Dropping slide on Empty chamber? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Dropping slide on Empty chamber?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Punchubby69 View Post
    Ah jeeze poor sig, it's insanely hard to see someone handle such a High end pistol so poorly. But it's good know that I have been freaking out for no reason. Thank you for the response!
    Racking the slide is hoe it functions. No different then shooting it 6 times

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by delphidoc View Post
    TLetting the slide slam home on a chambered round is a definite no-no on any semiauto- that can damage the extractor.
    As in placing a round in the barrel by hand and releasing the slide? Is that what you are saying?
    EDIT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Racking the slide is hoe it functions. No different then shooting it 6 times

Yes racking is ok, but letting it go on a empty chamber is maybe not the best technique.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by delphidoc View Post
    I checked your other posts and saw that you own a CZ75. I've got a 75B SA. If you don't want to dry-fire using snap caps (which can crumble and leave residue in the chamber) you can put a #83 O-ring behind the firing pin. They come in boxes of 10 on the plumbing aisle of your local hardware store.
    Thank you for the heads up! I just might go out and purchase me some of these Orings! The CZ is the only pistol in my possession so far that i just can't get the trigger down right. Seems gritty, maybe some dry fire seasons will help that grittyness!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ataim0002 View Post
    As in placing a round in the barrel by hand and releasing the slide? Is that what you are saying?
    Yes. In normal operation the slide strips a round out of the magazine. The round comes from underneath the extractor to seat its rim behind the extractor claw and is then chambered. If a round is already chambered the extractor claw has to bump over the rim of the round, which it's not designed to do. It will eventually chip off the claw of the extractor. That's why when topping off a gun you're supposed to load the mag, strip the top round by racking the slide, then remove the mag and put another round into the mag. Instead of manually chambering a round and then inserting a full mag. Let the slide do the round chambering to protect the extractor.

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

You had better apologize to your Father, I'm sure you showed hm see attitude/made faces when he slide closed,now go get some breakfast at his favorite place, and YOU get the check! No no harm whatso ever will come from letting the slide close. The gun is fired, and the slide slams back and forth with such force you hardly notice it. Just letting the slide close while pushing the slide lock is fine. Just make sure your finger isn't in the way.

Now why are you still sitting there, go grab Dad, and get to breakfast.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Punchubby69 View Post
    Yes racking is ok, but letting it go on a empty chamber is maybe not the best technique.
    Like I said I don't see any harm in it. That's how the gun works anyway. You can't tell me that the bullet actually slows the slide down just enough not to cause damage. Not all ammo is equal. Not all brass is the same, not all bullets have the same weight and occasionally the slide stop fails to catch. It's a gun, a tool that's ment to be used and contains explosions... and we're afraid of closing in an empty chamber!?

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ARCTICDETH View Post
    You had better apologize to your Father, I'm sure you showed hm see attitude/made faces when he slide closed,now go get some breakfast at his favorite place, and YOU get the check! No no harm whatso ever will come from letting the slide close. The gun is fired, and the slide slams back and forth with such force you hardly notice it. Just letting the slide close while pushing the slide lock is fine. Just make sure your finger isn't in the way.

Now why are you still sitting there, go grab Dad, and get to breakfast.
    This, I just did this to all my guns yesterday as I moved them into their new safe. If they were that fragile I wouldn't dare shoot actual bullets in them. I think you owe dad an apology.

-Sean

Typoed on my iPhone
    USP 9F Tactical Clone
    S&W 4006
    Browning Hi-Power 9mm 75th Anniversary Edition
    VP9
    USPc 9mm
    Savage Axxis .308/Remington 700 ADL 7mm Magnum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is the first I've ever heard of this possibly being an issue.
    Guns aren't designed to require the buffer of picking up a round. Inversely they are designed to over come it- to a degree. While picking up a round from the mag may slow down the slide a minor amount, what stops the forward motion is never the cartridge. IMHO I just can't imagine cycling the unloaded gun could cause any issues that normal wear and tear don't already do.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I can't imagine an forces created by racking the slide, or dry firing, that could cause any damage.
    Considering the forces the weapon is subjected to during live fire operations, the "dry fire" stresses are insignificant.
    Even my Rimfire weapons get dry fired on a regular basis. My 1971 Ruger Mk 1 Target model has never had an issue related to such a practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links