Dropping slide on Empty chamber?
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Dropping slide on Empty chamber?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Dropping slide on Empty chamber?

Hey guys, I had a quick question, and would love some advice from you guys about this issue.

So basically, I bought my brand new USP40 about 3 weeks ago and absolutely loved it! Brought it home and my dad wanted to see it. Alright cool, no problem dad, and mind you he isn't a gun person. So I took the pistol out of its case and gave it to my dad after safety checking it. He racked the slide once and locked it back, checked the gun out and pushed the slide release on an empty chamber, thus making the slide go foreword on an empty chamber. I kinda cringed, but didn't say anything. Then he takes the mag out and racks the gun and let's it go foreword again on a empty chamber. I cringed even harder and said thats enough dad and took my pistol back telling him I had to go clean the gun.

So I have been thinking, could dropping the slide on an empty chamber damaged my USP somehow?
    Last edited by Punchubby69; 06-05-2016 at 03:59 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I highly doubt it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Maybe if done 20,000 times. Occasionally no

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Your USP is fine.
    But in the big scheme of things, could doing it all the time cause unnecessary damage? Depends on who you ask. A lot of people will make the argument that the gun goes through more stress during live fire than simply letting the slide slam shut on an empty chamber. Others will contest that with the argument that a slide flying forward during live fire is slowed down and somewhat cushioned by picking up and chambering the next round.
    You're probably about to start an epic battle of metallurgical wits, so get the popcorn ready.
    Personally, I think it's unnecessary so I don't do it. I was at the local gunshop last month and someone asked to see a Sig 9mm and in a matter of about 2 minutes he must've racked it, and let it slam shut 6 times before handing it back to the associate and telling him he was more of a Glock guy. Did it crack and fall apart? Nope! Did the associate yell at him? Nah. If I ever see him at the range am I going to let him handle any of my pistols? No chance.
    Last edited by gza069; 06-05-2016 at 04:14 AM. Reason: Spelling.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good to hear! Thank you for the response!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The slide's breechface closes against the back of the barrel whether the slide is stripping a round out of the mag or not, so dropping the slide shouldn't do any more barrel damage than occurs while shooting the gun. Extensive dry firing can damage the firing pin retaining pin on some guns (CZ) or striker retaining pin (XDm). Letting the slide slam home on a chambered round is a definite no-no on any semiauto- that can damage the extractor.
    Last edited by delphidoc; 06-05-2016 at 04:31 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Maybe if done 20,000 times. Occasionally no

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Ha definitely won't happen ever again, let alone 20k times! Thank you for the response!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gza069 View Post
    Your USP is fine.
    But in the big scheme of things, could doing it all the time cause unnecessary damage? Depends on who you ask. A lot of people will make the argument that the gun goes through more stress during live fire than simply letting the slide slam shut on an empty chamber. Others will contest that with the argument that a slide flying forward during live fire is slowed down and somewhat cushioned by picking up and chamfering the next round.
    You're probably about to start an epic battle of metallurgical wits, so get the popcorn ready.
    Personally, I think it's unnecessary so I don't do it. I was at the local gunshop last month and someone asked to see a Sig 9mm and in a matter of about 2 minutes he must've racked it, and let it slam shut 6 times before handing it back to the associate and telling him he was more of a Glock guy. Did it crack and fall apart? Nope! Did the associate yell at him? Nah. If I ever see him at the range am I going to let him handle any of my pistols? No chance.
    Ah jeeze poor sig, it's insanely hard to see someone handle such a High end pistol so poorly. But it's good know that I have been freaking out for no reason. Thank you for the response!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by delphidoc View Post
    The slide's breechface closes against the back of the barrel whether the slide is stripping a round out of the mag or not, so dropping the slide shouldn't do any more barrel damage than occurs while shooting the gun. Extensive dry firing can damage the firing pin retaining pin on some guns (CZ and XDm come to mind). Letting the slide slam home on a chambered round is a definite no-no on any semiauto- that can damage the extractor.
    Glad to hear i didn't cause any major damage to my beloved pistol! dry firing without snapcaps is a no-no in my book, and I definitely don't let my slide go over a chambered round! Thank you for the input!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I checked your other posts and saw that you own a CZ75. I've got a 75B SA. If you don't want to dry-fire using snap caps (which can crumble and leave residue in the chamber) you can put a #83 O-ring behind the firing pin. They come in boxes of 10 on the plumbing aisle of your local hardware store.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links