True or False: The VP9 Tactical has the VP40 Recoil Spring - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: True or False: The VP9 Tactical has the VP40 Recoil Spring

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dale1970 View Post
    did you notice any differance in felt recoil with the current RSA from the RED painted RSA?
    I couldn't tell much difference at all between the 3 RSA's . Now my first VP9 RSA has over 18,000 rounds on it. But it's still flingin' 'em out there. A little further, maybe a foot or so .

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    NRA Certified RSO

Be where your feet are

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

People forget the your Also can get a heavier slide for you VP guns

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)

According to the latest VP-series Operator's Manual (October 2016 edition), the standard recoil spring assembly for both 9/40 is part 260506. Since the latest manual has references to the VP Tacticals (9/40) in it, it is safe to assume that the Tactical version comes with the same RSA.

Last edited by TooSixy; 11-02-2016 at 04:19 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I just picked up a NIB VP9 from that company selling them for $459 delivered. It appears to have been manufactured in 2016 (BG) and has the red spring. Do I need to upgrade the RSA?

Thanks!
    Old fart, with guns

Unrepentant HKHolic

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeppo View Post
    I just picked up a NIB VP9 from that company selling them for $459 delivered. It appears to have been manufactured in 2016 (BG) and has the red spring. Do I need to upgrade the RSA?

Thanks!
    I wouldn't. I have two vp9's, one with the old spring and one with the new. The spring you have will most likely shoot any ammo without issue. The new spring is much stiffer and will need either stronger ammo or some time to loosen up. My grey has the silver spring and it was a jamfest with 115gr. ammo for about 250 rounds. Now it will shoot anything. My first vp9 still has the original spring and shoots great. Just know that when you do replace it you will need to use strong 124gr ammo for awhile. Most likely, anyway. Congrats on a great gun!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Thanks so much for that. I'm looking forward to breaking it in.

I had a local craftsman build me custom leather holsters for my VP9SK and a magazine together with a matching gun belt. It all came out absolutely wonderfully with one small exception. The holster bottom is open but I wasn't smart enough to consider I might buy a VP9 the day after picking up the holster. The 9 fits perfectly (slide sticking out thru the bottom) but the front sight hangs up. Stupid me!

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

My VP9 Tactical (BG-coded) came with the VP40 spring. It didn't like WWB for about 20 rounds, but I shot it suppressed with 147 grain handloads and kept the slide locked back overnight and now it will function fine with 115 grain ammo.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default True or False: The VP9 Tactical has the VP40 Recoil Spring

My VP9 has the original red painted 9mm spring, should I get the .40 spring? Mine doesn't give me any issues, I shoot mainly 24 grain ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    -
    "Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Josefius View Post
    Mine doesn't give me any issues
    In my opinion, there is your answer. I have an earlier VP9 with the red spring and have no intention of replacing it until my round count justifies it. Like yours, it runs flawlessly. At the point when it comes time to replace it, I probably will go with the new spring.
    HKVP9T, HKVP9, HKVP9SKLE, CZ75 SP-01 TACTICAL, CZ P-01 BLACK, CZ P-01 GREEN, CZ 75D COMPACT PCR, GLOCK 26 GEN 3, SIG P320, SIG SP2022, RUGER GP100 6" 357 STAINLESS, RUGER GP100 4.2" 22LR, S&W 686 PLUS 3" TALO, S&W 22 COMPACT,RUGER MARK IV

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeppo View Post

Thanks!
    JonFrost is absolutely correct - don't bother buying a new spring, just shoot the heck out of your gun and enjoy. The only thing I will add is that if you ever plan on shooting a lot with a suppressor attached, consider picking up the VP9T/VP40 RSA. If you never plan on running suppressed (or if you only plan on running a mag or two suppressed) then your red spring is more than up to the task of anything you'll throw at it.

My VP is an early production model and came with the red spring - it reliably functioned for about 5-6k rounds in a number of different environments with all different ammo weights ranging from 115FMJ all the way up to 147gr +P JHP rounds. The spring still would be fine, but I started shooting a lot with a suppressor. After running about 500-600 total suppressed rounds with my stock red RSA, I noted that my drop safety roll pin had begun walking itself out of my slide (likely due to increased slide velocity & the accompanying inertial forces). The pin still had a ways to go before completely coming out but I didn't want to chance it. I tossed in a new roll pin, new drop safety spring (I figured while I'm in there, why not toss in a new spring?) and replaced the RSA with the VP9T/VP40 unit - no issues since.

A warning to folks who plan on running suppressed and want to swap to a stiffer RSA: DO NOT waste time and money with the SS Guiderods aftermarket RSA that HKparts sells. I initially tried to swap out to a stiffer RSA months before having issues with my drop safety pin, but the HK OEM units were out of stock. I figured I'd try the Stainless Steel Guiderods unit in the interim which was a mistake. It made it maybe 5 rounds before inducing multiple malfunctions - the screw head on the end which holds their RSA together hangs up on the slide and prevents the pistol from returning to battery.

HKParts told me to contact SS Guiderods. SSG told me they needed to speak with an engineer and would be in touch within a few days, then fell off the face of the earth. Three months later I notified HKParts of the situation, sent them all of my email correspondence with SSG, and they made it right (accepted a return on the defective unit and credited me towards an OEM VP9T RSA which was finally back in stock). Only after complaining to HKParts did SSG finally catch on and contact me (I'm guessing they could care less if an individual has a problem with them - but when a large retailer like HKParts talks they listen). I politely declined their offer of a free RSA and informed them that they need to work on their customer support.

Anyhow, enjoy your new VP!

-Dave

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links