be even better).
    Splits and one-handed shooting with 9mm Para may still trump .45 ACP even if both are limited to 10 rounds per mag. More mundane matters of cost of ammo for practicing is also a factor. So even factoring in capacity restrictions and/or bullet restrictions, .45 ACP still isn't a clear-cut winner.

    In terms of concealed carry, it's all in how hard you're willing to work; I'm 5'8", 140 lbs., and I conceal carry a P30LS with an X400U, RMR, and +5 base plates while wearing 30" slim fit jeans and size small t-shirts. Yes, a P30SK or S&W Shield or HK45C would all be easier, but that doesn't mean the P30LS is not doable.
    Hidden Content

    老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得 箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

  8. #47
    Very Senior Member
    Militant's Avatar
    Join Date : Feb 2016
    Posts : 246
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by S404 View Post
    I've been reading this board for a while now and there seems to be an almost cult following of people who think the HK45C is the greatest concealed-carry pistol ever. I've been lurking patiently for over a year on this subject, off and on, holding my tongue thus far in threads about it, in hopes that someone would explain the appeal and logically outline the reasons why they feel more comfortable with 8+1 rounds of .45 instead of 13+1 of 9mm in, for example, a gun like the similarly-styled P2000, but it's like this pistol is the Emperor's New Clothes. Everybody seems to just be infatuated with how great everyone else says that it is, and no one wants to bring up the fact that it has the same freaking capacity as a 1911. Don't get me wrong, I'm not here to start a caliber war - there's always the Glock 30, which I'm pretty sure is a smaller compact .45 than the HK45C, and holds 2 more rounds in the magazine - but that's another factor, isn't it? It seems that a lot of the biggest proponents of the HK45C are the strongest adherents to the faith of "bigger holes = deader badguys."

    I have no doubt that the HK45C is a good gun, but I agree with you that it's an extremely dubious choice for a CCW, given the other options out there, even among HK's pistols. At this point, I am convinced that the sole reason for its popularity as a CCW, on this board at least, has to do with it being exalted, either unintentionally or on purpose, in the caliber religion of .45 ACP.
    I'll chime in for you.

    I have the HK45C and absolutely love it for my CCW. And, my HKP30SK with my HKVP9's 15 round magazine to make it a 15+1 capacity (in my smaller gun) also serves as a CCW for me as well. Which one do I prefer? I like them both! They both serve a specific purpose for me. For example: IF.....IF....I feel the need to run a gun with more capacity...then of course I'm going with my P30SK. Even if I would like to conceal a little smaller piece (like when I went to church this morning...lol)...then it is my P30SK hands down! However, if I feel like carry a piece with fewer rounds (w/1-2 extra magazines) but having more of a kick to it...then of course that is my HK45C.

    My mindset on this pointless debate of which gun is the best carry piece is this; we're all different, with different needs, personalities, tastes, styles, body types, height, weight etc. With my body frame I can carry and conceal ALL gun sizes comfortably so I'm good with carrying sub-compacts, midsize and full size pieces. Makes no difference to me. For me; it just all boils down to whatever caliber (i.e. 9mm, .45) I feel like carrying that day! Simple concept actually!
    Last edited by Militant; 05-02-2016 at 07:11 AM.
    HK P30 HK P30sk HK VP9 HK VP9sk
    HK45c HK USP45c HK USP9c
    HK USP45c Stainless
    HK USP40c Stainless


    "Each man needs his own style one which suits him. And any wise man chooses one,
    matching his abilities and concentrates on that til' it's mastered quite completely. No man can learn them all!"

    - Kung Fu Grand Master

  9. #48
    Junior Member

    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I don't think so. HK 45c is considered too big for concealed carry. P30 would be better choice but I don't recommend anyone, specially thin and short people, to try to conceal carry 45C when there are many other options in HK brand.

  10. #49
    Senior Member
    Prez's Avatar
    Join Date : Apr 2010
    Location : NV
    Posts : 127
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by S404 View Post
    At this point, I am convinced that the sole reason for (the Hk45C's) popularity as a CCW, on this board at least, has to do with it being exalted, either unintentionally or on purpose, in the caliber religion of .45 ACP.
    And across the street at the temple of "New modern 9mm loads are effectively the terminal ballistic equivalent of the .45 ACP" religion there's this curious dogma that one 9mm pistol is inferior to another 9mm pistol because it has one round less capacity in the magazine.

    I believe this all got started with that tactical shooting pastime where people run around in ball caps and cargo pants pretending to engage 15+ hostile targets the moment some referee's electronic timer gizmo goes 'beep!'.
    [Hk91] [Hk MP5-N] [Hk45ct]

  11. #50
    Very Senior Member

    Join Date : Nov 2009
    Posts : 374
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I'm looking to buy an hk after a hiatus. I'm in a ban state and currently shoot 1911s but really miss my HKS. I've been thinking of replacing the void by re-buying an hk45. Loved that platform.
    You guys have me thinking maybe I should buy a P30 in 9mm instead BUT...keeping only one caliber may be more convenient. I don't know.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links

 
 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

hk 45c for conceal carry

,

hk45c as a carry

,

hk45c as a carry.

,

hk45c for carry

,

hk45c for concealed carry

,

hk45c smart carry holster

,

is the hk45c good for conceal carry

Click on a term to search for related topics.