HKPRO Forums banner

Officially moved from "I just want a handgun" to addict.

3K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  Guest 
#1 ·
About 8 months after my first ever gun purchase of VP9, now it has a little brother. Drove all over creation yesterday to almost every gun store in the area (going to finish that journey today) trying to pick out an AR-15, and brought home a P30sks V3 instead. Also another 1000 round case to join the 1500 that were just delivered the other day because I have no self control when there's a moderately good deal.

Now I can't really carry it yet, as it was an impulse buy and I have no holster. The VP9 aliengear seems to work, but having a holster the same size kindof nullifies a lot of the benefit of the smaller gun. Any recommendations? I'm thinking stealth gear. VP9 is horrible for appendix, but maybe the sk will work. I'd also like to find a laser/light-bearing IWB eventually. I'm also kindof surprised that it's pretty much the same weight as the VP9. Does the hammer really add that much extra weight? I also didn't get the LE version like with the VP9, and I must say I LOVE how much brighter the sights are for daytime shooting. They even seem to hold their charge pretty well into the night. I will miss the notch for one-handed slide racking though. Not that I ever used it, but it's nice to know you can if you need to.

Now to clean it up and test drive it. I figure you all know well by now what a P30sk looks like, and there's nothing special or custom about mine, so I have no pictures. Maybe if the range trip reveals anything interesting.

Still after the rifle, and already lusting over more HK and even a couple non-HK handguns. Yep, I never had a hope of only owning one handgun and maybe one long gun.

See less See more
#3 ·
Congrats!!!

I think we all started that way... not too long ago, NOV 2015 to be exact, I purchased my first pistol and HK (P30L)... now I'm on #8 with the VP40 that arrived at my LGS yesterday!

I need help! :)

#4 ·
Now it's all cleaned and lubed up, but I'm feeling super sleepy. Don't think I'm going to make it to the range today.

Hey that red coating on the recoil spring doesn't serve a purpose does it? Because it came RIGHT the hell off on the initial wipedown. It's also gone from my VP9, but it took a lot longer. Also I don't need to worry about the finish already being worn off in spots do I? Frame rails and where the trigger rubs against the frame are bare metal out of the box. The back of the RSA where it mates with the locking block is fairly worn also.

#6 ·
I use a Comptac Infidel IWB for the P2000sk for my P30sk. (already had the holster from my P2000SK.). As long as you don't have the retention cranked down a lot it works fine. They do have a new version for the P30Sk but I havent tried it yet.

I have a light on my P2000SK, and use a IWB from MultiHolsters for it, it's a bit bulky but works well. You can customize the holster on their website to get the right pistol/light combo.

Also, I hear you on the addiction. I'm at 8 HK pistols now (and many more from other brands), and keep wanting more.

#7 ·
I use an Ozark IWB Kydex holster for my P30SK LEM and love it. I CCW it at about 3:30. Very easy to remove holster with P30SK in it while on belt which is really handy in the car and to put in and out of the safe. Comfortable too.

#9 ·
Congrats on your Koch addiction and your latest P30sk. I just picked one up last week in V1 and love it. Had it out at the range for a second run yesterday. Absolute tack driver. I pull and point and bang, its over. No hesitation and no misses. No need for practice with it as it gets it done every time.
I use an inexpensive Winthrop IWB leather holster. It is very comfortable and for the price, it can be replaced in a few years should the leather become funky.
Save up your cash. There are many more HKs in your future.

#12 ·
Congrats and welcome to the VP9/P30SK club! I'll second the recommendations for the Stealth Gear holsters, they're great, I have both the AIWB and the standard IWB versions for my P30SKS. The wait was right at a month to get one, so make sure you aren't impatient if you order one, it will take a while but will be worth it.

#16 ·
Thanks for the holster recommendations and pictures. I just ordered an Ozark. I think I'll probably also order a stealth gear, but I'm torn between the mini and the appendix. I don't really want to buy both. I considered the comp-tac also, but based on the one I have for the VP9 I think it's too bulky given that the idea behind getting the sk was a more concealable and comfortable gun.

#17 ·
Still after the rifle, and already lusting over more HK and even a couple non-HK handguns. Yep, I never had a hope of only owning one handgun and maybe one long gun.
I hope I don't fall into this addiction. Exactly 1 year ago, I purchased a shotgun as a home defense weapon... last week, I purchased the VP9 (first hand gun) as a secondary option. Think I'm done but this **** is addicting, wish me luck yaw lol.

#19 · (Edited)
Congrats on your lifelong addiction! LOL! I think most here started this way as mentioned above and it will probably vary in brands, types of weapons, and styles. For me, it started with Glocks which continues. Then it was AR's, H&K's, 1911's and you get the idea. I'm on a H&K kick now and will have an SP5K soon and am on the hunt for a P30L & USP9T.

#20 ·
I definitely want an SP5K (well, what I really want is a legit MP5, but this'll probably be the closest we can ever get), but the price is too high for me. Maybe once that comes down some, assuming they are still available after November. Also why I really need to get a move on with my AR decision.

#21 · (Edited)
Finally got it to the range (twice). No one was exaggerating when they said how soft it shoots for a subcompact. If anything, it's slightly softer than the VP9. There must be some magic in that double RSA setup. In the extensive dry firing I was doing in the days prior to the range, my pinky got rather fatigued from the awkward position it was in. I was happy to discover that this was not a problem at all for actual shooting. Matter of fact, I never even really thought about the dangling digit. But now I have a +1 finger extension from HKparts anyway :). I also plan on trying out the p2000 mag/x-grip setup. Now if I could find my camera, I saved the target for the first two mags.

Random other thought: I very much dislike the takedown compared to the VP9. Trying to hold the slide in place with one hand while pulling the damn decocking lever out with the other is a PITA. Couldn't they have just lined it up to be done with the slide locked back?

#23 ·
Random other thought: I very much dislike the takedown compared to the VP9. Trying to hold the slide in place with one hand while pulling the damn decocking lever out with the other is a PITA. Couldn't they have just lined it up to be done with the slide locked back?
Agreed, the VP9 takedown is super-easy. If you aren't already, put your right palm over the top/rear of the slide and wrap your thumb under the rear of the slide at the top of the grip and you can hold it back really easy with that hand and use the other to pull the take-down lever.

#22 ·
As far as addiction goes, unfortunately I'm pretty sure the voice in my head has talked me into a Mark 23. I've never held one though, so if the grip is as awful as the USP full size my wallet may survive another day.

....Except one of the shops I was in looking for an AR had 2 REALLLLY pretty F/A MP5s. Only 30 grand. And there was a legit G3 at the gun show today. I didn't even ask.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.