Help me if you can. - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Help me if you can.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky74 View Post
    I am a left handed shooter. I have a bad shoulder, so I have always shot 9mm. My LGS doesn't have a P2Ksk to rent in .40. I know this is subjective, but I would like to make the .40 my EDC. If you could please let me know your thought specifically on those two calibers regarding recoil with the P2Ksk and your thoughts in general on .40 (some say it's dying out because of ballistics in 9mm) I would greatly appreciate it. Oh, I ONLY carry AIWB and I intend on purchasing the V2 (LEM). Any thoughts on that would be welcomed too. Thank you in advance for any input you might have.
    The 9 will be a little softer in recoil. However, if you do find yourself in a self defense situation you're not going to notice recoil with your adrenaline going
    "God grants liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it." - Daniel Webster

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cjude View Post
    Ive carried .40 sw pistols AIWB for 15 years, Sig and Glock. I am a big fan of .40. That being said, you have 2 distinct issues. First, do you like/ can you shoot well with .40. If you hurt after shooting, dislike the increased recoil, accurate follow-up shots are more difficult, etc you will be negating any increased value that .40 could possibly give you. Plus you wont like shooting the gun so you wont practice enough....you see where this is going. I would suggest you rent a Glock 27 to familiarize yourself with the .40 recoil. In my opinion the G27 isn't noticibly different from the P2000sk as far as recoil. Most likely your LGS has one to rent they are pretty common. I shot about 400 rounds through a HK p2000sk when I was thinking of switching and recoil was very similar to me. Second, AIWB carry-this is made wonderful or miserable usually based on the quality / position of holster as well as the width of the pistol grip. When I started to transition to the P2000sk I thought that the pistol grip was thick but usable for AIWB carry. Take that with a grain of salt cuz I also liked carrying a Sig 229 AIWB. That being said, there is no substitue for having the pistol for a trisl period of about a month...I know, it'll be too late then. My best advice is that there is no substitute for a single stack pistol when you are going for AIWB carry-just my opinion. What was your previous AIWB gun if I may ask...

So my Current carry is the XD-s 9mm. I think it is quite comfortable, thin, and shoots well. I just would like to move away from a striker fired platform. I'd like to be able to ride the hammer down when re-holstering. I feel pretty safe now with it, but if I can find a hammer operated gun that can sit AIWB I'd take it! I don't want a manual safety or decocker, so LEM or DAO would be great. If I can get one that sits between 5-7 on the trigger pull that would be ideal. More than 7 seems pretty stiff too much less than 5, maybe a bit too light for my liking in an EDC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky74 View Post
    Thanks for the input. I was under the impression that the 40 would offer more stopping power and have read that the sk handles the recoil quite well. Is the USPc really small enough to carry AIWB? I have the USP expert in 9mm and assumed the compact version would still be quite large and uncomfortable for that carry? I love 9mm and so I will certainly consider sticking with that caliber, but is the USPc comfortable when driving too? Do you have any suggestions for holsters? I've looked at high noon and dale ficke (sp) but would love any info you might have. While we're at it, I carry 150 Federal HST micro 9mm. Do you recommend anything else and why? I only train with browning 147 grain; more recoil but less expensive than HST.
    As stated before aiwb is to each their own. AIWB is how i carry everyday. I started with an XDS 9mm. Then went to my USPc9. Now i carry my vp9. Oddly enough the larger the gun the more comfortable for me . Im 6'0" and 245. I can def drive comfortably with it but i usually remove it from my belt and wedge it between my seat and console. Easier to access if needed. As far as holsters i form my own Kydex. PM me and i can send you a pic.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

So I noticed the XD-S doesnt have a hammer...The Sig 226 then the 229 had a hammer that I grew to hate every time I sat down. They also seem to have an affinity for putting holes in shirts. Not that the rear sight on most pistols won't do that though...if I can ask why do you like riding the hammer into the holster? Im assuming you do this with the thumb of your strong hand? Im just curious as it breaks a good high grip and seems to be a muscle memory scar--I was always taught to come out of the holster moving toward a strong thumbs forward high grip and only break the grip when you are close to the body sliding down the abdomin or side into the holster. I had always heard that riding the thumb on the hammer was to ensure that the hammer was indeed down (decocked) and to prevent a snag and cock back AD etc. i can assure you that I did it on the Sig many times (to ensure I had decocked the pistol) until a helpful instructor taped my thumb to the grip....With DAO or LEM no need for checking to make sure the hammer is decocked. Do you ride the back of the slide on the XD-s down to the holster currently? If so, Why?

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cjude View Post
    So I noticed the XD-S doesnt have a hammer...The Sig 226 then the 229 had a hammer that I grew to hate every time I sat down. They also seem to have an affinity for putting holes in shirts. Not that the rear sight on most pistols won't do that though...if I can ask why do you like riding the hammer into the holster? Im assuming you do this with the thumb of your strong hand? Im just curious as it breaks a good high grip and seems to be a muscle memory scar--I was always taught to come out of the holster moving toward a strong thumbs forward high grip and only break the grip when you are close to the body sliding down the abdomin or side into the holster. I had always heard that riding the thumb on the hammer was to ensure that the hammer was indeed down (decocked) and to prevent a snag and cock back AD etc. i can assure you that I did it on the Sig many times (to ensure I had decocked the pistol) until a helpful instructor taped my thumb to the grip....With DAO or LEM no need for checking to make sure the hammer is decocked. Do you ride the back of the slide on the XD-s down to the holster currently? If so, Why?
    Riding the hammer is primarily a safety issue; by keeping the thumb on the hammer while holstering, one can keep the gun from going off should something snag the trigger. The foreign object pushing on the trigger will also generate noticeable feedback, as your thumb will feel pressure pushing back against it, so you will become aware that something has caught the trigger, and be able to rectify that issue, while at the same time having of kept the hammer from going back in the first place and potentially cranking off a round. Given that you have decided to holster your gun, breaking the master grip should not be an issue; I also do not have an issue re-establishing a nice, high grip, when starting from the position of riding the hammer, and I have fairly small hands (I use size small gloves from Outdoor Research, and size medium nitrile exam gloves).

This very concept was the impetus for The Gadget.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

The Gadget...interesting. If someone feels that they need an extra added layer of saftey as they dont handle firearms ona regular basis I guess thats good, or even if it just sdds an extra layer of comfort / piece of mind. I have seen the reports of ADs caused by poppers (those plastic bezels on North Face fleeces etc). Ive always just used the weak hand to sweep clothing etc out of the way making a safe path for the returning gun. Bottom line to OP is that in the absence of any work related policy (does not sound like an issue here) do what makes you feel comfortable and safe. I was just making the point that not riding the hammer does not necessarily create an unsafe situation.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links