A puzzle for you to solve if you can! - Page 12
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: A puzzle for you to solve if you can!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Not buying your theory. I don't believe it to be mechanically related. An interesting photo indeed and thought provoking as well. Thanks for sharing.

FS1
    Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

No Doubt a real mind bender. After reading the entire thread and now knowing the exposure settings and that a Strobe was fired. I would have to agree that this is a photo anomaly.

I sat here bending my brain looking for reasons to validate my 2cent theory and I could not. The single thing that changed my thinking is the fact there is no smoke visible. The reason there is no smoke visible I think is because there was no light available to show it. And as previously argued the strobe froze the action right before hammer strike and the only light available for exposure afterwards was the glow of combustion. The smoke was there but the with light available the camera could not record it.

The question is not not one of firearm physics and engineereing but rather camera physics and engineering.
    Last edited by FS1; 01-20-2017 at 11:10 AM.
    A Diamond is just a piece of coal that made good under pressure!

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Crashmc View Post
    BTW - Post # 43 was the first mention of the Firing Pin. . .
    You're right! Sorry I missed you Crashmc
    HK is the way!

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by orfeo View Post
    You're right! Sorry I missed you Crashmc
    No problemo . Big bubbles no troubles.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    NRA Certified RSO

Be where your feet are

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Not to go over everything further as I think the theories presented here have all been well presented, but to move to a further interesting thing to think about on firearm operation:

What if hammers returned by firing pin force and/or shockwave?

One thing we know is that tuning a semiauto pistol for proper return of the slide, not too fast and not too slow, can be done not only by the recoil but also by the hammer spring. You don't necessarily change just one, and you have the option of changing either to be able to match a heavier or lighter load.

Conventional theory is, both are involved because the returning slide has to compress both the recoil spring and the hammer spring.

Changing the hammer spring strength in small increments up or down adjusts slide return speed pretty smoothly and predictably. I have not heard of where there's a sudden different mode of operation on adding or taking away a little more hammer spring strength, or there's a sudden big change in the slide slamming or not, or the gun ejecting brass at far different speed.

If a gun returned the hammer (sometimes or always) by firing pin and/or shockwave action rather than slide movement, already cocking the hammer before the slide even moves, how would changing hammer spring strength adjust slide return speed?

Or, if this action moved the hammer nearly all the way back but without cocking it, what would the hammer then do after being propelled nearly all the way back but not catching? Would this be stressful and something for engineers to want to take out, or not a problem really? Has there been expert discussion of the hammer moving this way as normal?

What would happen if a gun nearly fully returned the hammer by firing pin and/or the described shockwave effect, and you then went just a little lighter on the hammer spring? Would there be a sudden change in how much resistance there was to slide return?

Maybe interesting to think about, what with no new SHOT show releases. HK could have at least introduced Corinthian leather optional case linings.
    Last edited by trenace; 01-20-2017 at 05:53 PM.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

What is the PF of the ammo being fired ?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I haven't read any responses, but here's why: It's not. When shooting a camera in dusk lighting, the shutter must stay open longer to capture enough light to create the photo. In doing this, it catches a sweep of the hammer rather than it's position at a milisecond. If it were mid-day and sunny, we'd not see it.

Shooting a camera that's shooting a gun in lower light is nice because it makes it easier to capture muzzle flash due to the longer exposure. IF you can find the sweat spot, you'll get the flash without the shot being blurry.

What do I win?

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have to say, trenace and all the other photographic anomaly posters are VERY smart and knowledgeable. I may be wrong, and they may be right!

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Crashmc View Post
    What is the PF of the ammo being fired ?
    It was handloaded Montana Gold 115 grain FMJ over 4.7 grains of Winchester 231, with Winchester Small Pistol primers and re-fired Remington cases at 1.150 OAL. Average velocity 1,057 feet per second.
    Last edited by orfeo; 01-20-2017 at 06:55 PM.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by orfeo View Post
    I have to say, trenace and all the other photographic anomaly posters are VERY smart and knowledgeable. I may be wrong, and they may be right!
    And then, by default, my comments would be correct as well. Sort of. Photography is an amazing subject.
    Sparkplugs are irrelevant.
    Plenty of HK's and clones.

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links