SP5K and Cleaning - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: SP5K and Cleaning

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Just read my manual for the sp5k, yup ts a safe queen. Never firing it. Too many parts to take apart, clean, inside the bolt carrier, spring area, , it's just too much for me to want to clean it. So it will stay in box til I get m y son to clean it for me, in about 10 more years.
    It is a nice firearm. No doubt on that fact.
    FAMILY, faithfulness, compassion, honesty, empathy, trust, hockey, single malt Scotch 21+, Heavy Metal music, German, Irish, Belgian, English bier, what else is there...?

The Librarian
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

I can get my MP5s in about 10-15 minutes each. Bolt group, rails inside the rec and chamber is the most critical parts to clean.
    "...but just like every other clone, they are copies of the original and copies are never as good as the original."

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oicani View Post
    I can get my MP5s in about 10-15 minutes each. Bolt group, rails inside the rec and chamber is the most critical parts to clean.
    Jesus mine take like an hour.. I really wish there was a definitive quick/easy/correct cleaning post... I feel the factory armorers manual leaves a lot to be desired (imho of course!) in this regard!
    I have a slight HK problem.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

I Bleed Urban Gray
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Barth View Post
    My personal plan? (Thanks to StraightGrain)
    1) Fieldstrip, clean & lube
    2) Fire 500 rounds of German NATO 124 gr ammo
    3) Fieldstrip, clean & lube
    4) Fire 500 rounds of U.S. NATO 124 gr ammo
    5) Fieldstrip, clean & lube
    6) Continue to enjoy my new iconic Hk till the End of Days
    Quote Originally Posted by Marine0303 View Post
    The recommendation for the MP5 and MP5K is to clean it every 500 to 1000 rounds. Using dirtier ammo or shooting suppressed will make you want to clean closer to the low end.
    @Marine0303 what are your thoughts specifically about the break in regimen cited above by @Barth and generally about the concept of breaking in a roller-lock subgun (semi auto only)? Is this something you do?

Keep your booger hook off the bang switch till you're ready to bring the hate

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I'm assuming the bolt group and any small parts can go in the ultrasonic cleaner, and then just do the receiver and barrel as usual.
    "Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one's life for one's friends." -John 15:13

Teufelshund Tactical
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by omega21 View Post
    @Marine0303 what are your thoughts specifically about the break in regimen cited above by @Barth and generally about the concept of breaking in a roller-lock subgun (semi auto only)? Is this something you do?
    When I get a new H&K, I put it on the bench and give it a quick cleaning and lubrication. Then I outfit it with whatever I am going to run on it and take it to the range for zero and to test function by running a few simple drills.
    When I get back, I give it a more detailed cleaning and lubrication and put it in my normal training rotation.
    As stated previously, I clean my H&Ks every 500 to 1000 rounds or every time I shoot. I also inspect the internal components, as even H&Ks can have failures and I'd rather know and correct them on my workbench, then find out later on the range or in a real world scenario. Some guys will run their guns longer or purposefully see how long they can run a gun between cleaning, but that does not make sense to me. I guess it goes back to my military training, but you always take care of your weapons.
    SF,

James

Heckler and Koch Certified Armorer (Heckler and Koch)
    Heckler and Koch Pistol, Submachine Gun and Rifle Instructor (Singleton International)

Owner, Teufelshund Tactical

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

I Bleed Urban Gray
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)

Thank you sir!

Premium Professional
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I'm new to roller locks, but not HK's. I have heard the advice to break in any new HK with hot ammo initially, but have not found that to be the case with the VP9's and now SP5K. My SP5K came dripping wet from the factory, so I skipped my normal clean/lube routine with a new gun and took it straight to the range. The SP5K has not been exposed to anything but my 135 power factor USPSA Production reloads with 125gn coated bullets, and has run perfectly for the 500 rounds I have through it so far except for one FTE within the first magazine. Obviously 500 is not a significant amount when it comes to determining reliability, but it is indicative that special ammo was not needed for my particular SP5K.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links