VP9 drop safety removal
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bmbutch

Thread: VP9 drop safety removal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default VP9 drop safety removal

Was looking to detail strip/clean my VP9. How do you remove the drop safety? Looks like you remove the striker and drive in the roll pin.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)

Remove the striker from the slide, drive in the Drop Safety Roll-pin, then remove the Drop Safety, and Axle + Compression Spring underneath the Drop Safety. To re-install, you want to install the Compression Spring first, compress it using a set of thin, long needle-nose pliers, install the Drop Safety, drop in the Axle, then drive the Roll-pin through them.

There is a VP9 Detail Stripping guide in the Reference Forum but I have not had a chance to do a detailed disassembly of the Drop Safety or Support Sleeves.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TooSixy View Post
    Remove the striker from the slide, drive in the Drop Safety Roll-pin, then remove the Drop Safety, and Axle + Compression Spring underneath the Drop Safety. To re-install, you want to install the Compression Spring first, compress it using a set of thin, long needle-nose pliers, install the Drop Safety, drop in the Axle, then drive the Roll-pin through them.

There is a VP9 Detail Stripping guide in the Reference Forum but I have not had a chance to do a detailed disassembly of the Drop Safety or Support Sleeves.
    Necro post only because TooSixy saved my bacon, so Thank You Sir!

Had a couple slides coated midnight bronze (have 4 VP9 & 3 VP9SK, didn’t want more), so coated 1 of each. I thought I had stripped it down enough, but obviously forgot the drop safety. How do I know this? I could not get the upgraded striker assy back in (stainless sleeve). After 2 hours of frustration, stripped another VP & noticed the drop safety axle was 180 diff from my cerakoted slides. After googling VP9 drop safety pin I found this post. Drove in Pin, rotated axle (a bit more involved, but that’s the basic) & all is well. My coater didn’t mention the extra work, but must have installed them both backwards. Learned a lot & have some sore fingers.

Again, Thank You TooSixy, I’d likely be paying a Smith if not for your post! Also used your detailed strip guide for striker stuff!
    TooSixy likes this.

GCV

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

TooSixy, would it be too much trouble to post a picture of just the compression spring installed (before installation of the safety and axle.)

Sponsored Links