Giving the VP9 another shot...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Giving the VP9 another shot...

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Default Giving the VP9 another shot...

Some of you may remember my issues with the VP9, but it was about a year ago, so surely there are new people here.

I had picked up a VP9 in early November of 2014. I liked the gun a lot. The trigger was "okay". It wasn't terrible, but it certainly wasn't as great as everyone had made it sound. I didn't know that anything was wrong with it really, as I had never handled a different specimen. While lubed, the gun ran pretty well. It was very accurate. I had an issue with the trigger that, when the gun was fully degreased, the trigger would stick during the take up and be very heavy. I took the gun apart and found a burr on the disconnector lever that I smoothed out and it helped quite a bit. I covered that in a thread here: https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-handgu...matically.html

I also found that during my own reliability tests in the AZ desert, the gun was very not tolerant of getting debris inside of it. A little sand in the space where the trigger bar and disconnector rides and the trigger became extremely gritty and sometimes would fail to reset. The AZ desert sand will make just about every gun choke, so that wasn't a huge deal. I was primarily concerned with the trigger failing to reset. FTF/FTE malfunctions are common when the guns get exposed to that fine sand. I ended up selling the gun back in October.

I've had quite a few people tell me that I should have sent the gun back to HK for analysis, but it was too late at that point. Last weekend PSA had VP9's available for $518.99 with free shipping. I had been considering picking up another to give it another shot. I really did like everything about the VP9 except for problems I had with mine. So I ordered it on Friday night and picked it up today. As a side note, PSA has really stepped their game up. I remember a few years back whenever I would order AR parts from them, it would be WEEKS before they would ship. Anyways, as soon as I felt the new VP9 trigger, I knew there was definitely something wrong with the one I had before. The take up was actually smooth like everyone always said it was, rather than the 'hump' that I addressed in my old thread. Everything else was smooth, too.

When I got home, I did a thorough degrease of the entire gun to see how the trigger would react and to my surprise, there was basically no change at all. That speaks very well for the gun to me. That's what I originally expected. I'm excited to get some 10-8 sights on it and probably remove the cocking tabs. I never really cared for them. I have a Tulster Profile holster already on the way. I'll give it a work out at the range under normal condition to confirm it's all good to go that way, and then I'll try to get it out to the desert for some of my more brutal testing. I'll try to remember to record that, so you guys can see what I do. Two things I noticed that I thought seemed different from my memory of the original, was that the trigger return spring on this new one is bright silver. I could have sworn that the original had the darker steel spring, typical for HK's. Also, there is no red paint on the rear of the striker. I actually really like this, whether it's supposed to be that way or someone forgot to paint it... it's much less distracting. All good things so far.

I'm really hoping this one proves to be better than my first one. I'll keep you all updated.

Last edited by Uncle Malice; 05-05-2016 at 01:12 AM.
    HK USP 9 Match LEM Hybrid | HK P2000 V3 | HK P30 V3 | HK VP9 SK
    Moderator of r/USPmasterrace

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good luck with it...I got my LE version in mid 2015 and I have had no issues with it right out of the case.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Aside from ur first one which had to be an exception, I'm sure u'll really like it this time around. I got just over 2k rounds thru mine and I could swear that trigger got sweeter the more I shot it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I'm hoping so. I put around 3k through my first one. At the range, when it was clean and properly lubed, it ran very well... but I like to test my guns to see how they work when they aren't in such nice conditions. I really like the VP9 design. I just hope it proves to be a bit more reliable this time around. Definitely seems like it's squared away from the factory at least, so that's good.

I don't condemn a gun for failing when exposed to our sand... if I did, the only guns I would still own would be a Glock and a P320. Those are the only 2 I couldn't get to fail when bathing them in sand. I just don't want the trigger to bind up. I can't easily fix that with a tap-rack-ready.

Unrepentant HKHolic

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Nice write up. Hope you like this one as much as I love mine. I'd be very interested in seeing your tests. Also of the glock and 320 if you do them all again.

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Hope it works for you this time around.

I got the sale blast from PSA too and thought hard about taking the plunge as that price was definitely good.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Uncle Malice,

I too have a VP9 from when they first started coming and another after they had been in for a little over a year and the newer one has a much smoother take up out of the box. No real complaints with my first one but there is definitely a difference.

Glad you're giving it another shot. I have thousands and thousands of rounds through my USP45s and it's always my first choice but the things I've been able to do with the VP9 at warp speeds is something I can't ignore

Nos pro patria

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

if you hate it send it to me so I can relieve you of the stress

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I am sure everyone at HK will be happy, you gave it another go. Happy shooting.

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)

Congratulations on the acquisition, and thanks for the report--- let us know how it works out!!!

Tony

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links