GG&G MK23 Rail adapter. Info inside. 50% There! - Page 11
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: GG&G MK23 Rail adapter. Info inside. 50% There!

Really liking this HK Stuff Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Personally I think everything that is needed for a MK23 rail is already here. @Lobos8403 + @THRLSEKR should team up and design a rail together.

My ultimate goal would be to have a nice rail, something akin to the original Surefire MK23 Prototype rail that was SUPER LOW PROFILE and sits PERFECTLY with the X-series of lights. This would be the home run! and it WILL sell and if I had the time and knowledge to design it and find a machinist to produce it then I would've! sadly the limit to designing is photoshop.

Come on guys I know that we can do it and if the original ~40 HKpro members are interested in a community designed rail that isn't bulky and is nice looking (MAKE IT THE SURE FIRE DESIGN) then it would be a home run that other will eventually jump on.
    Hk 416
    Hk UMP45
    Hk MP5K-N
    Hk MP5K
    Hk MP5FA2
    Hk MK23
    B&TAPC223

Unrepentant HKHolic

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

A much smarter man than I asked me a thought provoking question today. Is this Mark 23 adaptor niche so much of a niche as to be a phantom market? What say Ye? After all, how many Mark 23s are out there? We already have a viable inexpensive option available right here in River City. Why haven't those moved more? For the convenience and practicality alone of being able to use cheaper sacrificial illuminator rather than a 2000.00 collector piece, that ought to be worth the risk of a trial purchase. I like the minimalist design of the gg&g bikini style adaptor, but it feels like we're over-thinking this or the the niche is a phantom.

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sextus View Post
    Im very happy to see such passion for what is arguably the best 45 in the world. My last count was roughly 65 total with a few of them on a FB group. GG&G needed a SEMI-FIRM commitment of at least 100 units to begin the conceptualization stage to get this made. I know that there are tons of MK23s out there, I guess people just get lazy when things are introduced.

If anybody is willing to pick up the mantle (I'm looking at you @AGG ) I would gladly share my contact information with GGG.
    @Sextus --- I stated before that I would gladly offer my suggestions, on the aesthetics of the mount, to GG&G!!!
    If you want, call your GG&G contact, let him know that I will be calling him, provide me his contact information, and send me a list of potential purchasers (from all venues).

Tony

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by azimuth View Post
    A much smarter man than I asked me a thought provoking question today. Is this Mark 23 adaptor niche so much of a niche as to be a phantom market? What say Ye? After all, how many Mark 23's are out there? We already have a viable inexpensive option available right here in River City. Why haven't those moved more? For the convenience and practicality alone of being able to use cheaper sacrificial illuminator rather than a 2000.00 collector piece, that ought to be worth the risk of a trial purchase. I like the minimalist design of the gg&g bikini style adaptor, but it feels like we're over-thinking this or the the niche is a phantom.
    At last count, @ 17,773 (worldwide, with the overwhelming majority in the U.S.)--- this would also allow use of the LAM 100 (AN/PEQ-6) and LAM 1000 (AN/PEQ-14), which are more readily available than the LAM 400/450/1400/1450!!!

Tony

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by azimuth View Post
    We already have a viable inexpensive option available right here in River City. Why haven't those moved more? For the convenience and practicality alone of being able to use cheaper sacrificial illuminator
    Which option is this talking about, the 3d printed rail convertor or something else? I wasn't sure what the comment alluded to, just making sure I knew what you meant.

Shockwave

Premium Professional
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AGG View Post
    @Sextus --- I stated before that I would gladly offer my suggestions, on the aesthetics of the mount, to GG&G!!!
    If you want, call your GG&G contact, let him know that I will be calling him, provide me his contact information, and send me a list of potential purchasers (from all venues).

Tony
    Tony,

I like you, but you are either missing or ignoring his point. SEXTUS said he's DONE. (And rightly disappointed) He bore the idea of a NEW Metal adapter, by all estimates and imaginings....it'd be better than mine, updated his post, and all but BEGGED for interest to get to the aforementioned 100! He stated from JumpStreet the magic number and now that it has not been achieved, has thrown in the towel. Publicly and Privately to me. He, nor G,G&G need your "input", they need ONE HUNDRED pieces of INTEREST.

FredG54 made the inquiry 2 days ago, then kindly (and politely) accepted Sextus answer, with a Thank You.

TLOU Joel, found it hard to believe there were not 100 interested parties, well Sir, I know AND believe.

I'm not calling you out Tony, again...you're a Font of information and a Gentleman, but to state the obvious SEXTUS said, ' Someone else can LEAD the charge to GATHER the 100 (or the remainder) he's Out.

For me? I'll not even BUMP my own again. Sales were dismal, but I really only created it in the first place b/c I needed 3 for personal use. I resign my endeavor to Lesson Learned, but remain deeply proud of the R&D, then the thorough T&E that went into it.

