Hk 10mm, can it be done successfully (not with issues like I see previous)

Thread: Hk 10mm, can it be done successfully (not with issues like I see previous)

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Hk 10mm, can it be done successfully (not with issues like I see previous)

A 10mm Hk seems to be a recurring fantasy for those folks that are in the 10mm cult and HK cult.

I have done the complete search on and off the forum
    I see that Big Chris 304 was converting them, but he seems to have dropped off the forum; I have tried to PM him and have not heard back

There are several USP .40 and a USP .40 tactical's converted to 10mm on the interweb.
    Here are the issues I have seen on completed guns
    1. USP .40 conversion will not eject loaded rounds as the ejection port is to small
    2. The 10mm convert needs to cobble in a metal magazine, I don't recall seeing one fit seamlessly. But this seems like a easy problem to tackle
    3. Opening the ejection port to be able to eject a loaded 10mm cartridge will (might) compromise the barrel lockup. Is there any solution to that problem?

Alternate approach is to start with a .45 gun as the magazine fits 10mm rounds. Then get a conversion barrel made; but the breach face doesn't match (as well as ejector, extractor)
    The slides aren't interchangeable either, as you can't put a .40 slide on a .45 frame either to eliminate the breach face problem.

I did see a 10mm P7m10, but the magazine doesn't hold long nosed 10mm rounds either; and the m10 gets blistering hot with the 10mm round.

You guys are the pinnacle of the HK knowledge spear!
    A Mk23 10mm would be a monster! or a 10mm Expert! maybe a P30L 10mm?
    Any other idea's? Hope to garner a few fun ideas from the thread, maybe less of the "if Hk wanted 10mm, then they would build..blah blah"

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Didn't HK produce some MP5s in 10 mm?
    If "Dirty Harry" had been made in 1996:
    "I know what you're thinking: 'Did he fire twelve shots or only eleven?' Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being this is a HK MARK 23, the only offensive handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?"

HKPRO Professional
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Well, I see you have done the research (which pleases me). If I recall correctly, Big Chris 304 converted USP 45's, but I'm not 100% on that. that said, he dropped off this board a couple of years or so ago....... I don't know of another way to locate/contact him.....
    HK91
    HK94
    USC/UMP
    SL8/G36
    P7M8
    P9s .45acp
    VP70Z
    USP Tactical .45acp
    V51/HK51 clone
    HK45
    HK45c
    HK 416 10.5" upper
    GSG5PK
    P30Ls
    HK45T (OD Green)
    VP9
    CR556A1
    P30SKs
    SP5K

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

they did make MP5 10mm for a FBI contract.

One can also convert a MP5 .40 to 10mm. But it is more difficult to build than the 9mm. I have spoken to one of the forum guys about building one; but would love to have a pistol to go along with it.
    I probably don't need one, but it is fun to work towards

I spoke with a guy that had Big Chris convert a tactical .40 to 10mm. He said his only complaint was the inability to eject a loaded cartridge.

I don't have a USP handy, but I am trying to think of a way to open up the ejection area
    Last edited by scubadds; 07-14-2016 at 03:02 PM.

Requiescat in Pace
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

"Converting" handguns to a different and far different caliber like 10mm Auto is ALWAYS going to be both risky and unfavorable in the results. The 10mm Auto, depending on the round selected/used, is in a different class then say .45 ACP or .40 S&W. 10mm Auto ranges from whimpy @ 950 fps 180 grain JHP's to 1575+ fps grain 170 grain Norma smokers. It would be a compromise at best and potentially dangerous at worst, especially over the long term (many rounds fired). Designers consider all factors when designing firearms in a particular caliber and they design in safeguards and overages to handle long term use, out of the norm occurrences like overpressure ammo and obstructed bore failures, performance when parts become worn, etc. If you want a 10mm Auto anything, buy one that was purpose-designed by a reputable maker. My opinion based on being the US PM at HK for the 10mm Auto MP5/10 and MP5/40. These guns ran and served the FBI well but would have been better had the receiver, barrel extension and bolt head been designed specifically for these larger rounds versus trying to "stuff" it in the 9mm MP5 receiver, barrel extension - not possible without "growing" the receiver accordingly. That however would have been very expensive for production tooling and gauges based on the qty forecasted to be built and sold (@ 5000). As a result the bolt head and extractor were compromised, not unsafe but with less material than desired and thus offering shorter service lives that say 9mm variants and thus compromised reliability and higher maintenance costs.
    G3Kurz
    Last edited by G3Kurz; 07-14-2016 at 03:48 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by G3Kurz View Post
    "Converting" handguns to a different and far different caliber like 10mm Auto is ALWAYS going to be both risky and unfavorable in the results. The 10mm Auto, depending on the round selected/used, is in a different class then say .45 ACP or .40 S&W. 10mm Auto ranges from whimpy @ 950 fps 180 grain JHP's to 1575+ fps grain 170 grain Norma smokers. It would be a compromise at best and potentially dangerous at worst, especially over the long term (many rounds fired). Designers consider all factors when designing firearms in a particular caliber and they design in safeguards and overages to handle long term use, out of the norm occurrences like overpressure ammo and obstructed bore failures, performance when parts become worn, etc. If you want a 10mm Auto anything, buy one that was purpose-designed by a reputable maker. My opinion based on being the US PM at HK for the 10mm Auto MP5/10 and MP5/40. These guns ran and served the FBI well but would have been better had the receiver, barrel extension and bolt head been designed specifically for these larger rounds versus trying to "stuff" it in the 9mm MP5 receiver, barrel extension - not possible without "growing" the receiver accordingly. That however would have been very expensive for production tooling and gauges based on the qty forecasted to be built and sold (@ 5000). As a result the bolt head and extractor were compromised, not unsafe but with less material than desired and thus offering shorter service lives that say 9mm variants and thus compromised reliability and higher maintenance costs.
    G3Kurz
    Well said! That explains a ton!
    Thanks

Priest of the P7
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)

Once again G3Kurtz drops the mic...
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.

Sponsored Links