A puzzle for you to solve if you can! - Page 14
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: A puzzle for you to solve if you can!

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by No.body View Post
    I could be mistaken but that looks like an LEM Hammer. . .
    As stated in post #1, it's a Variant 1
    HK is the way!

FS1
    Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Somewhere in Germany a room full of HK Engineers are laughing histerically. :)
    A Diamond is just a piece of coal that made good under pressure!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ok now you have me laying in bed thinking about this....grin

Pardon my question if it was asked earlier....but was this one of those burst photos from [your nikon as I recall] where the camera takes multiple photos in a burst? You had posted some recoil photos but I don't recall if you mentioned those were from the same photo stream. If a burst, the photos before and/or after would give a clue.

I have a hard time believing that HK would want their firing pin and hammer bouncing back and forth multiple times on one cycle.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

I'm curious if this may be happening on my Full size USP .45 or just my USP Compact 9mm?
    Unless we get a high speed video recording, we may never know. =)
    How about all auto loaders or is this unique to USP's

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk
    The Spirit of God hath made me, the breath of the Almighty hath given me life

Hidden Content Hidden Content

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beendare View Post
    . . . was this one of those burst photos from [your nikon as I recall] where the camera takes multiple photos in a burst? . .
    No. . . it was a single shot pic

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Kost View Post
    I'm curious if this may be happening on my Full size USP .45 or just my USP Compact 9mm? . . . How about all auto loaders or is this unique to USP's?
    I've been wondering the exact same thing for years. . .

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The reason I just can't swallow it being a photographic anomaly is that there is no "ghost hammer" as seen in Post #121. There is no blurring at all of the hammer in Post #1, PLUS the hammer-channel in the slide is perfectly clear. . . just as clear as any other part of the picture.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

That is because it is relative.

In the photo of post #121, the camera "saw" the hammer in the down position a percentage of total exposure time that gave that degree of ghosting. Bigger percent of the total exposure time, more solid or even apparently solid; lower percent, less solid or even vanishing. Lighting was also equal in both cases for his photo, but not for yours. (Illuminated by flash for the hammer back position, but not for hammer down.)

In your photograph, how long could the hammer have been down for, if the exposure ended at the creation of the fireball? A super short time, as once the hammer strikes the primer things happen really really fast. So even if there had been plenty of light, the degree of "ghosting" would have been very little indeed.

On top of this, the flash would have ended by then.

1) Flash captures hammer where you see it
    2) Flash ends, lighting is very low, hammer moves or moves further, FAST.
    3) Hammer is down for tiny fraction of time, in poor lighting
    4) Fireball forms
    5) Exposure ends.

No ghosting expected.

Have you ever been in a dark fun house with strobe lights? Even moving things get frozen and appear sharp and still. Sharpness and apparent stillness don't mean they're not moving.
    Last edited by trenace; 01-21-2017 at 07:06 PM.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by orfeo View Post
    The reason I just can't swallow it being a photographic anomaly is that there is no "ghost hammer" as seen in Post #121. There is no blurring at all of the hammer in Post #1, PLUS the hammer-channel in the slide is perfectly clear. . . just as clear as any other part of the picture.
    If you watch this sequence at 2:35 it may help understand the absence of blur:

https://youtu.be/F-aXf0XbfPY

FS1
    Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by djeuch View Post
    I'd still be curious if the picture was taken in portrait or landscape. Not commonly known, but dSLRs still have a moving curtain which doesn't take the entire frame of the picture at once. If the camera is held in a portrait stance (vertically), the shutter will move from one side to the other over the time period.
    This is interesting but would not be relevant in this case since the camera fired a strobe. When the camera knows it will fire the strobe it must be sure the entire frame is available for exposure. This may be why the Camera chose 125th of second. If the curtain was only a small slot when the strobe fired you would see the curtain. Or only a small slice of the frame.

When the strobe is in play the first curtain opens fully exposing the sensor then the strobe fires and only after that will the second curtain drop. 125th of a second may be the setting that allows this. Otherwise on auto no strobe the camera would have chosen a much slower speed due to the lack of available light. Auto likely defaults at an ISO of 200. If the Camera was set to a higher ISO setting we may have have seen the hammer blur and the smoke.

Does that make any sense? I'm old and when I was in school we used film and film speed was our ISO setting.

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Sponsored Links