HKPRO Forums banner

P2000

7K views 31 replies 17 participants last post by  gumby 
#1 ·
P2000 v2 or v3? Why one over the other? Gun will be for carry and HD.
I've had both but it's been a long time. Tempted by dasa for some reason.

#13 · (Edited)
View attachment 42782

DA/SA is great, I prefer it.

DA/SA for me as well. I briefly installed the LEM into my USP 9 full size and switched it back to DA/SA. Also owned an HK45c LEM but really despised the LEM. My issue w it is mostly matter of training. my brain is so accustomed to striker trigger or a DA/SA system. the LEM has the length of pull like a DA (similar to revolver), but really it's an SA trigger. my brain just couldn't get used to it.

on the P2000 V3, I recently installed the wolff 10 lb hammer spring and it provides a buttery smooth 8lb DA pull w perfectly reliable primer ignition.

#5 ·
I have V3 (DA/SA). The LEM is good, too... but it definitely has a steeper learning curve in my experience. Since I shoot a variety of guns, I try to stick with just DA/SA or striker fired. I have a tendency to short stroke the reset on LEM.

#6 ·
Go with what you like. If you have a lot of other guns that are DA/SA, and you shoot them well, then why deviate for this purchase? The LEM, in my opinion, works really well for people who learned to shoot with, or have a lot of, striker-fired pistols. I think it's a lot better than any striker-fired pistol because there's almost no tactile interference during the pre-travel, until you get to the breaking point where you come to a wall, and then you've got a nice, crisp break, followed by the same distance of trigger reset in between shots as you'd have on the DA/SA model.

I have a tendency to short stroke the reset on LEM.
Honestly, how? I have owned both DA/SA and LEM versions of the P30sk and USPc, and there is no difference in the trigger reset distance between DA/SA and LEM of a given model pistol. I haven't owned any P2000s, but I have trouble imagining that this model alone would be different in this regard.

Maybe you mean that you have a tendency to long-stroke them by releasing the trigger farther forward than it needs to go? I just don't see how short-stroking an LEM trigger is a thing, given that I have observed no difference in trigger reset distance.

#8 ·
Honestly, how? I have owned both DA/SA and LEM versions of the P30sk and USPc, and there is no difference in the trigger reset distance between DA/SA and LEM of a given model pistol. I haven't owned any P2000s, but I have trouble imagining that this model alone would be different in this regard.

Maybe you mean that you have a tendency to long-stroke them by releasing the trigger farther forward than it needs to go? I just don't see how short-stroking an LEM trigger is a thing, given that I have observed no difference in trigger reset distance.

No. I didn't. I meant what I said.

Because LEM is a consistent trigger pull, so I have a tendency to treat it like a striker subconsciously... i.e. - Glock, VP9, P320, PPQ...

I didn't have that issue with the USP LEM(because it's a bit shorter), but the P-series guns have a longer reset. It's just a 3rd trigger style that I rather like in dry fire... but in actual practice, it didn't work as well for me.

That's not a knock against the system. I actually wish it did work better for me... I'm sure it would if I invested enough training time with it... but I've got plenty of other guns to shoot and the V3 model worked as expected right off the bat.

#11 ·
I like both DA/SA and LEM. It's all preference. Some like only one or the other. I seldom cc any of my striker guns, but I like them too.

#16 ·
I struggled with the heavy stacking on the DA pull until I started replacing the hammer springs. The wolff 10lb hammer springs are cheap and take approx 2 min to swap. Result is much less stacking on the DA pull. Now I can draw and press my DA shot with good results. Using the stock hammer springs I had to press the DA very very slowly and work on keeping the sights aligned.

My gratitude is to this forum which is how I was introduced to the Wolff hammer spring upgrade. Gotta admit of all the firearms forums HKpro has some of the most knowledgeable members.

#18 ·
I've revisited the idea of the 45c instead of the P2000 in 9mm but I think the P2000 is the way to go even in a ban state.
Pros and cons of the 45c
Cons:
Slightly heavier
More recoil
2 less rounds (5 less in free states)
$300-400 more
Ammo costs a lot more

Pro:
It's very close in size
It's stupid accurate.

#19 ·
I recently picked up a 45C.

Grip is the same length as my P2000, but a bit wider when looking at it from the side.

Recoil is excellent for a .45, very easy to handle.

In this size gun, if I were in a ban state, I'd rather have 8 rounds of ,45 than 10 of 9mm. If I was restricted to 10x 9mm, I'd go down to the P2000SK. (which I also have, and is excellent too)

Funny addition, I posted earlier I prefer DA/SA. Was at the range this morning with my DA/SA P30SK and my LEM P2000SK. Shot the P2000SK LEM much, much better than the DA/SA P30SK. The P30SK is still pretty new and probably needs more break in with the trigger, but I thought it was interesting given what I posted earlier in the thread.

#25 ·
Yup, I reload for everything I shoot and I still cringe at the cost of buying .45ACP bullets VS. 9mm. $10 per thousand doesn't sound like a big deal, but once you hit the 20-25,000 rounds a year mark it starts adding up.......

Chuck

#27 ·
I am in a similar quandary. I have a VP9 and a P30S V3. I think I want (not need) a P2000. I enjoy each one equally. I am mostly on the fence about V1 or V3. It really has me not "pulling the trigger" on the purchase. I am not concerned about the manual of arms as I have other DAO HD/CCW options. These are used on the range only. Any advice or insight would be great. Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.