HK USP Tactical 45 - .460 Rowland Conversion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: HK USP Tactical 45 - .460 Rowland Conversion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default HK USP Tactical 45 - .460 Rowland Conversion

Not sure if anyone else has done this, but I converted my USP Tactical 45 to fire .460 Rowland cartridges for use as a woods defense gun up here in Alaska. The conversion was straight forward and simple. I obtained an additional threaded barrel- OEM factory barrel - and had Wild West Guns of Anchorage team the chamber to .460 Rowland specifications. It took their carbide reamer to do the job since HK barrels are hardened and my regular Manson reamer would not "bite".. I ordered extra power recoil and magazine springs from Wolff gun Springs - and located a compensator on the internet that was threaded for the 16x1mm LH threads. Everything was assembled and test fired by Wild West Guns - and it functioned 100%.

My chosen "woods defense load" is the Underwood Ammunition 200 grain Xtreme Penetrator load with Lehigh Defenses solid copper CNC Machined bullets for maximum penetration and wounding characteristics. I hope to do a little range work soon with a Chrony and give a report - but for now, here are a few pictures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HK USP Tactical 45 - .460 Rowland Conversion-img_1695.jpg   HK USP Tactical 45 - .460 Rowland Conversion-img_1696.jpg   HK USP Tactical 45 - .460 Rowland Conversion-img_1697.jpg   HK USP Tactical 45 - .460 Rowland Conversion-img_1698.jpg   HK USP Tactical 45 - .460 Rowland Conversion-img_1699.jpg  

DISCO likes this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Wow. How do the fired casings look? Everything ok from a pressure perspective?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Fired cases look fine. No bulges and the primers look no different than +P cases.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wow...very impressive...talk about stopping power. Nice job!

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Great conversion! .44 Magnum ballistics without the pain and bulk of carrying a huge revolver! Wow! :D
    The Spirit of God hath made me, the breath of the Almighty hath given me life

Hidden Content Hidden Content

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've really been thinking about getting a beater USP from gun broker and doing this for a woods gun as well. That or getting a beater .40 and making a 10mm. I'm peanut butter and jelly bro.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Personally, don't want to beat up one of my favorate guns the USP Tactical 45.
    But have concidered getting a second FS USP beater, adding 20 lbs recoil spring and running 45 Super.
    Underwood makes some heavy hitting rounds in that caliber.
    And the gun should be 100% reliable.
    Just a thought...

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

impressive conversion...thanks for sharing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I run 18lb springs in my USP, shoot 45 Super all the time. It's been 100% reliable. Don't even have to swap springs back and forth.
    It's a great round for dropping Florida hogs.
    The USP would be a great platform for .460..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This was a used USP Tactical acquired on Gun Broker at a good price - specifically to do this conversion. I have previously converted XDs and Glocks but wasn't satisfied with the reliability. Usually they were not consistent on feeding the heavy bullets. The HK reliability did not disappoint. The heavy recoil and magazine springs were added for good measure. The compensator helps with the dwell time to allow the projectile to leave the barrel well before unlocking - which prevents case bulging. My budget was $800 for the USP Tactical with soft case and 6 mags, $40 for the compensator, about $30 in springs, and $110 to ream the chamber, install all springs, mark the barrel, reassemble and test fire.
    Last edited by flyandscuba; 10-23-2016 at 10:41 PM.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links