H&K VP9 catastrophic failure w/ pics : Thoughts/Advice please! - Page 6
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: H&K VP9 catastrophic failure w/ pics : Thoughts/Advice please!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

From CTD's website regarding American Quality Ammunition, here are your tipoffs not to purchase:

American Quality Ammunition was formed in 1981 to meet the stringent needs of Law enforcement agencies on the West coast. Each round is hand inspected, every lot is velocity and pressure tested making this ammunition unsurpassed in both the LE and Commercial markets. 9mm is also known and listed as 9x19mm, 9mm Parabellum, 9mm Para, 9mm NATO and 9mm Luger.

Proudly made in America by American's who believe in only producing quality products, American Quality Ammunition.

1. each round hand inspected? i call BS.

2. incorrect use of an apostrophe. highly suspect.
    Last edited by squib308; 12-04-2016 at 03:28 PM.

Banned

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Bud, I am going to apologize and retract that statement. I must be getting senile. I was sure that two different people told me that and I asked both of them today. They had no clue what I was talking about. I need to go re-check my blood lead levels again.
    Hey, no problem... we are all getting older. :)

Really liking this HK Stuff Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm glad to hear that no one was seriously injured! Assuming it's the ammo, I too have refused to buy remanufactured ammo when I can get new factory or Freedom Munitions (new) ammo in bulk for almost the same price online when on sale. I have friends that shoot reman (MBI, Freedom Munitions) occasionally and have never had any issues, but I've heard enough negative/cautionary feedback to just not take the chance just to save maybe $10-$20 per case effectively.

I am interested to see how this all works out for you... best of luck and once again I'm glad no one was seriously hurt.
    HK VP40 (+.357 Sig barrel)
    HK VP9
    SA TRP Operator
    CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical 9MM
    Sig Sauer P320F RX
    Sig Sauer P320C .40 S&W/.357 SIG
    Sig Sauer P226 Legion 9MM
    Glock 21 & 30 (Gen 4)
    Glock 19 (Gen 4)
    S&W 686 Plus .357 MAG 4"

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

mew
    Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by squib308 View Post

2. incorrect use of an apostrophe. highly suspect.
    now that's just funny right there..........
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
    Edmund Burke

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Why put 86 octane fuel in your Ferrari? Why use crappy, suspect ammo in an HK?

Nonetheless, hope it works out.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jhb View Post
    often barrels bulge slightly, or a lot if its a cheaper gun, from squibs and another round fired. i didnt notice any barrel bulging? what am i missing that you are seeing? thanks.
    I am focusing on the way the casing blew out. Most overcharged rounds will seperate the casings. This one vented through the strongest part of the case. If you look down the barrel you can see where it forced through on the inside rear of casing. I would not think all squibs would bulge a barrel. Would think a few factors would affect it like how far seperated the squib was from the round loaded after it, also the vented casing as well as the squib being projected may have brought the presuure down enough. Guess we will have to see what CS says after pulling it down and closer examination.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Things could have been worse. Good thing it wasn't

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jpgeorge View Post
    I had a round explode in my USP9F years ago. It was definitely the ammo. I shot Winchester White bulk box through EVERYTHING. I saved the ammo, but it was one bad round in thousands.
    I had one of those too. I contacted Winchester, who told me it was my fault "because I had reloaded it". Except that I had never (and still have never) reloaded anything.

Glad nobody was really harmed. Let us know how it works out.
    Last edited by LarryP; 12-05-2016 at 01:07 PM.

1972 914/6 3.0 (Gone and forgotten)
    1995 993 RS (Gone but not forgotten)
    2004 GT3 (Gone and forgotten)
    1984 944, 2005 GT3 RS and 2008 Boxster (Current)

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

I don't see how this can be anything other than an ammo problem. All a gun has to do is feed, fire, and eject the round. If something is wrong with the gun, it will fail to do one or more, not blow up. The symptoms show a severe overpressure condition. If your barrel were somehow grossly undersized and resulted is a bullet getting stuck, you would have seen that on the very first rounds ever fired, not 150 rounds later.

If the ammo manufacturer claims it's a gun problem, I'd love to hear their logic for a failure mechanism

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Wow...been shooting my grey VP9 a lot lately, really sad to see this happen -- glad everyone is ok.

I suppose we all like to assume that all ammo is safe and the differences are in the accuracy/performance, but I don't think many people consider this. I'd agree with others who said you should send it into HK and have documentation from them saying it was an ammo failure, and then bringing that to the ammo mfr. I'm sure HK will replace the gun in good faith even if it had nothing to do with them (because they know we'll all hear about your horrible experience with HK if they don't).

But as others have said, if the ammo mfr is smart, they'll offer to buy you a new gun, reimburse you for all medical bills, offer a settlement amount, and send you a life-time supply of 9mm (even though I wouldn't use it again). If you take this to court you could be looking at a major lawsuit with a big payout. I would call the ammo company and see how they react -- if they are apologetic and offer a reasonable settlement for out of court and they are nice about it, I'd say take it. If they tell you to shove it, put them out of business.

Either way best of luck and glad everyone's alive.
    Last edited by djm214; 12-05-2016 at 04:15 PM.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links