Unrepentant HKHolic

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shockwave View Post
    Which option is this talking about, the 3d printed rail convertor or something else? I wasn't sure what the comment alluded to, just making sure I knew what you meant.

Shockwave
    I was referring to the 3d printed adaptor. I was a beta tester and though initially skeptical, became a convert. For 50.00 it's worth the gamble IMO. Especially in light of the ability to use a light that does not cost 2000.00 or whatever the LAM is up to now. Even though I already have a LAM, I'm not comfortable with it on my Mark 23 out in the world. For 50.00 I can preserve the virginity of my LAM. Worth it!

ETA: I am trying to walk the thin line between enthusiast and advocate. I am enthusiastic about the inexpensive 3d printed adaptor enough that I want others to try it. Yum. This tastes good. Here, try it......
    Last edited by azimuth; 04-07-2017 at 10:15 PM.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sextus View Post
    My ultimate goal would be to have a nice rail, something akin to the original Surefire MK23 Prototype rail that was SUPER LOW PROFILE and sits PERFECTLY with the X-series of lights. This would be the home run! and it WILL sell and if I had the time and knowledge to design it and find a machinist to produce it then I would've! sadly the limit to designing is photoshop.

Come on guys I know that we can do it and if the original ~40 HKpro members are interested in a community designed rail that isn't bulky and is nice looking (MAKE IT THE SURE FIRE DESIGN) then it would be a home run that other will eventually jump on.
    You are spot on in your assessment. When i think about what i want in terms of a light mount/rail adapter, the Surefire design is exactly what i envision. It's so svelte, it looks as though it's always been a part of the weapon and isn't an aftermarket add-on. I also believe that you are spot on in your statement that these would be a home run and sell like hotcakes. If they were already a tangible product on the market and not just a concept or prototype, they would continue to sell as long as HK makes the Mark 23, and perhaps even beyond that. Folks who buy Mark 23s used would become the target market. Using Tony's numbers, if even 10% of Mark 23 owners bought one, that's close to 1800 units. Granted, that's not a huge number in the grand scheme of things, but it's nearly 50x the number of people who have shown an interest here.

Sadly, the only support i am able to provide this project is my earnest commitment to purchase the finished product. If this were 5 years ago, i'd have access to a friend's machine shop and it's 5-axis CNC machining center and CAD software. But my friend has since retired and sold his shop. I definitely feel your frustration, as it's been 15 years since i've worked in a machine shop and the knowledge/skill gap between what i possess and what is required to successfully undertake this project individually (or even as part of a team) is too great. So, should anyone have the knowledge, tools, and means of seeing this through, i remain committed to purchase the end product.
    Last edited by Deadwing; 04-08-2017 at 12:55 PM.
    "It's time to start slapping people." - George Carlin

NRA Life Member

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Unrepentant HKHolic

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AGG View Post
    At last count, @ 17,773 (worldwide, with the overwhelming majority in the U.S.)--- this would also allow use of the LAM 100 (AN/PEQ-6) and LAM 1000 (AN/PEQ-14), which are more readily available than the LAM 400/450/1400/1450!!!

Tony
    True and the LAM 1000 are more likely to have IR capability!

Premium Professional
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

This whole thread/concept/product.....is truly my albatross. Like an impending car wreck, I really Wanna look away, but just cain't.

I have resigned myself to the fact that there will NEVER be a 'consensus' on design or want, but the recent installments seem to lean toward a skeletonized mount (as pictured above) That i.m.o. is only viable for a LIGHT. Why? Simple, lateral torque. I'm no Engineer, i'll leave that to @Lobos8403 and @Klaustrophobia . My $.03 is, with a rear-anchor point and 'rails/forks' going forward in the host slots, how in the world would that be stable for a laser? Holstering in real-world conditions or stresses, snagging or breakage?

To the guys who want the "integral thumbwheel AND slim/streamlined/low profile". Nope. Tradeoffs. The LAM's are BIG devices, slightly smaller than a pack a cigarettes. There was ROOM in there for the wheel with the threaded post at 'assembly' of the clamshell. There is no putting one INSIDE a metal adapter unless it too has halves. So to have it on the "outside" of the t.g. (part of the adapter itself) is silly to me. While not revolutionary, my idea of putting the wheel "inside" the t.g. is completely viable. It passed clean through the threaded insert and pulls the adapter tight. Again, I challenge (read: dare) you to tell me it interferes with the trigger finger in that ginormous cavity.

The G,G&G USP mount, as it is... is 3 pieces! It literally BOLTS together at the short PIC rail. That's not going to "twist"? It is also designed for JUST the S.F. X-lights with the 1 slot. Other mfr.'s will surely index further away or not make the (1) slot at All. It's streamlined and uber cool yes, but is it practical AND durable ? So is it a LIGHT Only rail that's desired, in metal/aluminum. Or again, to my Apocalypse Gun purists, (no plastics) what say YOU about those "forks" and holding laser zero?

[facepalm]
    Last edited by THRLSEKR; 04-10-2017 at 02:23 PM.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links